Program-Specific Info / Q's UNC OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roxy 12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear from UNC for an interview yet? Fingers crossed to hear from them, but I will be out of cell range next week and afraid if by chance they do email or call I will miss it . hopefully they give people a chance to respond a week later.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone hear from UNC for an interview yet? Fingers crossed to hear from them, but I will be out of cell range next week and afraid if by chance they do email or call I will miss it . hopefully they give people a chance to respond a week later.

I've applied but haven't heard anything. I don't think we'll hear for at least a week though...website says they review through the second week of January and we'll hear by the third week. I could be wrong (or it could be wishful thinking).

Reactions: 1 user
FYI, not that this is gospel, but the posts for last year on gradcafe came around January 21.

ETA: I guess we got our answer today: the email says by next Friday! This is going to be a long week!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
FYI, not that this is gospel, but the posts for last year on gradcafe came around January 21.

ETA: I guess we got our answer today: the email says by next Friday! This is going to be a long week!
Thanks, and agreed. LONG, long WEEK.

Just to pass the time, are there any others out there applying to UNC? It doesn't seem to be a popular school on this board, but they had over 260 apps this year, so I know some are out there.

Last edited:
I also applied and have yet to hear anything. I am currently an undergrad at UNC Chapel Hill. My GPA is above average and I have great OT observation experiences and leadership positions, but my GREs are just average...I'm not a good standardized test taker. I would be confident that I am going to get in, but 267 people applied and I know there are people just as competitive as I am. I guess we will all find out soon enough.

I also graduated from UNC, and they made it sound as though it actually helps a little (at least statistically), as opposed to other allied health departments. You sound like you have a good shot at it!

Last edited:
Supposed to hear by today, nothing yet though and it's 2:30.

Tick tock :unsure:

I got my email this morning. Not sure how they're going about it all.

Hi!
Did you just hear from them within the last hour?
I am still waiting for their email :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview too! I heard back at 6am on Friday morning. haha kind of early in the day. Good luck to anyone going for an interview.

Now begins one of the longest weeks of our lives! At least they're making a sincere effort to finish the process quickly. How does everyone feel?

stressed and in need of a drink or 5...too bad I have school work to do.

I know what you mean...I think I'll be studying all day just to keep my mind off of it! :)

I know what you mean...I think I'll be studying all day just to keep my mind off of it! :)

UNC will be closed today and possibly tomorrow. Hopefully this does not delay their decision report!
Good luck to everyone!! Oxox

If I recall correctly, the committee was supposed to meet yesterday to decide, but the Coordinator sounded skeptical that one meeting would be enough to make the decision. Has anyone heard anything?

I know someone who has already heard they are on the wait list. So decisions must have been made

Wow...strange considering that they said they wouldn't inform anyone until the 17th or at latest, the 18th. Must be an exception for some reason.

I did not get in, but I'm not upset by it. I've already gotten into a school that I would have picked over UNC (Boston University), so I'm glad someone else had the opportunity to go without having to wait on a waitlist. To all that got in, congratulations! I am a UNC undergrad and Chapel Hill is an amazing school that will help you get great opportunities in the future. :)

Reactions: 1 users
I got into UNC too, and I'm excited about the possibility of going there! Has anyone else heard from the Graduate Admissions department about receiving login information to check on financial aid, residency, etc. yet? I've been waiting (impatiently) and it's killing me!

Ha, I was thinking that exact same thing today! I haven't heard anything yet. I was excited when I saw this thread had been bumped!

Ha, I was thinking that exact same thing today! I haven't heard anything yet. I was excited when I saw this thread had been bumped!

I'm sorry to disappoint, but I guess it's a little better to know we're in the same boat! I did call the OT department today to ask about the timeline, and I was told pretty much what I expected -- that UNC's graduate department is handling a lot of applications, etc. and was working to get them all completed and information emailed out. The person I spoke to said that I should be hearing something in the next few days, and to check in with the school again if I hadn't heard anything by the end of February (i.e. the end of this week). But hopefully next time I post it'll be with some more exciting news!

