UNC vs UF

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Audihopful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Season Greetings to all!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful time as we approach the holidays. I applied to only two programs due to family restraint and i was wondering which would you guys consider the more diffucult to gain admissions to. I'm an African American Female with a 3.6 GPA and and average scores. I also grew up with siblings diagnosed with hearing loss so i have some personal experience with it. Which do you guys forsee me having the more difficulty getting in?

Members don't see this ad.

Season Greetings to all!

I hope everyone is having a wonderful time as we approach the holidays. I applied to only two programs due to family restraint and i was wondering which would you guys consider the more diffucult to gain admissions to. I'm an African American Female with a 3.6 GPA and and average scores. I also grew up with siblings diagnosed with hearing loss so i have some personal experience with it. Which do you guys forsee me having the more difficulty getting in?

Hey Audihopful,

Here are the stats on these two programs from ASHA's Edfind:

UF: http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Doc...H+rjbwwsaOwhkI/eA8Ob8RnhKovEtMYMR9uNZCtT7Qc5c

UNC: http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Doc...PK9mKJAJ2T1ioigw+QYXw7rwDKaLLi4Q/XOPdgkhOvRFB

According to the stats, UNC is slightly harder to get into than UF but not by much. However, I'm under the impression that every program evaluates their applicants a bit differently so it's hard to say which one you would be more competitive at.

From what I can infer from your past posts, I imagine you would stand a decent chance at both of these programs. It just depends on the competitiveness of the applicant pool for this year.

Hopefully this helps, I don't know if the ASHA stats are updated to include Fall 2011 admissions but it should help give you a clearer picture :).

Hey Audihopful,

Here are the stats on these two programs from ASHA's Edfind:

UF: http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Doc...H+rjbwwsaOwhkI/eA8Ob8RnhKovEtMYMR9uNZCtT7Qc5c

UNC: http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Doc...PK9mKJAJ2T1ioigw+QYXw7rwDKaLLi4Q/XOPdgkhOvRFB

According to the stats, UNC is slightly harder to get into than UF but not by much. However, I'm under the impression that every program evaluates their applicants a bit differently so it's hard to say which one you would be more competitive at.

From what I can infer from your past posts, I imagine you would stand a decent chance at both of these programs. It just depends on the competitiveness of the applicant pool for this year.

Hopefully this helps, I don't know if the ASHA stats are updated to include Fall 2011 admissions but it should help give you a clearer picture :).

Thanks alot spring :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at UNC last year. There program and facilities were nice. However, unless you are well off, in-state, or plan on taking out a lot of loans I would not recommend wasting your time with them. Unless things changed, which I doubt since it has been one year, there financial assistance was pitiful to what other schools could offer. Since they are in the medical school they do not have any graduate assistanships (GAs). The best they had last year was a maximum of like $12,500 if you could get on a pediatric grant that one of the faculty members have. Of course those are of limited availability and not everyone will get one. $12,500 may sound like a lot but if you have to pay out of state rates you will see that it does not get you far compared to other GAs where you get a stipend and credit remission. You are much more likely to get a good GA from UF than the pediatric grant at UNC. So if I where you and either don't want loans, aren't well off, and/or not in state I would suggest you save your time and effort on another school where you could get a nice GA.

I interviewed at UNC last year. There program and facilities were nice. However, unless you are well off, in-state, or plan on taking out a lot of loans I would not recommend wasting your time with them. Unless things changed, which I doubt since it has been one year, there financial assistance was pitiful to what other schools could offer. Since they are in the medical school they do not have any graduate assistanships (GAs). The best they had last year was a maximum of like $12,500 if you could get on a pediatric grant that one of the faculty members have. Of course those are of limited availability and not everyone will get one. $12,500 may sound like a lot but if you have to pay out of state rates you will see that it does not get you far compared to other GAs where you get a stipend and credit remission. You are much more likely to get a good GA from UF than the pediatric grant at UNC. So if I where you and either don't want loans, aren't well off, and/or not in state I would suggest you save your time and effort on another school where you could get a nice GA.

Thanks alot easter:) I'm instate so that helps. It sucks because i can only apply to those two alone due to location restriction. If i dont get into one of the two i'm screwed.

Anyone have anymore advice? I would love to hear from someone who applied to both and either interview, got accepted to both or got accepted into one share their thoughts please. I'm freaking out since i only have two shots of going to school in the fall.

Hi,

I don't know anyone who applied to both. However, I know a few people who applied to either UNC or UF and were accepted. They were accepted at the rest of their programs as well and ultimately decided not to go to either UF or UNC.

I vaguely remembered someone who got into both UNC and UF from when we would post our acceptances on a thread last year. Her username is AuDhopeful (yes, a coincidence) and I'm pretty sure she ended up going to WUSTL. I don't know how active she is on here anymore but it may be worthwhile to PM her :).

p.s In reference to my earlier post, I don't think UF or UNC's stats from EdFind reflect their wait-list numbers. It may just reflect the amount of people they initially accepted. If someone gets wait-listed at a program, they still stand a decent chance in getting accepted.

Hi,

I don't know anyone who applied to both. However, I know a few people who applied to either UNC or UF and were accepted. They were accepted at the rest of their programs as well and ultimately decided not to go to either UF or UNC.

I vaguely remembered someone who got into both UNC and UF from when we would post our acceptances on a thread last year. Her username is AuDhopeful (yes, a coincidence) and I'm pretty sure she ended up going to WUSTL. I don't know how active she is on here anymore but it may be worthwhile to PM her :).

p.s In reference to my earlier post, I don't think UF or UNC's stats from EdFind reflect their wait-list numbers. It may just reflect the amount of people they initially accepted. If someone gets wait-listed at a program, they still stand a decent chance in getting accepted.

Spring you are my Santa this year:) You are awesome, this makes my feel so much better, the waitlist greatly increases my chance, i'll be hoping for an acceptance or waitlist at either school. So it seems i might not be totally screwed afterall, whew!!!!
I'm searching for AuDhopeful as we speak, however i'm thinking if she got into both as well as WUSTL she must have some incredible stats that i dont have. I might be putting too much pressure on myself but i'm scared outta my mind since i dont have any back up or safety schools to fall back on Thanks so much!