UNC Class of 2008!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
TarHokie_08 said:
Speaking of unclear. Does anyone plan on riding the bus??
I plan on riding the bus, if I can't ride my bike. The bus route that comes nearest to my house doesn't go by the med school/hospital. So, I'm trying to figure out the best combo of bus routes to get there. Does anyone know the best bus route to get on from Franklin street and Columbia street (Carolina Coffee Shop side) to get to the med school? Thx.

The C and DL buses also will take you to the school of public health (then cut through to get to HSL and MacNider). You can catch these across the street from the Carolina Coffee Shop, I think near Miami subs.

Members don't see this ad.

Location of Ram Shop....according to the map and my memory.

If you're going down Columbia away from Franklin (south), take a left (east)onto South Road. You will go through one light (I think) and see the Bell Tower on your right. Once you pass the Bell Tower you will see the SRC/Fetzer Gymnasium on your right, directly across the street is the Daniels building (all you'll see is cement stairs to your left). Go up the stairs that you see from South Road when you're looking to the left. At the top of the stairs the Daniels building should be right there on your right. If you walk into the Davis Library you've gone too far.

If you have a map, check it out. And if you don't, make sure you pick one up at the student stores. Hope this helps...

Thanks Franklin! I'll pick up a replacement map for the one I misplaced.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have a map, check it out. And if you don't, make sure you pick one up at the student stores. Hope this helps...[/QUOTE]

Maps are also available online. http://www.unc.edu/visitors/UNCmaps.pdf

They have the final orientation schedule up. For those of you with the Friday ICM, you get to attend the team building activities that Friday from 2-6. I heard it might be a ropes course.

It's great not having to work. Gee, I should have quit earlier. :laugh:

:eek: I'm absolutely buried under boxes, it'll be a few more days before I can work myself out of here. It's amazing how much crap I've accumulated over the years. Hopefully I'll find my checkbook by next week...

twinklz, if you get lost, ask just about any student on campus where "The Pit" is. It's pretty much the center-point hotspot of campus.

I dont think we get our financial aid money until classes start. Atleast that is how it worked during undergrad - you could pick up your check or the money was put into your account the first day of classes.

You guys and gals have a good first year at the best university in the country and fantastic medical school to boot in the UNC School of Medicine. You all deserve it and I hope you do well. I am probably checking out of SDN, I guess, it's been an interesting year keeping up with everyone's status. Maybe you will see me again, but unless some miracle happens and they call me by next week, I am obviously done for this year. I will meet you at all at some point down the road in life. Good luck and Godspeed. You are going to be a doctor.

-J

eminemunc said:
You guys and gals have a good first year at the best university in the country and fantastic medical school to boot in the UNC School of Medicine. You all deserve it and I hope you do well. I am probably checking out of SDN, I guess, it's been an interesting year keeping up with everyone's status. Maybe you will see me again, but unless some miracle happens and they call me by next week, I am obviously done for this year. I will meet you at all at some point down the road in life. Good luck and Godspeed. You are going to be a doctor.

-J

Don't lose hope yet. UNC gave me a flat rejection last year, so I called Dr. Hoole and had him tell me why they hated me. I fixed what was wrong and got in w/in 2 weeks of my interview this year. I know it sucks to have to reapply, having done it myself, but it seems to be a lot more common than I first thought.

anyone buying books this weekend for tax free holiday? If so, which ones?

I'm not buying anything till I speak w/ some 2nd years about what's needed. Although I might look into picking up a Netters. I'll be cool with a Netters.

I am not going to buy any books this weekend either. I just went to the bookstore today to order my computer. No tax was a big help on my credit card! I was looking at our schedule of classes today and at the bottom it says total credit hours this term - 30! There were whole years in undergrad when I did not take 30 credit hours! Let the fun begin. See everyone on Tuesday.

amfrank said:
I am not going to buy any books this weekend either. I just went to the bookstore today to order my computer. No tax was a big help on my credit card! I was looking at our schedule of classes today and at the bottom it says total credit hours this term - 30! There were whole years in undergrad when I did not take 30 credit hours! Let the fun begin. See everyone on Tuesday.

