Monkitty

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
CoMO
Status
Medical Student
I'm currently taking Animal Physiology and Biochem. The Physiology class isn't posing a problem but the Biochem class has me on edge.

Long story short, I'm worried about getting an A in it and am thinking of dropping it and taking UNE's course. I believe @Goro has said missing an A in these upper level classes on the home stretch can look really bad on the application.

I'm worried about the perceived lack of rigor in the online class versuses the physical class. Is it large enough that I should try to stick with it? Or is the UNE class viewed well enough?

Thanks

mathnerd88

5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I don't understand. You're worried about NOT getting an A? Or worried about getting an A?

DO schools don't have time to nitpick every aspect of your application. The online class should suffice. Getting a withdrawal and then taking the class online MAY look bad, but it shouldn't matter.

Reactions: studentDOnut

studentDOnut

2+ Year Member
Sep 1, 2015
Dude honestly just suck it up, be a man and finish the class. Getting a withdrawal in Biochemistry will raise a red flag, on whether you can handle medical school curriculum. If you're taking animal physiology in addition to biochemistry, imagine this... First semester of medical school is gross anatomy and physiology, biochemistry and lot more rigorous classes. If you get an A, then you get an A, if you get a B, it won't kill you. I doubt they'll mention the B in the interview, but just try your best man.

OP
Monkitty

Monkitty

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
CoMO
Status
Medical Student
I'm worried about not getting an A.

And it's not just the grade. There is a lot more going on in my life and basically I'm having no time for my family. If I drop this class (prior to withdrawal date it doesn't show up on transcript) I can take it at a time (online) that is better for me.

And yes, I realize I won't have much time for my family in medical school, but that is unavoidable. It is avoidable now, and I would like to enjoy sometime with my family while I can.

pericardium

CPR certified
5+ Year Member
May 22, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Read up on the UNE biochemistry class, its no walk in the park.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
You'll be OK with a B.

I'm currently taking Animal Physiology and Biochem. The Physiology class isn't posing a problem but the Biochem class has me on edge.

Long story short, I'm worried about getting an A in it and am thinking of dropping it and taking UNE's course. I believe @Goro has said missing an A in these upper level classes on the home stretch can look really bad on the application.

I'm worried about the perceived lack of rigor in the online class versuses the physical class. Is it large enough that I should try to stick with it? Or is the UNE class viewed well enough?

Thanks

OP
Monkitty

Monkitty

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2015
CoMO
Status
Medical Student
Read up on the UNE biochemistry class, its no walk in the park.
That's the gist I've gotten, but my current class isn't really easy either. Mostly the flexibility of the online class is what is most appealing. As I can start it late this semester/next when I am less pressed for time.

Thanks for the reply Goro. At least that takes a little pressure off.