Also I'm just curious, and you can totally feel free not to answer if you don't want to, but I was wondering if UNC was your top choice or if you're considering it alongside some other options? I really would love to attend, and part of the reason I'm so desperate to get an email is because I want to find out about my residency status and the subsequent financial aid available, lol.

It was my only choice. I was going to branch out later if it didn't work, but I really didn't want to go anywhere else...UNC fit everything I believe/know about OT. I love the faculty, the school, and I'm so thankful it all worked out! :)

Looks like it came through! Not much financial info though, other than residency status. Hope to see you in class in the fall!

That's awesome! I really loved UNC's program as well, and my visit there only solidified my already very positive position on the school, faculty and work they do.

And I'm glad the long-awaited email finally came through! I'm not sure if this is the case for you, but I was really disappointed to learn that my residency status was "Undetermined. " So now I still don't even know about financial aid, etc. Anyway, I guess I'll see what happens. Congratulations again and maybe I will be seeing you!

Fortunately, I have lived here my entire life. Again, I feel very lucky that my dream school was in state. If you see yourself living here after graduation, it would be worth going to UNC just for the networking. They seem to know an endless amount of people in the area to help with getting a job after school. This besides the top quality teaching staff and stellar passing rate on the national exam. I know that OOS rates are a beast though. I hope that you can convince them of residency!

I'm late to the party but wanted to say hello to my future classmates! Does anyone know of an existing Facebook group? If not, I'm happy to make one.

I checked on that the other day and didn't find anything on Facebook. I'm interested too, especially since we all probably know a few of each other from the interview day!

Whoops! Didn't know about the official group on its way. Thanks for the heads up. :)

Also, does the link I shared give you the option to request to join?

Haha, they're so nice that I'm sure if you wrote and told them you'd made a group they'd send out the link to super-excited people like us to join! But I guess we can cross the bridge of "the 'official' group" if we come to it.
And I just joined the group! Maybe if we get some more people added in the next few weeks we can do a "get to know you" activity or post or something.

Totally - I'd love to know more about where people are from and what everyone's backgrounds are! I was so impressed with everyone I met at the interview day so can't wait to really get to know the class. And great suggestion about emailing Linn...we'll see if this group picks up steam, and maybe I'll do that.

I'm not sure if I was just able to view the group members since you added me earlier, but now there are six people in it! Which is like 25% of the class. That's great! Although I was wondering...is there a check to make sure everybody joining the group is actually in the class? I know that seems silly, and I suppose it doesn't really matter in the end, but since it's a publicly posted link, technically anyone could join...just something to think about.

Well, there's no real check (until Linn circulates the official list), but so far all but one group member lives in Chapel Hill, so I'm hopeful everyone's legit. I don't think the page is too public/visible, but if any USC spies start snooping about, we'll boot them. ;-)

I like this plan. I see this group getting along just fine, lol.

hey, what are you guys' grades looking like? cuz i plan on applying to UNC for the 2014-2015 cycle and i want to see if i stack up. thanks!

Haha, assuming that my add was the one that drew suspicion, I was wondering if that would happen. I dismantled my facebook profile over a year ago for various reasons by never turned it off. So I have next to no info on my profile and my pic is an artist that I was exploring over a year ago.

Oh no, Kidamnesiac, I wasn't singling anyone out! It just occurred to me that technically anyone who found the group could join, and we would have no way of knowing whether or not they were legit. But it is nice to know that there is a real person behind that mysterious artwork...I feel so much better knowing you're not some spy! :D

And to dobber - I will happily send you information about my grades in a private message, if you would like more information, but I don't feel comfortable sharing them here. Just contact me or let me know!

Oh it's no problem. I just looked at my profile on there and laughed. It's like a yard that hasn't been mowed or weeded in a year and a half. :)

Oh it's no problem. I just looked at my profile on there and laughed. It's like a yard that hasn't been mowed or weeded in a year and a half. :)

Haha! I know what you mean. Though I've never deleted my page, I haven't updated my Facebook "About" section since 2006-ish so all of my interests are outdated and bizarre. I think of it as an homage to a younger me, like visiting a museum.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone else apply to the UNC OT program for Fall of 2015?