Clinical IM Elective at UAB or UNC ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tipoftheiceberg

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am an IMG and I got accepted for a two month endocrinology rotation at UAB (University of Alabama, Birmingham) and a 2 month rotation (Infectious Diseases and GIT) at UNC (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill) at the same time. Both have almost the same ranking and the same expenses. I prefer endocrinology over infectious diseases but I prefer GIT over both. Does anybody know which will be stronger on my CV given that I will be applying for IM ? And has anyone been to any of those rotations than can advise me ?
thank you very much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, I am an IMG and I got accepted for a two month endocrinology rotation at UAB (University of Alabama, Birmingham) and a 2 month rotation (Infectious Diseases and GIT) at UNC (University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill) at the same time. Both have almost the same ranking and the same expenses. I prefer endocrinology over infectious diseases but I prefer GIT over both. Does anybody know which will be stronger on my CV given that I will be applying for IM ? And has anyone been to any of those rotations than can advise me ?

What is GIT? Gastroenterology (GI)?

No matter what it is, I'd vote for the UNC rotation because it gives you more variety. You will get LORs from different specialties which is good. And ID is a massive part of IM training and practice so you'll learn a lot (not that Endo isn't...just that I think ID is a more high-yield rotation most places).

thank u for replying. that's a very good point u raised there.LORs from different specialties..and yes I meant gastroenterology.
I have another concern, I dont think I will be applying for the match before September 2014, so will the LORs I get from US rotations now be of any value after 2 years ? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
do yourself a favor and never go to Birmingham, Alabama

Wd recommend UNC..