*UNC Dental Applying 2011*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmt1984

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I wanted to start a thread for those of us that are planning on/definitely applying to UNC this fall. I wanted to have a place to discuss how many of us are re-applicants, first timers and other things. Last year's thread on this topic was a good place for news and updates.

Who all will be re-applicants? What have you done since the last cycle you applied?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a 1st time applicant hoping to apply to UNC, but I'm out-of-state so it's one of my "long-shots"

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in NC and will be applying as a 1st time applicant this year. I'm going to submit my application in early June but I am not taking the DAT till mid-July. How bad do you think that will hurt my chances?

I'll join in too. 1st time applicant from NC. Submitting early, and taking the DAT late July.

I'm an in-state re-applicant as well. I applied late (September) last cycle and didn't have any luck, so I'm shooting to have everything in by the end of June this time around.

rpatel8- I don't think this will hurt your chances, however keep in mind that it takes a few weeks for your scores to be verified. From the past threads on this topic, it seems that UNC invites people to interviews about three weeks before the interview weekend, and assuming it takes them a few weeks to review applications, having everything complete at UNC by mid August I think would be a good plan (Just my opinion, any other thoughts re-applicants?)

does anybody know if unc will be increasing the number of enrollment for this cycle?

First time applicant, in-state here! Pretty pumped that with ECU's opening, in-staters are now competing for ~120 spots rather than just ~70 at UNC.

First time applicant, in-state here! Pretty pumped that with ECU's opening, in-staters are now competing for ~120 spots rather than just ~70 at UNC.

What part of NC are you from? Are you originally from NC or go to college here?

What part of NC are you from? Are you originally from NC or go to college here?

I've lived in NC most of my life. I attended high school near Hickory NC, and I am currently an undergrad at UNC.

Cool, You'll have to keep us posted on the progress on the new dental building.

I work for the enemy (Duke...lol)

first time applicant here and taking the DAT may 26th in-state resident as well. As for the Dental building at ECU no progress yet when I checked a few weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
first time applicant here and taking the DAT may 26th in-state resident as well. As for the Dental building at ECU no progress yet when I checked a few weeks ago.

I'm assuming you attend ECU; have you met with any of the administration for the dental school? What is Greenville like?

First-time, out of state applicant (GA) here as well. Taking the DAT on June 3rd and submitting application same day. Hopefully I'll get in!!!

First-time, out of state applicant (GA) here as well. Taking the DAT on June 3rd and submitting application same day. Hopefully I'll get in!!!

Are you a traditional applicant? I know that UNC is tough for out of state ppl, how are your stats (if you don't mind)....June 3rd is going to be one busy day for you!

Good luck!

Are you a traditional applicant? I know that UNC is tough for out of state ppl, how are your stats (if you don't mind)....June 3rd is going to be one busy day for you!

Good luck!

I'm a non-traditional...I was in seminary and then decided to go into dentistry. I'll end up having two bachelor's degrees (religion and biology) by spring of 2011. I've got a lot of volunteer work as i was a pastoral intern/youth director. My stats are: overall gpa: 3.43, bcp gpa: 3.63 (if I get all A's the next 3 semesters I can pull the overall to 3.53 and bcp to around 3.75). I'm shooting for over a 20 on the DAT...

I'm a non-traditional...I was in seminary and then decided to go into dentistry. I'll end up having two bachelor's degrees (religion and biology) by spring of 2011. I've got a lot of volunteer work as i was a pastoral intern/youth director. My stats are: overall gpa: 3.43, bcp gpa: 3.63 (if I get all A's the next 3 semesters I can pull the overall to 3.53 and bcp to around 3.75). I'm shooting for over a 20 on the DAT...

I'm a non-trad guy myself. If you don't mind me asking, what made you rethink your future?

You have solid stats, good luck with the DAT:thumbup:

Just saw that UNC's secondary application will be available online June 8th

I'm probably applying as well; first-time applicant. I don't exactly know how hard it is for out of state people, but I might as well give it a shot.

I'm probably applying as well; first-time applicant. I don't exactly know how hard it is for out of state people, but I might as well give it a shot.

I think that it is challenging for out of state folks, I think out of the 80 or so spots, all but 5 or 6 are for in state people. If you check last years thread on this topic, you'll see some stats for the ppl that got accepted. Check www.predents.com also to see where you stack up. Good luck!

