UNC Class of 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ngtah00 said:
It's going to be my precious...

I think caffeine will be my precious.. :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm also starting UNCSOM next month. I'm already in the area and loving it. My wife and I are in Carrboro and can frequently be found at Weaver Street Market sitting outside and sipping beer/wine.
I can't believe orientation start THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
TarHokie_08 said:
I'm also starting UNCSOM next month. I'm already in the area and loving it. My wife and I are in Carrboro and can frequently be found at Weaver Street Market sitting outside and sipping beer/wine.
I can't believe orientation start THREE WEEKS FROM TODAY!!!
Sipping beer/wine - like all day? Nice... you have three weeks to kick that habit! ;)

I wish I could be there all day. Still working crappy job. I'm done on July 30. Then, i'll sip on beer/wine all day up until the 10th. Everyone is welcome to join us!!!

I am counting the minutes until August 1st when I am back at the Hill! I graduated in May and cannot wait to get back to Franklin Street - I plan to be hitting the bars every night straight through orientation :D For those of you just starting at UNC...UNC is the best place ever! I had no idea that being away for just 3 months would be so hard! I just love it there!

Sidenote - I have also managed to be the first person in our class to forget their ONYEN password so I will be at ATN on August 2nd to have it reset because you can only do it in person. 4 years and now it stops working!

Anyone want to meet up the week prior to orientation? I'm thinking something late night, like maybe karaoke at Bub's Thursday night?

Sidenote: amfrank, I think we might have sat at the same table on April 17th...

Last day of work tomorrow, then the countdown begins...

I hope all of you relax these last couple of weeks (what a joke, how can you relax when you're about to start med school).

Look forward to meeting all of you!

Paul

Did anyone else see Good Morning America this morning about the missing pregnate wife of one of our fellow future classmates. How horrible is that! The guy's father was saying this morning that everything was falling into place for the couple - she found out on Thursday that she was pregnate and next week they were going to move to Chapel Hill, UNC being his first choice medical school! I think we should all pray that they find her alive and well.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/West/07/20/missing.jogger.ap/index.html

Oh wow... My thoughts and prayers for the family... :(

This does hit pretty close to home.
I can't imagine something worse happening to a family...

It was reported on WRAL news today that this guy has NOT been accepted to UNC. In fact, WRAL said UNC confirmed that he did not even apply. They also checked with Duke and he will not be a med student there, either.

Members don't see this ad :)
amfrank said:
Sidenote - I have also managed to be the first person in our class to forget their ONYEN password so I will be at ATN on August 2nd to have it reset because you can only do it in person. 4 years and now it stops working!

I wonder what happens to the people studying abroad who forget their password.. That could be an expensive mistake :)

Wanted to bump the unc thread by saying...

TWO WEEKS 'TIL ORIENTATION.

20 days until class starts (unless you're like me and have the Friday section of ICM and have your first class on the Friday of orientation)!!

The countdown is on!

TarHokie_08 said:
Wanted to bump the unc thread by saying...

TWO WEEKS 'TIL ORIENTATION.

20 days until class starts (unless you're like me and have the Friday section of ICM and have your first class on the Friday of orientation)!!

The countdown is on!
Hey, me too! :thumbup:

As do I! I wonder how many sections of the class there are...

I think there is a different ICM section for each lab, iirc.

There are three ICM sections per lab - I think they all meet on the same day, at least in the beginning.

Coalboy, MS3

Don't forget to buy your computer 1.5 weeks from now if possible and save on sales tax (esp after paying for disability ins and microscope loan fees).

Below is the info concerning the Sales Tax Holiday:

The North Carolina Sales Tax Holiday is Friday, August 6 through Sunday, August 8, 2004. During the Sales Tax Holiday period, computers and preloaded software are exempt from sales tax if their sales price does not exceed $3,500.

To take advantage of Sales Tax Holiday, customers of UNC Student Stores/RAM Shop should come to the store in-person to purchase their computer or place their computer order via phone. The purchase should be paid-in-full during the Sales Tax Holiday. A deferred payment plan purchase during the Sales
Tax Holiday period is not eligible for the exemption.

Purchases in-person can ONLY take place during store hours. The store will be open Friday, August 6th from 7:30am until 5pm; Saturday, August 7th from 10am until 5pm; and Sunday, August 8th from 1pm until 5pm..

Purchases by phone MUST be placed during store hours. The phone number to place an order is 919-962-8534. The customer must have access to a fax machine in order to complete the transaction. The transaction must be completed during the Sales Tax Holiday period.

