UNC secondary question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monwilli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, had to move this one from the NC med school thread b/c its been a little dead lately.

On the UNC secondary, you have an option of elaborating on three qualities related to medicine. This means the activity must of also had to relate to medicine, correct?

And is it looked upon negatively if you choose to list five qualities rather than writing the essay?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I want to know as well whether it would be ok to just list five qualities.

monwilli said:
Hey folks, had to move this one from the NC med school thread b/c its been a little dead lately.

On the UNC secondary, you have an option of elaborating on three qualities related to medicine. This means the activity must of also had to relate to medicine, correct?

And is it looked upon negatively if you choose to list five qualities rather than writing the essay?

Yeah I'm curious about this one too. I could write about an experience where I exemplified "commitment, initiative and independence" but it says, "as they relate to medicine" I don't necessary have a clinical experience like that. Does it have to be clinical or am I reading it wrong? Does anyone else know what they're gonna write about?

Plus, the listing the 5 qualities seems pretty lame, but I may have to choose that option. I guess as long as you can back it up in the interview it would be ok. Thoughts anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
another question, do you know if out of staters that receive secondaries are also guarranteed an interview?

there is absolutely no downside WHATSOEVER for listing 5 qualities. it doesn't hurt you in any way, whether EDP, getting an interview, getting in, or getting a scholarship.

also, all OOSers who get secondaries are guaranteed an interview.

that's good because i already mailed out my secondary...but how do you know that there is no downside to listing five qualities? Why would anyone want to write an essay at this point?

oooh i'm so excited about UNC.

top said:
there is absolutely no downside WHATSOEVER for listing 5 qualities. it doesn't hurt you in any way, whether EDP, getting an interview, getting in, or getting a scholarship.

also, all OOSers who get secondaries are guaranteed an interview.

NO . . . all IN-STATE applicants are guaranteed an interview. They screen OOS first for secondary, then again for interview . . . read the email they sent out carefully, their process is kind of confusing.

CTtarheel said:
NO . . . all IN-STATE applicants are guaranteed an interview. They screen OOS first for secondary, then again for interview . . . read the email they sent out carefully, their process is kind of confusing.

Whoops, my bad...obviously i was in-state. I had a couple of friends who were out of state who got into UNC, and I guess I misheard/misunderstood what they were saying about how it worked for them.

CTtarheel said:

I'm OOS, and they emailed me the secondary, but it doesn't say anything about them screening me again for an interview. Also, on their Application Timetable, it makes it seem like anyone who gets a secondary is invited for interview. The secondary is just more competitive for OOS.
Application Timetable: http://www.med.unc.edu/admit/timetable.htm

goinoutofmymind said:
I'm OOS, and they emailed me the secondary, but it doesn't say anything about them screening me again for an interview. Also, on their Application Timetable, it makes it seem like anyone who gets a secondary is invited for interview. The secondary is just more competitive for OOS.

All OOS are definately screened again before an interview invite. I got it cleared up with the office.

EDIT: nevermind then i guess they do screen again

The first email they send out:

OUT-OF-STATE APPLICANTS

Supplemental applications will be sent to all qualified out-of-state applicants who meet our criteria. Once we receive the supplemental application and the required fee, all materials will be reviewed and the applicant will then be considered for an interview. Those applicants selected will be contacted for scheduling their interviews.

They don't mention it agian on the secondary email, I'm OOS, so I don't know if they send a different email to the IS people.

topdogg82 said:
someone already called and apparently if you get a secondary, you get an interview, regardless of state of residency

That's not what the admissions office told me.

Members don't see this ad :)
The website says all applicants who get secondary get invite, I then called and was told the same thing by an admissions office person

done deal. ignore the email.

Ironhead2000 said:
That's not what the admissions office told me.

wtf, the admissions dept is giving out contradictory info. this sucks.

I called again and got to the bottom of it.