Hello to everybody,

I am re-applicant, will be applying to UNC for the second time this summer.
I am non-traditional as well. Did not do very well on my DAT so will be retaking it in mid July. somebody asked about what improvements they made since last cycle. I am a little bit nervous about this part, as I have only been keeping up my volunteer jobs at NC MOM clinics and some shadowing at GD practice. I am planning to find more shadowing experience in near future as well. do not know if that would be enough though. I have already about ~150h of shadowing/internship from last year.
I would really appreciate, if you could share your thought on how you are managing your improvements.

Maggie wilson of admissions came to talk to our predental club. It seems like they are looking to have at least a 19 on your DAT strong EC's and GPA. The school is going to be mac based. They also should have their initial accreditation in like January she said. Greenville is a pretty nice town it has good and bad parts, but downtown is fun on weekends and the restaurants are all pretty good. the town isn't as close together as chapel hill is in my opinion though.

Maggie wilson of admissions came to talk to our predental club. It seems like they are looking to have at least a 19 on your DAT strong EC's and GPA. The school is going to be mac based. They also should have their initial accreditation in like January she said. Greenville is a pretty nice town it has good and bad parts, but downtown is fun on weekends and the restaurants are all pretty good. the town isn't as close together as chapel hill is in my opinion though.

Greeneville? As in SC? Is there a school there?

Yea, lol I probably shouldn't have posted that here...

In the state of North Carolina, there has been only 1 dental school: UNC

Since this is the first year that a second school (ECU located in Greenville, NC) is taking applications, most NC residents will be applying to that as well (applying for more spots, increased chance of getting in) so that's how the discussion came up.

Than I posted that link to the ECU Dental School website.

So basically the only reason ECU came up was because this is the first time NC residents can apply to more than once school (ECU is only taking NC residents this cycle)

Thanks for the good links crew9

ECUpirate19: sounds like a cool town, I'd like to get out there to check it out.

foxi02: I had a poor undergrad GPA, so I completed a Master's program and have some research experience relevant to the dental field. I retook the DAT last summer.
Sounds like you are doing all the right things...good luck!

Hello All,

I was notified that my UNC application was finally complete on 9/24 and have not heard back from the school about whether I'll be offered an interview for 11/12.

Did I apply too late? If I don't hear from them should I assume that I'm not being offered an interview?

Thanks for the help!

its not over yet. they still have a Jan interview as well.

this week should be the week in which they email about the Nov. spot. or maybe next week. not 100% sure.

Hello All,

I was notified that my UNC application was finally complete on 9/24 and have not heard back from the school about whether I'll be offered an interview for 11/12.

Did I apply too late? If I don't hear from them should I assume that I'm not being offered an interview?

Thanks for the help!

My file was complete on 9/6.
Interview invite sent on 9/22.

invite for nov. 12th interview this morning. ~10:45 or so

:thumbup:

invite for nov. 12th interview this morning. ~10:45 or so

:thumbup:

I got an invite this morning too for nov 12. I am so excited & feel so blessed.... Please share any advice/suggestions with me..

same. have not heard anything yet.

They went over stats for OOS students..

I think, if I remember right, it was 1 in 55 OOS that would get an interview.

Its tough..

Received the interview invite this morning too. I'm a re-applicant, so I feel EXTREMELY lucky/blessed to have interviews at both of the nc schools this year. I guess we'll see how all this craziness plays out in the coming weeks and months...

Good luck to all of you!:xf:

reapplicant as well. was very happy when i saw the subject. i applied 2 months earlier than last year and it paid off to get a pre dec. interview.

its a very good interview experience. as far as advice, look over the SDN interview feedback, go back over your application and look back over UNCs website and mission statement/goals.

be prepared for "tell me about yourself".

congrats on the invites for all those who received one hopefully Ill get a January interview since november interviews are out.

tomorrow is the big day. good luck to everyone

Good luck to everyone! I think the admission committee is meeting today. It's been a long two and a half months since the interviews back in September. Finally 12/1 is just hours away!

Good luck to everyone! I think the admission committee is meeting today. It's been a long two and a half months since the interviews back in September. Finally 12/1 is just hours away!

do they meet today or tomorrow? the past threads show dec. 1st meeting and they usually call between 2-5pm on 1st.. then make some phone calls ont he 2nd.

:eek:

Is anyone else freaking out? So anxious to finally just KNOW!