Unbalanced MCAT 14,9,14; help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OHabNCH

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post obviously. I was looking for some feedback about my list of schools and my chances. Any comments are welcome. If anyone has any suggestions about schools I should add or remove from the list that would be great but please give an explination.

Basic Info:
Ohio Resident
Micro major 3.92 cGPA I haven't calculated my sGPA but it should come out to be roughly the same
MCAT 14PS 9VR 14BS N (37N)

ECs:
-2yrs Research in a Microbial Pathogenesis Lab. 4 poster presentation, awarded twice for presentations. 1 regional conference. 2 merit based scholarships for research. No pubs currently however I may have a second author pub on the way, too bad it will be after I apply
-200 h volunteering. approx. 150 in an ED the rest in the SICU and a rehab center
-2 quarters as a micro TA
-Mentor for a child from an underprivileged community. Just started this one at the beginning of last month
-45 hours shadowing. an anesthesiologist and a family practitioner.
-2 graduate courses. immuno and pathogenesis

School list:
Albany
Case Western
Emory
Duke
Dartmouth
Keck
Mayo
New York Medical College
Northwestern
Saint Louis
Stony Brook
Ohio State
Toledo
UCSD
Cincinatti
North Carolina
Virgina
Vandy
Wright State

Do you guys think this list is too top heavy and do I have enough schools within my reach? I'm concerned about my unbalanced MCAT score but I think retaking would be insane. You guys will have to take my word on the strong LORs and PS. Thanks for your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

great stats and great EC's. You are set! Good luck!

x

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I thought about U of M, I really need to look into them more. I just know they place a lot of emphasis on stats. Also I don't think I'm going to apply to NEOMED, I don't think it's the best fit for me. Im not really concerned that I won't have a successful cycle. I'm confident that I'll get in somewhere, I just want to maximize my chances by having a well rounded list of schools for a person with my stats. Does anyone think this is too top heavy? I was thinking about adding Virginia Tech and maybe Commonweath or EVMC. Any thoughts on these or any other medical to add?

A 9 isn't bad, and your other two subsections should more than make up for it :) I think your list looks good so far. You could add UK and Louisville, maybe? Adding the VA schools would be fine too. But your list honestly seems really balanced to me.

If it makes you feel better, I had a very similar score (14PS, 10VR, 13BS) and had success this last cycle.
Oh no, a high 90th percentile MCAT poor you. OP should be fine.

I do not think your list is too top heavy. If anything, I would add a few more top schools. Consider Pittsburg

Thanks for the feedback. I'll consider adding a few more top tier schools. I'm glad to hear that my list is well balanced. I need to do some more research on the schools I've chosen and the ones im thinking about. U Chicago doesn't look to bad either...