UNC or Pitt?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naphtuhli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am from Pennsylvania, and I have been accepted to the med schools at University of North Carolina and University of Pittsburgh. I cannot decide between the two schools. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I am from Pennsylvania, and I have been accepted to the med schools at University of North Carolina and University of Pittsburgh. I cannot decide between the two schools. Any thoughts?

i know both schools have awesome reputations, but chapel hill is such a fun college town!!! my sister is there for undergrad so i've visited a lot, i would kiiiilll to go to UNC. really an amazing location. can't speak for much else though. which one is cheaper?? congrats and good luck!!:)

If you're a PA resident, I think you get a small discount on tuition. Also, Pitt's a very very good school with an amazing hospital system, lots of funding, and lots of research opportunity. The city is pretty cool too, has a niche for everyone :) I think Pitt might also edge out UNC in terms of reputation among residency directors, but I could be wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
Both good schools check this out survey by students how they like the school remember Pitt is a thesis school, if that makes any diff. I would quess UNC is cheaper and better living. you can't go wrong, good luck
http://www.amsa.org/premed/medsurvey/

Oh look... another XXXXXX vs. Pitt...
Just go to Pitt... it is awesome... so I have heard...

both are great schools... i'm also from pa and back in the day, my "final 2" also included pitt. didn't apply to unc for med school but i'll be a resident there so i know a little. both pitt and unc are top-notch schools, though i think pitt has more research activity and focus (this is neutral to slightly negative for me personally). i think the biggest distinction between the two is "big city" vs. "college town." which type of person are you? (i'll be at the college town every time.)

My personal preference would be UNC Chapel Hill, but mainly because I attended there for some graduate school and lived there for years. Go with your own gut and decide which place would allow you to be the happiest and get along with the other students/faculty/facilities.