Unable to interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdmed2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am planning on applying this summer for the 2015 match, but I was recently told I will be deployed during interview season. Does anyone have experience or heard of applicants doing phone or some other type of non face to face interview? I know there are some mil guys on here that may have experience with this. Less than ideal for both myself and the program but I really don't want to postpone training another year.

Members don't see this ad.

wow, that sucks! I don't know about military deployment, what dates exactly you're going to be deployed (could you still make early or late interview season?), or whether face to face interviews (or skype?) have happened. I will say that prior to interview season, I had no clue how I was going to rank programs. For me, and probably most people, the physical interview, talking to applicants, and seeing what the flavor of the program was, was definitely critical in making my decision. It moved some programs way up my list and I did not rank some programs because of interview day experiences.

In reality, predicting exact dates is as futile as predicting the weather. However, I'm confident I will not be around during interview season. I did am internship, so I understand of the importance of getting the feel of a program, but at the expense of postponing an additional year, I am willing to take the risk. My fate has been out of my hands for the last few years, so I can tolerate 3 more years on a blind decision as long as it is good training :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Fear not, things will work out! I was deployed SEP-APR and was unable to physically attend any interviews. My plan was to do a civilian residency following my military commitment. So I applied for advanced programs 2 years in advance and cast a very wide net. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a number of interviews. I replied to each of these invites with an email explaining that I was deployed and unable to physically attend the interview but would be thrilled if they would consider doing a skype or phone interview. 70% or so agreed and were able to actually follow up on that. Most programs had never done a Skype interview before but were understanding of the situation. Long story short, I successfully matched at a great program via a Skype interview. In the end, it worked out well and I saved myself a ton of money! If you want more info send me a private message and I'll give you my cell.

Reactions: 1 user
Fear not, things will work out! I was deployed SEP-APR and was unable to physically attend any interviews. My plan was to do a civilian residency following my military commitment. So I applied for advanced programs 2 years in advance and cast a very wide net. I was fortunate enough to be invited to a number of interviews. I replied to each of these invites with an email explaining that I was deployed and unable to physically attend the interview but would be thrilled if they would consider doing a skype or phone interview. 70% or so agreed and were able to actually follow up on that. Most programs had never done a Skype interview before but were understanding of the situation. Long story short, I successfully matched at a great program via a Skype interview. In the end, it worked out well and I saved myself a ton of money! If you want more info send me a private message and I'll give you my cell.
YES. Saving money on travel to interviews and avoiding begging my CO for TAD sounds excellent. I'll get in touch with you. Thanks!