GatorTeef

Do Work.
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Gainesville
Status
Dental Student
I'm interested in doing an externship at UNC over the summer for OMFS, and was wondering if any past externs can shed some light on living arrangements. On the UNC website, it says that the externs have to set up their own room and board, so I take it the call room is definitely out? Any cheap options from past externs or residents out there?

servitup

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There is no call room b/c they take at-home call. Most externs either book a hotel, sublet from a dental student, or rent a room at granville towers which is a private dorm near campus.

jmjfb23

!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 4, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Granville towers were about $40 a night w/ a shared bathroom. The rooms were kinda ****ty there, but good enough for me (also no TV, no internet). Its about a 10-15 minute walk to the hospital and the cheapest thing I could find. They gave me some free meals at the dorms, but I never made it home early enough to eat except for once.

About the Ads
OP
GatorTeef

GatorTeef

Do Work.
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Gainesville
Status
Dental Student
Wow, so on top of the $400 plane ticket and cost of food, I'm going to have to pay $400+ for a room for two weeks? Do you think the residents would be okay with me sleeping at the bus station?

There goes the savings I put away for my net gun.

Dukie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wow, so on top of the $400 plane ticket and cost of food, I'm going to have to pay $400+ for a room for two weeks? Do you think the residents would be okay with me sleeping at the bus station?

There goes the savings I put away for my net gun.
Basically, that is correct. Honestly, that is a pretty reasonable cost for two weeks of housing. Wouldn't you expect this in any externship?

OP
GatorTeef

GatorTeef

Do Work.
10+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2006
Gainesville
Status
Dental Student
The two places that I went to that were extended stay (2-4 weeks) had dorms available for no extra charge. I guess it depends on where you go. I heard UNC definitely was worth it, and I still plan on going, but I was kind of hoping for some cheaper options that some past externs may have found. The one externship that I went to that made me pay for my own housing provided me with names and numbers of Med Students and such that let me stay with them for a pretty good price, much less than $40 a night. I'm just looking for a place to crash, any one know of any other options out there?

About the Ads