Unbalanced MCAT, any chance for DO? International student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdbsy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 27 (11/6/10)
Undergrad GPA: Unknown, awaiting for verification by WES, foreign transcript, 3.4 I'd say
Postbac GPA: 3.76 (all science upper division classes including biochemistry, virology and molecular cell biology)

My undergrad GPA was dragged down in my senior year because I was quite miserable and did a lot of jobs/volunteers to figure out what I wished to do. The first two years were quite good. But I'm not gonna use this as an excuse. That's why I came here and did postbac.

I have good ECs (including 250+ hours volunteer in hospital, 1 year in hospice, 30+ hours shadowing MD. And outside US I've got 100 hours shadowing and 500 hours volunteering in China. Used to work as a masseur in Australia for 900+hours, part time employments; administrator in computer company for 600 hours, plus something else like tutor for 10 months, carrier in a factory for 60 hours, waiter for 100 hours, volunteers in one-time events around 40 hours. BUT NO RESEARCH)

PS with kinda good story (said by my PS readers), cLOR (got one from the doc I'm shadowing with, good. One from the professor, good; and one from volunteer coordinator in hospice, strong)

I know my identification (international student without GC, Chinese, age 26) directly blows me out of the MD schools. I'm thinking of retaking on 07/02 but not sure if I could improve in VR (non native English speaker). But I could get higher scores in PS/BS definitely.

The 6 in VR kills me. I'm wondering if some DO schools gonna open to me. And the Caribbean schools are also in my consideration, despite most people have bad impression to them. Advices?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Anyone? Please I need urgent advices.

My reply won't help you but I'll say my two cents anyways.

Your circumstances are rather unusual and I don't know much about how adcoms view students like you. That might explain the lack of replies. On one hand your stats are good, with extensive clinical exposure; on the other, that verbal reasoning will get not pass many automatic screens.

So, I dunno. Best of luck to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
My reply won't help you but I'll say my two cents anyways.

Your circumstances are rather unusual and I don't know much about how adcoms view students like you. That might explain the lack of replies. On one hand your stats are good, with extensive clinical exposure; on the other, that verbal reasoning will get not pass many automatic screens.

So, I dunno. Best of luck to you.

lol:( Thank you anyway.

Any more advice??? I'm waiting

MCAT: 27 (11/6/10)
Undergrad GPA: Unknown, awaiting for verification by WES, foreign transcript, 3.4 I'd say
Postbac GPA: 3.76 (all science upper division classes including biochemistry, virology and molecular cell biology)

My undergrad GPA was dragged down in my senior year because I was quite miserable and did a lot of jobs/volunteers to figure out what I wished to do. The first two years were quite good. But I'm not gonna use this as an excuse. That's why I came here and did postbac.

I have good ECs (including 250+ hours volunteer in hospital, 1 year in hospice, 30+ hours shadowing MD. And outside US I've got 100 hours shadowing and 500 hours volunteering in China. Used to work as a masseur in Australia for 900+hours, part time employments; administrator in computer company for 600 hours, plus something else like tutor for 10 months, carrier in a factory for 60 hours, waiter for 100 hours, volunteers in one-time events around 40 hours. BUT NO RESEARCH)

PS with kinda good story (said by my PS readers), cLOR (got one from the doc I'm shadowing with, good. One from the professor, good; and one from volunteer coordinator in hospice, strong)

I know my identification (international student without GC, Chinese, age 26) directly blows me out of the MD schools. I'm thinking of retaking on 07/02 but not sure if I could improve in VR (non native English speaker). But I could get higher scores in PS/BS definitely.

The 6 in VR kills me. I'm wondering if some DO schools gonna open to me. And the Caribbean schools are also in my consideration, despite most people have bad impression to them. Advices?

27 is a rock solid MCAT for DO even with the 6 vr, and if your GPA is around what you estimate I think you should get plenty of interviews.

27 is a rock solid MCAT for DO even with the 6 vr, and if your GPA is around what you estimate I think you should get plenty of interviews.

Thanks man. I had graduated from postbac so both of my GPAs are fixed and will not change anymore. Do you think I still get chance considering the international student identification?

And if I registered for retaking, should I let them know that? Or just applying with this score?