UNC Pharmacy Fall 08' Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunwarrior86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, to all those who are applying to UNC- good luck. Does anyone know when they start calling for interviews, because I have heard both December and January? Oh well, I'm still waiting on Oct. PCAT scores. Good luck to all!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, to all those who are applying to UNC- good luck. Does anyone know when they start calling for interviews, because I have heard both December and January? Oh well, I'm still waiting on Oct. PCAT scores. Good luck to all!

Same here, they tell me not to call or anything. So I guess we have to wait for the PCAT. My application and supplement had been done in September. Anything else please update. Thanks

What I am hoping is that Oct. PCAT scores will escalate the process. If I find out anything else, I will post. If anyone else finds out anything, please share! Again, good luck to all who are applying for 08!

Members don't see this ad :)
I know there's one in December, a few in January, and a few in February.

They did it kind of strange for us. They sent an email telling you to call the student services office, then someone from student services calls you the same day asking you if you want to interview.

Last year, I was called and emailed on a Monday (about 2nd week of Dec.) for an interview on Friday of the same week. That was finals week, so I rescheduled in January.

So unless they change it this year, I wouldn't expect to hear anything until about Dec. 10th.

I had my application done and submitted beginning of september to UNC, so i'll post back when I find out more info. Hopefully they will start scheduling interviews soon. the anticipation is killing me

I had my application and supplement done by mid September, also. I am so anxious to hear anything back from them. I will post anything if I hear from the school. Good luck, guys

I know there's one in December, a few in January, and a few in February.

They did it kind of strange for us. They sent an email telling you to call the student services office, then someone from student services calls you the same day asking you if you want to interview.

Last year, I was called and emailed on a Monday (about 2nd week of Dec.) for an interview on Friday of the same week. That was finals week, so I rescheduled in January.

So unless they change it this year, I wouldn't expect to hear anything until about Dec. 10th.

Thanks for the advice and input! Hopefully we will start hearing call dates from them in a few weeks! Good luck to all who have applied!

Yeah, I'm still waiting on the PCAT scores too, but I don't expect to hear anything from UNC too soon because I submitted kinda late. Good luck to everybody!!!!!!!!;)

:oops:
I am also waiting from UNC, epecially since it is the only school I applied.
But I submitted my application really late, 10/30, :D, is it true that the later you submit your application, the later you will get called for interview?:mad: Just checke PharmCAS, they just sent out my application to UNC on Nov 26th.
Just got my PCAT score from Oct, composite 94% and 4/3.5 for writing, I am pretty happy about it (even thought I onlygot 69% for verbal, :eek:).
Since I got my BS from overseas, my GPA is from all the grad classes I took in the US, (3.8), so I am thinking if my LORs are decent I should get a interview, right?
Thanks for listening and good luck to us all!:love:
PS Did anyone hear from them about the in-state/out-of-Sate status, I still haven't?

Pharmpower, I don't think it matters when you submit your application. I submitted mine the very last day-I mailed it Oct 31. My interview was in January, and there were still interviews after mine. With this high PCAT score and GPA you have very good chances of getting an interview. I am sure you will do well. Don't stress too much. Good luck with your application.

Pharmpower, I don't think it matters when you submit your application. I submitted mine the very last day-I mailed it Oct 31. My interview was in January, and there were still interviews after mine. With this high PCAT score and GPA you have very good chances of getting an interview. I am sure you will do well. Don't stress too much. Good luck with your application.

Thank you for your kind reply, tashka, it makes me feel a lot better:laugh:
I guess I will be patient and wait then...

PCAT scores are out...good luck to all who applied! Hoepfully within the next few weeks we will hear some interview requests!

I am on the late cycle as well...unless UNC has a tier application system as some schools..I really have no clue as to who gets the call first....submitted my application on 10/29...heard nothing as yet...they cashed my cheque tho :D:D.....

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, they don't have any tiers or rolling admissions. They look at all applications after the deadline and decide who to invite. I don't think it matters if you go to the first or last interview. As I said, mine was towards the end, and I am in. Do not worry about this.

I got an offer to interview at UNC! The e-mail came today at about 12:00 pm pacific time. I do not know when it is is, I called the admissions lady to accept the offer, but she has not called back.....

I got an interview offer, too. I'm not sure when the actual interview will take place, but I imagine sometime in January.

I got interview invite today as well... Good luck to those that interview...

When did you all submit on PharmCAS? Earlier in the year I spoke with the admissions dept. about my less than stellar GPA and how waiting until my fall grades were received would significantly raise my GPA. She said that my application would be re-evaluated after the fall grades were sent but does this mean I have to wait another 3 months? :confused: Anyone else doing this?

I got my interview invitation via email. good luck to everyone\

ps: i applied to Pharmcas at the end of August

BADD, no , you are not going to wait for 3 month. They might invite you in January. I was invited in January as well as many other people. And there was also interview in February as well.

Well that makes me feel a little better! It seems like if you can get an interview your odds are pretty good at this school... :thumbup:

Yes, if they invite you, they definitely give you a serious consideration. It also depends if you are in state or out of state applicant.

When did you all submit on PharmCAS? Earlier in the year I spoke with the admissions dept. about my less than stellar GPA and how waiting until my fall grades were received would significantly raise my GPA. She said that my application would be re-evaluated after the fall grades were sent but does this mean I have to wait another 3 months? :confused: Anyone else doing this?

I am in the EXACT same situation!!!! I'm freakin out right now because people have started getting interview requests already.:( And to make it even worse, my Oct PCAT that I was counting on turned out to be a lower than I expected!!!! I'm so scared right now!!!

tryin2beapharmd, im right with you. Im waiting too, my Oct PCAT was average, so I am freakin out right now as well, but there is still LOTS of time for interviews!!! And a BIG congratulations to those that have already been given interviews! Good luck!

Yes, if they invite you, they definitely give you a serious consideration. It also depends if you are in state or out of state applicant.

I'm out-of-state... so do you have an idea how many they take?

They take about 20% out of state students. If you want exact number, you can check their web site. It is harder to get in as out of state student. Congratulations on your interview invite and good luck.

Hey everyone. I got an interview invitation today. My interview is on the 17th of December.

Hey everyone that got an interview, what were your PCAT scores and GPA. I got an interview but I'm from out of state so I'm wondering if I have a good chance at all. Thanks!

Hey everyone that got an interview, what were your PCAT scores and GPA. I got an interview but I'm from out of state so I'm wondering if I have a good chance at all. Thanks!

GPA is a 3.5
PCAT is 95

Out of state as well...

Good luck w/ the interview...

it looks like they interview a lot of out of state students.

good luck to you all!

I am still waiting on the interview invitation. Like kidlove said earlier, it looks like they give all priority to out of state people. is UNCboy88 also the out of stater?
When I heard your guys got interview invitation, I was so angry at myself. I thought the world was over, because UNC is the only school I applied for. Anyways, let's cross our fingers while waiting for the good news.
Good luck!!:thumbup:

Congratulations to those who had got interviews!:)
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
I just received an email from student service saying that my application is received and complete, since PharmCAS just sent it 3 days ago, it is not bad.
But one thing worries me is that on the bottom for residency status, it marked "pending receipt of residency application. :(
The thing is that I am not an US citizen, but a Permenant Resident, after I send in the normal residency application form, they send me another form and ask for copies for my GC. I have sent all these in mid Oct and was notified that it was recieved, however I never heard from them regarding my residency status.:eek:
I hope it is just b/c I am a PR vs a citizen and it might take longer for them to decide, but i have lived in NC for 9 years and paid tax for 9 years, and I don't see any reason they should consider me otherwise.
Have you guys all heard about the residency stauts pretty soon?:confused:
I hate all these extra stuff, besides, I want to take the placement test for Org Chem to gain credit for CHM261 and 262, sent email to two prof and did not get any reply in terms of date of the test in Jan before Spring semester, and the textbooks used for these classes. Anyone here can help me? Please!:love:

Actually priority is supposed to be given to IN state students...because the school is state supported it cannot have greater than 20% out of state enrolled.

congrats to all those who got interviews!!

I don't know about putting priority on out of staters-I'm also an out of state student and am hoping to get an interview (although I don't know if I will, my GPA is less than a 3.5, despite my PCAT score being in the 90's). Just remember that the people here represent only a small minority of those who are actually applying; there are probably many in state students who got their interviews too.

For those of you who have already received interview invites, when did you submit your PharmCAS application/Supplemental Application?

Thanks!

I sent in my PharmCAS on June 28th, then it was sent out to schools on July 27th.

My interview is the first session on the 17th, good luck everyone!

I sent my Pharmcas in August and paid my sup fee in September.

Congratulations to those who had got interviews!:)
Good luck and let us know how it goes!
I just received an email from student service saying that my application is received and complete, since PharmCAS just sent it 3 days ago, it is not bad.
But one thing worries me is that on the bottom for residency status, it marked "pending receipt of residency application. :(
The thing is that I am not an US citizen, but a Permenant Resident, after I send in the normal residency application form, they send me another form and ask for copies for my GC. I have sent all these in mid Oct and was notified that it was recieved, however I never heard from them regarding my residency status.:eek:
I hope it is just b/c I am a PR vs a citizen and it might take longer for them to decide, but i have lived in NC for 9 years and paid tax for 9 years, and I don't see any reason they should consider me otherwise.
Have you guys all heard about the residency stauts pretty soon?:confused:
I hate all these extra stuff, besides, I want to take the placement test for Org Chem to gain credit for CHM261 and 262, sent email to two prof and did not get any reply in terms of date of the test in Jan before Spring semester, and the textbooks used for these classes. Anyone here can help me? Please!:love:

I don't think whether you are a citizen or a GC holder matters in the process because they would treat you the same, but that is just my opinion.

Good luck

Pharmapower, I am also GC holder, and it has no bearing on admissions. If you lived in NC for so long, you are definitely in state applicant. That is the only thing that matters.

I am scheduled for an interview Dec. 17th. Does anyone know for sure if this is the first interview held? Do out-of-state students have less of a chance of getting in?

To kidlove and tashka
Thank you guys for your assuring message, definitely give me some comfort:)

I am scheduled for an interview Dec. 17th. Does anyone know for sure if this is the first interview held? Do out-of-state students have less of a chance of getting in?

Yes, this is the first interview that UNC is holding (they told us at an info session that they would start in Dec). Being a state school they can only accept so many.....so the competition is definitely more fierce for the out of state students. For last year's class out of the 805 applications they received about 395 were out of state and about 25 of the total 155 that they admit were out of state (from info packet, although the out of state stats don't include the number of out-of-staters who may have withdrawn their application or simply declined their acceptance). Hope this helps!!!:)

Hey does anyone know how many people they interview?

so everybody got a interview invite except me, that's great.:(

so everybody got a interview invite except me, that's great.:(

You should look closer to the top of this thread....you're not the only one!!! There are a couple of us!!!;) Just hang on, we'll get our emails later. They're just now starting interviews.

does anyone know whether there is an essay portion in the interview?

Thanks

Last year there was no essay.

thank you tashka :). I will have my first interview this coming Monday. I am quite nervous about it :D

I too have an interview on 12/17 at 12 pm and am an out of stater as well.....I have 3.6 GPA, 88 PCAT and currently work in clinical research....

Maybe they are getting all there out of state interviews over first??

Looking forward to meeting all of you