ME: "Hi, I read in one place that all applicants who get supplementals get interviews"
ADCOM LACKY: "Thats correct"
Me: "I read somewhere else that out of state people are screened again before being offered an interview
ADCOM LACKY: "There is an additional screening, yes"

he then couldn't see the contradiction in this, but after a few minutes of talking I've come to the conclusion that a) unc's adcom staff is not well trained, and has a shakey understanding of the admission process b) oos applicants are screened again before being offered an interview

that is all.

beaverfetus said:
I called again and got to the bottom of it.

ME: "Hi, I read in one place that all applicants who get supplementals get interviews"
ADCOM LACKY: "Thats correct"
Me: "I read somewhere else that out of state people are screened again before being offered an interview
ADCOM LACKY: "There is an additional screening, yes"

he then couldn't see the contradiction in this, but after a few minutes of talking I've come to the conclusion that a) unc's adcom staff is not well trained, and has a shakey understanding of the admission process b) oos applicants are screened again before being offered an interview

that is all.

HAHA,I could have told you that... I talked to someone and had nearly the same conversation.

Me: Does everyone that recieves a secondary get an interview?
them: yes that is correct
Me: even out of state applicants?
them: Yes, everyone [hears background voices] hold please
2 minutes later
them: sir out of state applicants will then be screened upon reciept of the supplemental for a decision to interview invite.

I think that's what their taught. You would think they would know the answer by now.

gah, how annoying! Heres to thinking I had one of 80 oos interview's for about a week!

/down with the untrained glorified adcom clerical staff!

and what grinds my gears further is that the supplemental has no further info! besides the five qualities!

they just wan't 65 dollars so they can cut more of us.

What exactly will they get out of an OOS secondary to use as a basis for an additional screen? I guess if you've been convicted of several crimes and kicked out of a previous college, they might decide to pass on you. Other than that the only new information is the 5 qualities.

goinoutofmymind said:

Bad times for me! I'm OOS and haven't received a secondary... am I f***ed or have they not yet gotten to my app? I've received NOTHING from them besides the generic "we have your amcas" email...

i'm oos too, took them like a week to get me the secondary after receiving my amcas, don't sweat it

CTtarheel said:
i'm oos too, took them like a week to get me the secondary after receiving my amcas, don't sweat it

it's been almost a month for me. i haven't gotten ANYTHING. i think i might call them tomorrow.

goinoutofmymind said:
Yeah I'm curious about this one too. I could write about an experience where I exemplified "commitment, initiative and independence" but it says, "as they relate to medicine" I don't necessary have a clinical experience like that. Does it have to be clinical or am I reading it wrong? Does anyone else know what they're gonna write about?

Plus, the listing the 5 qualities seems pretty lame, but I may have to choose that option. I guess as long as you can back it up in the interview it would be ok. Thoughts anyone?

I wrote about my research experience for the essay. It's not clinical, but research is mentioned in the promt. As long as it is somewhat medically related I think it would be fine. There should not be any downside to just listing the qualities because they say do either/or. Just my two cents.

GoDAWGS! said:
I wrote about my research experience for the essay. It's not clinical, but research is mentioned in the promt. As long as it is somewhat medically related I think it would be fine. There should not be any downside to just listing the qualities because they say do either/or. Just my two cents.

my opinion on the essay question was that it doesnt have to be a clinical experience, it could be anything that fits the prompt, but you need to show how the experience and the traits you brought to it and gained from it will relate to medicine.

monwilli said:

Personally, I think the 5 qualities serve as a great response instead of the essay. If you have a personal statement that's worth anything, you've probably already touched on the first optional essay. And let's be frank, interviewers and the admin committee aren't going to read it that closely, and will probably barely read your PS that closely anyways, so I think the 5 qualities are a good way to quickly let an interviewer and admin committee review what you're about.

BTW I'm an OOSer as well. If you're worried about secondaries- don't be, it took them a while for me (email of receipt of primary 7/24, sent secondary email 8/4). Oddly on of the links above there was a UNC help text which said to only send L.O.R.'s unless asked for interview, but the secondary requests them immediately (which I guess for in-staters is one in the same). It's clear that UNC's admin office doesn't quite have it's act together, so just be patient.