1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

UNC-Chapel Hill Interview

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by sam1234, Sep 23, 2002.

1. sam1234

sam1234 Member
    7+ Year Member

I heard a lot about UNC and when I got a chance to see i liked the school too. I think UNC has great reputation and good clinicals too. But, i was very disappointed by couple of things.

1. The way the interviews were held.
    2. The part 1 scores of National boards.

Interview Format: There were 3 1-on-1 interviews. I had one student interview and 2 Faculty interviews. Each lasted roughly 15 min's.

The distribution between in-state and Out-state is 80%-20%. There are round about 80 total seats. Out of which roughly 12 are for out-of-state applicants.

I knew these stats before hand but the thing that pissed me off was the first question the interviewer was asking me was whether i was in-state or out-state. I felt one of the interviewers hardly read my file. Once i answered out-state i felt they hardly showed any interest in me.

They had invited 61 people in their first batch. In all they will have total of 4 batches for interviews, each consisting of approx. same number of applicants. The annoying thing was they invited round about 35 out-state in their first batch. And i expect about the same in each batch. I feel it is really waste of time, money and effort for out-state applicants. If i had known they would invite so many out-state applicants for about 12 seats i would have never gone there. My point is they should limit the number of out-state interviewees for just 12 seats. Because out-of-state applicants have to put in so much effort to be there, especially someone coming from the west side.

Also the question regarding the part 1 boards pass percentage came up, it was admitted they don't do traditionally well on the part1 National boards.

Overall I would say if you are an out-of-state applicant like me please think twice before applying to UNC-Chapel Hill.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.