UNC and FAFSA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsweeney

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
From other people's experiences, about how much money do students have left over for daily living after tuition and fees are deducted at UNC, assuming I accept the entire reward. I just hope I have enough for groceries, mortgage, bills, and some fun.

Thank you!

-Richard

Members don't see this ad.

You will have plenty of money if you take the full award. I think when you pay tuition and fees, you should have around 6-7,000 left for the roughly 4 month semester. Basically you will have at least 1500/month to live off, which is more than plenty. I usually end up with some left at the end of each semester that I just put in savings. If you think about it, the interest rate on these loans is so low (3%) that if you have extra you might as well keep it. You will never get a loan that cheap in 4 years. Just my take.

Members don't see this ad :)
DcS -
I will be attending UNC in Aug and am worried about all the financial issues - I too have a mortgage When I talked to financial aid at UNC they quoted that I would have $10,000 for "room and board - and food' for the entire first year - Aug - May. From your experience there seemed to be actually a little more - I could definitely swing the $1500 per month - but it would really be close on around $1000. So could you fill me in on how you had so much left over after tuition and books -
Much thanks!

Basically, I am receiving the max amount in loans. After tuition was deducted, I had about 9600 deposited in the bank for the semester. Subtract about 500 for healthcare for the semester, and 1800 for fees...that leaves about 7300 living expenses. That's for Jan 1st thru about May 15. Divide the 7300 by 4.5 months and that's about 1600 per month.

Hey gang!

I'll be at UNC in the fall also!
Are all of you instate or out of state?

For those of you in Chapel Hell (sorry i'm from NCSU), are there any apts you would recommend in the area? Or for those that own condos or townhomes....any recommendations?

Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Can't wait to see all of you in the fall!

Bustin' out with the anti-Carolina comments and expecting some good advice? Hmmm...

Nothing against UNC, I just like to play around. I've been here all my life so I know how the rivalry can be.

With several family at UNC including my wife who works there, I can keep the State comments to a minimum!

By the way gang, I'm Miguel. Again, feel free to email me or AOL IM at lmgonza2.

[email protected]

Can't wait to start!

Nice to here from future classmates!
Send in your FAFSA!