unaffiliated rotations as FMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

radiologygirl

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all

what states do not allow FMGs to do unaffiliated electives for licensure.

I attend SGU and have 4 weeks away arranged already. Should I just do this in my own time just so that i dont complicate things in the future.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

radiologygirl said:
Hello all

what states do not allow FMGs to do unaffiliated electives for licensure.

I attend SGU and have 4 weeks away arranged already. Should I just do this in my own time just so that i dont complicate things in the future.

thanks

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking if there are states which don't allow students not affiliated with their own medical school(s) to do rotations?

I am not aware of any state which has such a blanket prohibition although in the past Pennsylvania would not allow you to count any rotations done in that state towards the required number of weeks for eligibility for a Pennsylvania license. This was the only state I've ever heard of doing so.

For more information on State Medical Board requirements, you can check http://www.fsmb.org.

Your second question is rather unclear as well. Are you asking whether you should use vacation time to do your away elective? I'm not sure that would make any difference, although using vacation time can increase the amount of time for away rotations. However, as a SGU student, aren't all your rotations arranged through the school itself? Or are you allowed a certain number of weeks of electives that you can do anywhere?