UNC or Colorado?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

twintiger32

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find myself having to make a choice on attending one of these interviews...

UNC is on a Saturday, and Colorado is the next day, Sunday. I can't find any flights out from north carolina after the interview, to Denver!

Any thoughts? I will try to switch one of the interview dates, but I doubt it will happen.

4 interviews in 5 days...is it possible??? Which interview do I go on?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd go with UNC, but that's just me.

I find myself having to make a choice on attending one of these interviews...

UNC is on a Saturday, and Colorado is the next day, Sunday. I can't find any flights out from north carolina after the interview, to Denver!

Any thoughts? I will try to switch one of the interview dates, but I doubt it will happen.

4 interviews in 5 days...is it possible??? Which interview do I go on?

Since they are in two VERY different locations, maybe you can use a geographic preference to help you decide which interview to go on....but I have heard good things about both programs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel for you. I have the same sitation during that week in december...5 interviews in 7 days.
I do not understand why they are making it so hard on us. In addition when you get your tickets and something else pops out..then what? I guess we have to make some sacrifices during this process...Positive thing it is just 2 months left. :oops: Hang in there guys.
By the way I am choosing Colorado :)
Maybe I will see you there.
Good Luck

Colorado--the negative rumors I've heard simply aren't true. They have a stable chair and the program is anything but malignant. Plus you get excellent training with a VA, county, university, childrens and brand-new eye institute (not to mention Vail, breck, steamboat, aspen, keystone, jane, etc.).

Maybe if you have the AM session at CU you could switch to the PM session and fly in that morning and go straight from the airport to the interview?

figured it all out, and will be attending both interviews.

look forward to meeting you all on the interview trail!

figured it all out, and will be attending both interviews.

look forward to meeting you all on the interview trail!

Retina-wise, UNC is the stronger program with Travis Meredith, Reese Landers, and Elizabeth Hartnett as well as a new retina attending from Detroit I believe.

Colorado has two retina guys who are both disciples of Stanley Chang and the other guy is inbred.

Denver is a nice area with lots to do, but the eye clinic/ophthalmology department was moved off campus miles away from the University...granted, they are building a new childrens hospital there.

It is a close call in terms of residency experience...for retina fellowships, the UNC fellowship is much better.

Its an old thread but what the hell, I still read them....

As a point of clarification to PDT4CNV's post (does anyone use PDT anymore? :)), the Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Institute is on the University Hospital Campus, and is in fact, physically connected to the University of Colorado Hospital by a hallway. As you mentioned,the campus is also home to the Children's Hospital.

If you're referring to the undergraduate University, that is indeed in Boulder, not Denver, but the hospital has never been located there.