UNC MED Program Summer 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got in!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! Congratulations to you too! Let's kill this!

We will!!! I'm sure it's going to be super hard but also super awesome. Is this program prestigious compared to others in the country?

Reactions: 1 user
We will!!! I'm sure it's going to be super hard but also super awesome. Is this program prestigious compared to others in the country?

When I went for the interview last year, I asked that question and Mr. Polk said that it is highly respected and ranked amongst the best amongst other programs. He explained that it is highly respected by medical admissions committees across the country.

When I went for the interview last year, I asked that question and Mr. Polk said that it is highly respected and ranked amongst the best amongst other programs. He explained that it is highly respected by medical admissions committees across the country.
That is so good to hear!

Members don't see this ad :)
So, what's next??

Yeah haha I just did it a few minutes ago. It was made accessible as a survey. I was wondering if we're going to get something in the mail?

Congrats. Now I'm hoping to get off the waitlist.

"Success doesn't come without struggle"
I
I applied for medical! I was waitlisted last Summer so I hope that I am successful this cycle. Best of luck and please keep us posted on any new info that you may receive and I will do the same!
Question. When you were waitlisted last year did you speak to them about your application? Like what would make you a better candidate? Did you do anything Different this time around?

I

Question. When you were waitlisted last year did you speak to them about your application? Like what would make you a better candidate? Did you do anything Different this time around?

Yes! I flew up and had a face to face with them and asked them those exact questions. I spoke with both Ms. Lisa Long, Mr. Claudius Polk, and briefly met Dr. Bright. The feed back they gave me about my application was simply that the out of state spots were limited and that I had a very strong application and I should reapply the following year.

If you were waitlisted, I would def. reapply! From my understanding, a great number of each class are reapplicants, i.e ME!

As far as my application is concerned, I did revise my essay to include some of the new community, health, and educational things that I had been apart of since my last application.

Stay encouraged and DON'T STOP MOVING! If this program is your goal, keep your mind focused on continuing to polish YOU in regards to the type of Dentist that you want to become. Stay involved in the community because that is a big part of this program outside of the classroom, from what I gathered from my interview. It is not a matter of IF you will get into MED, but it's a matter of WHEN you will get in. REAPPLY, trust me!

Yes! I flew up and had a face to face with them and asked them those exact questions. I spoke with both Ms. Lisa Long, Mr. Claudius Polk, and briefly met Dr. Bright. The feed back they gave me about my application was simply that the out of state spots were limited and that I had a very strong application and I should reapply the following year.

If you were waitlisted, I would def. reapply! From my understanding, a great number of each class are reapplicants, i.e ME!

As far as my application is concerned, I did revise my essay to include some of the new community, health, and educational things that I had been apart of since my last application.

Stay encouraged and DON'T STOP MOVING! If this program is your goal, keep your mind focused on continuing to polish YOU in regards to the type of Dentist that you want to become. Stay involved in the community because that is a big part of this program outside of the classroom, from what I gathered from my interview. It is not a matter of IF you will get into MED, but it's a matter of WHEN you will get in. REAPPLY, trust me!

Thank you for your words of encouragement! I really appreciate it. I wasn't waitlisted, I didn't get in :-( I know there is very limited spots for dental, but it's really bothering me because I thought I was a pretty good candidate. At the end of the decision letter it asked if I wanted feedback regarding my application. I clicked yes and left my info, should I wait for them to reach out to me or should I follow up with them first?

Thank you for your words of encouragement! I really appreciate it. I wasn't waitlisted, I didn't get in :-( I know there is very limited spots for dental, but it's really bothering me because I thought I was a pretty good candidate. At the end of the decision letter it asked if I wanted feedback regarding my application. I clicked yes and left my info, should I wait for them to reach out to me or should I follow up with them first?

I would def follow up with them. Call them and speak with them, they are really nice people! If you can make it up there to do a face to face, do that! It goes a long way with them. Please stay encouraged and apply again

Does anyone know how many people applied this year?

I would def follow up with them. Call them and speak with them, they are really nice people! If you can make it up there to do a face to face, do that! It goes a long way with them. Please stay encouraged and apply again

Great, I will def call them! When do you plan on applying to MED school?

Stay motivated everyone

Anyone know if there is ever actually any movement on the waitlist? if so when does it start

Anyone know if there is ever actually any movement on the waitlist? if so when does it start

Only if someone can't attend. They do not rank the list from my understanding

This cycle
That's great!! Good luck with everything! and again thank you so much for the advice and encouragement, truly appreciative! I hope you ROCK that program!! When it's all done please come back and share your experience!!

Reactions: 1 users
That's great!! Good luck with everything! and again thank you so much for the advice and encouragement, truly appreciative! I hope you ROCK that program!! When it's all done please come back and share your experience!!

Thank you! I def will share my experience!

do you know if it is usually likely someone declines their acceptance?

From past forums, there have been students accepted in mid-late April and early May. So yes, possible but unlikely several will decline. Maybe like 2. I'm hopeful.

Does anyone know if someone was able to get off the waitlist? I'm still hoping for that email! I feel no one wants to drop. :/

Does anyone know if we get a committee letter from MED?

Yes we do
Awesome! Do you know if it is equivalent to a committee letter from your undergraduate institution? I'm just trying to sort out my letters for the upcoming cycle and don't want to bother people unless I have to

Awesome! Do you know if it is equivalent to a committee letter from your undergraduate institution? I'm just trying to sort out my letters for the upcoming cycle and don't want to bother people unless I have to
Yea I believe so but I would probably only use for UNC Chapel hill. That's definitely a question I will ask once I get there. I have a graduate committee letter but I'm curious to how they would add it after my amcas is submitted???

Yea I believe so but I would probably only use for UNC Chapel hill. That's definitely a question I will ask once I get there. I have a graduate committee letter but I'm curious to how they would add it after my amcas is submitted???

Yeah I was wondering about the same thing! Have you received your package yet?

Check emails everyone. Supplemental materials were emailed

Reactions: 1 users
anyone hear anything that has been waitlisted?

No I haven't. I received an email from Dr Bright saying they'll start making appointments for those who wanted to receive feedback on their applications.

No I haven't. I received an email from Dr Bright saying they'll start making appointments for those who wanted to receive feedback on their applications.

oh really? did you get in this cycle? I did not get that email

I got in as well !
I look forward to meeting everyone on May 29, 2017