The 30 credit hours is wrong. If you look closely, ICM is listed in our schedule as MWF 1-5:50. We only have one of the sessions, not all three, so that class can't be 8 credit hours. I guess we won't get our schedule until orientation?

ngtah00 said:
If you are using loans or waiting for money to come into your account, you just defer the bill. I think you sign the back and send it back to them, that's all you have to do.

Not sure about the laptop, I think by the time you get it, maybe your financial aid will come through? I am planning on taking advantage of the tax free weekend and prepaying for the computer then. I think it saves about 150 dollars in taxes. That's what a credit card is for, pay it off the following month!

I am working until August. But I don't have that much to do because everyone knows I am leaving. Have fun in CH for me.
Don't buy the computer. It's overpriced as hell, and there's absolutely nothing proprietary or special about it. You'd do much better at BestBuy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chemguync said:
I think it's so they can be sure they can support it when we break it. Like if you fry your keyboard, they can issue you a replacement loaner then and there while they fix yours. One student said they'd been using their loaner for like a year.. heh.

I think I might try to tweak mine a bit.. see how badly I can screw it up so the tech people will get to know me by name :)
Yeah, good luck with that. I've turned my computer in three times and NEVER been given a loaner. The reply is always the same... "all of our loaners are out right now, sorry." Save yourself a ton of money and get a better machine. Buy a Dell or Gateway and get a top of the line support pack. You'll still come in under the mark. The only software that you need for the year is a browser and a PowerPoint type program. If you're really cheap, don't even buy Office. Download OpenOffice at OpenOffice.Org for FREE. You can make and view PowerPoint compatible presentations. If they're telling you that you need a Palm, I'd be highly suspicious as well.

You have to buy the computer - its not like it's an option.

amfrank said:
You have to buy the computer - its not like it's an option.
That's what they tell you, but I don't think it's quite true. I've heard that folks have refused the computer in the past. The "buy our computer" program is one of the worst things about UNC.

BlueFalcon said:
That's what they tell you, but I don't think it's quite true. I've heard that folks have refused the computer in the past. The "buy our computer" program is one of the worst things about UNC.

Are you a current UNC Med school student?

Just a note guys, I'm a second year at UNC and buying the computer is absolutely required. A guy in my lab last year had a really nice new computer and they made him trade it in to them and pay a little more on a worse computer. Save yourself the money and give in to the powers that be... Can't wait to see you all at orientation!

It should be some consolation to the incoming MS1's that their computer is a lot better than the one they required last year.

It's always a price/performance-reliability tradeoff. My class had to buy a pretty decent computer, but we paid out the whazoo for it ($3200 or so). Last year, they went for the low price option (around $2000), but paid for it in terms of performance and reliability. This year, you get a really good computer for $2,700 ($2,550 if you bought it tax-free this weekend). Not what I would call cheap, but given the software and insurance, not a bad deal.

am33877 said:
Just a note guys, I'm a second year at UNC and buying the computer is absolutely required. A guy in my lab last year had a really nice new computer and they made him trade it in to them and pay a little more on a worse computer. Save yourself the money and give in to the powers that be... Can't wait to see you all at orientation!
From the Laptop FAQ page:

10. What happens if I don t buy the required laptop and I am unable to get to an application I need for a course?

You will need to contact the Office of Medical Education for further information.

BlueFalcon said:

10. What happens if I don t buy the required laptop and I am unable to get to an application I need for a course?

You will need to contact the Office of Medical Education for further information.

Thanks, BlueFalcon.
Your advice is duly noted.

BlueFalcon said:

In which case they'll tell you you need to learn to obey the rules, and issue you your termination papers. :)

Woohoo! Direct Deposit landed today :) I'm goin to Vegas, First Class! Hooooray freeeeeee money!

Chemguync said:
Woohoo! Direct Deposit landed today :) I'm goin to Vegas, First Class! Hooooray freeeeeee money!
Haha... free money...

:scared:

see you all tomorrow