Unbalanced MCAT... what are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

de_mon_vivant

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Firstly thank you for your interest in reading my thread.

I previously posted the same thread on Pre-DO forum, not knowing there was a dedicated forum for school list questions. I was wondering if I could receive more feedback for a school list.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.73, sGPA: 3.65

MCAT:
504 (128/122 :( /128/126)

ECs:
Clinical volunteering 150 hours
Non-clinical volunteering 120 hours combined
Shadowing 55 hours (shadowed a DO physician, and received a letter)
Research with 2 symposium and presentations. Currently working in a lab during my gap year.

My main concern is the awfully unbalanced MCAT score. I am considering a retake as I think I might get screened out due to that CARS subscore... should I apply? I am not sure if I should even bother applying to my state MD school (even though I live in one of the "lucky" states). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@Goro : Thank you for your suggestion in my thread on Pre-DO forum. I am from PNW, so I am considering applying to every school close to PNW like PNWU, both Westerns, Touro-CA, and AZCOM in addition to schools like both PCOMs, VCOM, KCU and so on. I could not find any information on MCAT subscore screening from these schools, though. Should I proceed and apply? Thank you so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

Firstly thank you for your interest in reading my thread.

I previously posted the same thread on Pre-DO forum, not knowing there was a dedicated forum for school list questions. I was wondering if I could receive more feedback for a school list.

Stats:
cGPA: 3.73, sGPA: 3.65

MCAT:
504 (128/122 :( /128/126)

ECs:
Clinical volunteering 150 hours
Non-clinical volunteering 120 hours combined
Shadowing 55 hours (shadowed a DO physician, and received a letter)
Research with 2 symposium and presentations. Currently working in a lab during my gap year.

My main concern is the awfully unbalanced MCAT score. I am considering a retake as I think I might get screened out due to that CARS subscore... should I apply? I am not sure if I should even bother applying to my state MD school (even though I live in one of the "lucky" states). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

@Goro : Thank you for your suggestion in my thread on Pre-DO forum. I am from PNW, so I am considering applying to every school close to PNW like PNWU, both Westerns, Touro-CA, and AZCOM in addition to schools like both PCOMs, VCOM, KCU and so on. I could not find any information on MCAT subscore screening from these schools, though. Should I proceed and apply? Thank you so much.
You should be applying broadly! Add TUCOM and BCOM to the list.

Reactions: 1 users
You should be applying broadly! Add TUCOM and BCOM to the list.

Will add those schools to the list. Thank you! May I ask you a question regarding MCAT subscore screening policies among DO schools? I tried to look up one on several schools like PCOM, but I could not find any. I was wondering if you knew if there were any schools that have screening policies for subscores. Thanks so much for your continued advice!

Will add those schools to the list. Thank you! May I ask you a question regarding MCAT subscore screening policies among DO schools? I tried to look up one on several schools like PCOM, but I could not find any. I was wondering if you knew if there were any schools that have screening policies for subscores. Thanks so much for your continued advice!
I don't. Finding that out is your job, actually. Call some Admissions deans.