If you have any questions about this, please contact John Gorsuch, Ram Shop Director.

hope this helps

How do we find out what ICM class we have?

amfrank said:
How do we find out what ICM class we have?
As far as I can tell, only one group received an email about ICM - the group that actually has class on Friday during orientation. They wanted to let us know in advance so we wouldn't make any plans for that first Friday afternoon. From the sounds of it, we were the only group to have a required "class" during orientation week.

Oh good! I didn't want class on Friday afternoon :)

hello~ just saying hi! is everyone excited? i finally am (long story!). anyhow, just wanted to see how many '08-ers we have on here.

i finished my job last week and now these two weeks i am just teaching MCAT classes and relaxing!

speaking of orientation requirements, i went to get a PPD yesterday. . .it's still red! is that bad news?? :(

anyhow~ take care and see you all in less than 2 weeks :)

care bear said:
hello~ just saying hi! is everyone excited? i finally am (long story!). anyhow, just wanted to see how many '08-ers we have on here.

i finished my job last week and now these two weeks i am just teaching MCAT classes and relaxing!

speaking of orientation requirements, i went to get a PPD yesterday. . .it's still red! is that bad news?? :(

anyhow~ take care and see you all in less than 2 weeks :)

An '08er here. I am excited!!
I finish working tomorrow and am taking all next week off to play xbox and sleep. :thumbup: :thumbup:

PPD test. Red is ok. a bump, depending on how wide it is, may not be a good sign. i'm having my second one read tomorrow. It's still red, but there is no induration.

Good luck and see you soon!!

Has anyone tried to buy cheap versions of the listed books off the web? Or are you waiting til orientation week to find out from 2nd years which books are worthy of buying?

Don't forget to get a home internet connection also, broadband via TimeWarner's # is 919 595 4892 @ $45/month.

Question for any former students, what's the SRC/Fetzer gym like these days? Is it super crowded? Does it still stay open til 10 during the week? I want to join a local gym but probably won't if I can still get enough out of the SRC.

I am just waiting to buy books (if I buy any at all) until later. From what I have heard, it is best to buy review books and not the actual textbooks that they say are "required"

The SRC is open until 10 atleast during the week I think. I don't think it is too crowded - I have never had a problem not getting into the class that I want. If you want to use a treadmill etc. you have to sign up in the morning usually for later in the afternoon. I know lots of people who joined a gym in the area but I like the SRC - plus it is free!!!

i thought the src was open til midnight when i was in undergrad, but i could be wrong about that. however, i wasn't a fan of the src in undergrad. i didn't have any problems getting classes or reserving courts for raquetball or walleyball, but if you don't sign up for an elliptical or treadmill in the morning then chances are you're not going to get a machine.

however, it is free, and free is good. and the indoor pool is usually nice, if a bit warm.

Woollen Gym/Fetzer Gym:
M-Th 6am-10pm
F 6am-9pm
Sat 10am-5pm
Sun 1-8pm

SRC:
M-Th 6am-12am
F 6am-9pm
Sat 10am-8pm
Sun 1-10pm

The only book I've bought is Lippincott's Biochem Review. I had noble aspirations this past year of reading through it since I've only taken the bare minimum of science cources but that definitely did not happen.

I'm going to wait and see if there are some more "real world" recs on which books to buy. (Plus, I need to wait for financial aid to come through before I start purchasing $50 books)

well i am breaking down and resubmitting amcas today.....
wish me luck as i continue the WL trail.

does anybody know if spouses can use the src?

scrent said:
does anybody know if spouses can use the src?

I'm interested in this too. I checked on it and I believe you can sign your spouse up for a fee of $120 for August 1 - July 31

here's the link:
http://www.src.unc.edu/src/src_files/src_faqs.htm#ELIGIBILITY

This is a blurb from the document on the website that says that our spouses are eligible if we pay a fee.

? Full-time UNC-CH Students who are currently registered, paying student fees, and have a valid UNC One Card may use the facilities free of charge. UNC-CH students must have a valid UNC One Card and paid-in-full student account to purchase the privilege for their spouse or dependent children age 18 and under (must be residing in home).

Congrats to 2008 UNC MS1's

For those of you wondering about books I wouldn't buy anything until the year starts. If you are itching to buy something the only book I would invest in now is a Netter (anatomy) it is really the only essential book for first year. You will be supplied with syllabi for every course, and in most of your classes that is the bible. If it is in there you need to know it, a few classes have terrible syllabi in which case you will need a decent book. It changes a little every year but historically terrible classes are histology, micro, and intro path.

But it is way to early to start worring about books now, enjoy your free time, you will miss these days once anatomy starts, that course will consume your first semester at UNC.

Good luck!

I second that about Netter - but you might be able to get it free. During my orientation (2 yrs ago), they had a deal where if you signed up for a MBNA AMSA (american med student assoc) credit card, you got a free Netter. Good way to save $60 or so. I don't know if they still do that or not.

