UNC (OOS) vs. UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miamiheatwad

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me decide which school because im having a difficult time! I am from Virginia and I want to specialize

UPenn
Pros
-I have wanted to go here since my freshmen year of college (it is my dream school)
-new facilities
-many friends in the area
-love Philly
-curriculum prepares students well for boards
-easy to find patients
Cons
-expensive and upset that I didn't receive a scholarship

UNC
Pros
-amazing facilities (better than Penn in my opinion)
-cheaper
-loved what I saw from interview day (the students and professors really wanted to get to know me and I could tell that it was a tight knight community)
-less competitive in my opinion
Cons
-I prefer living in a more urban area
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’d go to Penn. I talked with an OMFS the other day who went to Columbia and he recommended going to an Ivy over my state school because he thinks they help get your stuff in line for specializing better. Granted, it’s only one guy’s opinion, but he took the ivy route and has no regrets.

Plus, it seems like you like Penn better. Maybe we’ll be classmates lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’d go to Penn. I talked with an OMFS the other day who went to Columbia and he recommended going to an Ivy over my state school because he thinks they help get your stuff in line for specializing better. Granted, it’s only one guy’s opinion, but he took the ivy route and has no regrets.

Plus, it seems like you like Penn better. Maybe we’ll be classmates lol.
Except many residencies cost additional money. Penn at sticker price plus another 200k for a specialty like ortho will leave someone financially decimated.

Reactions: 1 users
Except many residencies cost additional money. Penn at sticker price plus another 200k for a specialty like ortho will leave someone financially decimated.
Good point- I guess the anecdote only makes sense for OMFS and other paid programs

Agree that Ivys may confer some advantage with OMFS (largely due to time available for CBSE study, push to specialize, etc). However, there are a number of state schools that perform equally well and offer the same resources... Personally wouldn't let that be a determining factor with that much money in question.