UNC Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raph91

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody knew anything about UNC-Chapel Hill? I was specifically wondering how strong a program it was and how well it matches its residents afterwards. Can't find any info on the website so I'm kind of stuck about deciding whether or not to cancel the interview. Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

I would also like to hear other people's perspective on UNC. It's a strong program that rarely is discussed on this board. I'm wondering how people feel it compares to other top-tier but not necessarily elite programs (Emory, Vandy, Northwestern, etc)

Want2ScopeU said:
I would also like to hear other people's perspective on UNC. It's a strong program that rarely is discussed on this board. I'm wondering how people feel it compares to other top-tier but not necessarily elite programs (Emory, Vandy, Northwestern, etc)

I can't speak for programs not in the South, but I think other places in the top tier category such as UAB, Emory, Vandy would certainly offer many of the same advantages UNC offers, such as name recognition, research opportunities, and fellowship placement. Those programs in particular would, though, bring a broader patient population to the table, as each has at least a univ hospital and a VA (county hospital at UAB and Emory as well). I also think that UNC's facilities (at least for medicine) pale in comparison to the other programs mentioned. The people at UNC seemed pretty nice and seemed to get along well, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also, very few if any residents can afford to live in Chapel Hill, so most either live in Durham, which isn't that great, or out in the country around chapel hill. It certainly doesn't have a big city feel, but of course the college scene is pretty active if that is your thing. Speaking of NC, I think that Wake Forest is as good if not better than UNC in a lot areas, esp facilities and resident satisfaction. WFU hospital is also the highest acuity hospital in NC, surprisingly enough. It would be a place to look at for sure if you like the state of NC. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
how does duke fall into this? Compared to UNC, UVA and the others? Particularly UNC... thanks.

tigersMD said:
I can't speak for programs not in the South, but I think other places in the top tier category such as UAB, Emory, Vandy would certainly offer many of the same advantages UNC offers, such as name recognition, research opportunities, and fellowship placement. Those programs in particular would, though, bring a broader patient population to the table, as each has at least a univ hospital and a VA (county hospital at UAB and Emory as well). I also think that UNC's facilities (at least for medicine) pale in comparison to the other programs mentioned. The people at UNC seemed pretty nice and seemed to get along well, but nothing out of the ordinary. Also, very few if any residents can afford to live in Chapel Hill, so most either live in Durham, which isn't that great, or out in the country around chapel hill. It certainly doesn't have a big city feel, but of course the college scene is pretty active if that is your thing. Speaking of NC, I think that Wake Forest is as good if not better than UNC in a lot areas, esp facilities and resident satisfaction. WFU hospital is also the highest acuity hospital in NC, surprisingly enough. It would be a place to look at for sure if you like the state of NC. Hope this helps.

I am a 3rd year medical student at UNC and I have to disagree with the above post. I fully acknowledge that I am biased and I am not a resident in the program so can only speak as an observer. I agree that Emory, Vandy, Duke are all at the top in the south but I believe UNC is on the teir right below. I have never heard Wake Forests program suggested as equal or better before. I know alot of Chapel Hill people but I also know some med students and residents in other programs and I am pretty sure when I say Chapel Hill is regarded as the second best program in NC (No denying Duke is regarded as the best) I am sure WFU has a very nice program but as far as reputation, research dollars, and training I suspect UNC is better. I have never looked into Wake's program but that is because I have never really heard anything about it before. Additionally, it is true that many residents and students live in Durham but not the sketchy parts of Durham. Durham is not a great town but the areas we are talking about blend right into Chapel Hill and are quite nice. There are also affordable housing in Chapel Hill (more expensive than Durham that is true) but if you can afford Atlanta you can definately find an apartment or house very close the hospital. All in all I think Chapel Hill is a great place. The residents I have met are capable, friendly people who work well together for the patients. The facillities are very nice (I do not know what the above post was referring too and I do not have anything really to compare but I find it hard to figure out what we do not have or what we have that is not nice, other than no VA that is true). I think the RTP area is great to live in with many benefits of a major city but not as much traffic and other hastles. The residents go on to fellowships 80% of the time I believe and I have no idea whether the quality of places they go, I have not looked into it. All and all if you are looking for a very good program (true not the best) to train and go on to a fellowship than I definately think it is a great place to look into.