Like steeltoheel said, it really depends on the class. Sometimes the syllabus is great and all you need, and sometimes not. They should go over things like that with you during orientation.

I have heard that First Aid for the USMLE Step I is a good book to have from day 1. You can follow the study book and add your own notes. For the diligent type.

I was just going through the books I saved from undergrad and if anyone took the UNC undergraduate cadaver lab - you already have a Netters! Woohoo one less book to buy!

Thanks for all your answers everyone. I really have nothing important to add...

EXCEPT I'M VERY EXCITED ABOUT UNC!!!

have a great weekend everyone--

Anybody get their FinAide refund direct deposit yet? Just wonderin if some lucky bastard out there is scratching his head wondering why he's 10k richer, while my account is sitting empty.

Chemguync said:
Anybody get their FinAide refund direct deposit yet? Just wonderin if some lucky bastard out there is scratching his head wondering why he's 10k richer, while my account is sitting empty.

No large deposits had shown up in my account as of this afternoon.

yeah, i wonder when it will come through. . .probably the actual week of orientation, don't you think?

care bear said:
yeah, i wonder when it will come through. . .probably the actual week of orientation, don't you think?

I have no idea... :confused:

Speaking of orientation, does anyone know if we need to bring our checkbooks?? :laugh:

tar hokie, concerning your checkbook question. . .i just looked through my orientation materials about 5 times and i couldn't find that bit of information anywhere. you'd think they would have been more clear about something like that! :mad: :mad:

oh well, i guess i'll never know. :( :( :(

edit: this was an attempt at sarcasm. . . i think they say to bring your checkbook about 10,000 times in the orientation materials :p

care bear said:
tar hokie, concerning your checkbook question. . .i just looked through my orientation materials about 5 times and i couldn't find that bit of information anywhere. you'd think they would have been more clear about something like that! :mad: :mad:

oh well, i guess i'll never know. :( :( :(

Speaking of unclear. Does anyone plan on riding the bus??
I plan on riding the bus, if I can't ride my bike. The bus route that comes nearest to my house doesn't go by the med school/hospital. So, I'm trying to figure out the best combo of bus routes to get there. Does anyone know the best bus route to get on from Franklin street and Columbia street (Carolina Coffee Shop side) to get to the med school? Thx.

TarHokie_08 said:
Does anyone know the best bus route to get on from Franklin street and Columbia street (Carolina Coffee Shop side) to get to the med school? Thx.

I would walk over to the stop on Franklin across from Caribou/Kinko's and take the J bus to the stop in front of the State Employee's Credit Union (SECU), which is the next stop, I think (less than a mile) Then you cut between the School of Social Work and the School of Public Health, cross S. Columbia, and you're there.

TarHokie_08 said:
I have no idea... :confused:

Speaking of orientation, does anyone know if we need to bring our checkbooks?? :laugh:

Yes, bring your checkbooks. I'm almost positive that I read that on the orientation website somewhere.

I'll add my questions to the pell mell...

Where is the store that we need to go to purchase our laptops? I take its not on the medical part of the campus? Which could be bad...I can barely make it around the medical section (the other day I couldn't find the right exit out from MacNider <shakes head>).

When they say comfortable clothes for orientation do you think that means jeans and a tshirt comfortable or khakis and a nicer type shirt comfortable?

Less than a week till we actually meet one another :eek: :D

Chemguync said:

It hasn't gone through to my bank account yet, but I was able to see that the money has gone through my account at UNC. It looks like they will refund the extra, but don't know when.

twinklz said:
I'll add my questions to the pell mell...

Where is the store that we need to go to purchase our laptops?

Sorry for the long quote, but this is directly off the UNC website regarding the laptop purchase during the tax holiday. Looks like you can order the laptop over the phone, if you can't find the bookstore...

"To take advantage of Sales Tax Holiday, customers of UNC Student Stores/RAM Shop should come to the store in-person to purchase their computer or place their computer order via phone. The purchase should be paid-in-full during the Sales Tax Holiday. A deferred payment plan purchase during the Sales
Tax Holiday period is not eligible for the exemption.

Purchases in-person can ONLY take place during store hours. The store will be open Friday, August 6th from 7:30am until 5pm; Saturday, August 7th from 10am until 5pm; and Sunday, August 8th from 1pm until 5pm..

Purchases by phone MUST be placed during store hours. The phone number to place an order is 919-962-8534. The customer must have access to a fax machine in order to complete the transaction. The transaction must be completed during the Sales Tax Holiday period."

Yeah, I read that. I was just hoping to be able to do it in person. But you're right, if I can't find it, I can always call in the order.

Apparently the Ram shop is "located on the second floor of the Daniels Building across The Pit from Lenoir Dining Hall."

:confused: