Uncertain about returning to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scarlettt

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure where to begin with my story... I'll try to keep this short. No promises though.

Two years into undergrad I decided I wanted to try for admission to medical school. I have always had an interest in neuroscience and psychology, and decided that medicine would be a good way to explore those fields while also providing good job security, mobility, and a decent income. I have never been the stereotypical "starry-eyed premed" with a lifelong passion for medicine; I would say that I have never had a true passion for medicine, though I find some of the science quite interesting and always did well in my prereqs. I should mention at this point that I started college at 25, so I was certainly a nontraditional applicant. I loved being a student again and was actually excited at the prospect of four more years of school after college.

At first I really didn't expect that I would get in, because I had come to this decision so late in the game and had many hurdles to overcome. Once I began the application process, it was so all-consuming (I was working 50 hours per week in addition to full-time classes during the application process) that I never took the time to seriously think about my decision again. Last year I was accepted to three schools and chose the one that I thought would challenge me the most, figuring it would make me a better doctor in the end.

The very first day of classes I came home and said to my SO, "I think I've made a huge mistake." I felt completely out of place in medical school, not because I was older than the other students in my class, but because they all were so much more enthusiastic about medicine than me. As the weeks went by, I just couldn't shake that sense of wrongness, and though I continued to do well in classes and made some great friends, it became harder and harder to focus. I am typically a very fast reader, but with my med school textbooks I was able to read only four or five pages an hour, and even then I couldn't have told you right afterward what I had just read. I would come home from classes every single day and google "dropping out of medical school" before I studied, because only when I thought about leaving did I feel any kind of peace. I missed the life I had left behind terribly -- I had a management job before I left for med school, and I had genuinely enjoyed going to work every morning.

Finally I gave up and took a leave of absence. I moved back home, felt ashamed for leaving med school, and frankly wasted the past half a year telling myself that I needed to stay miserable so I wouldn't miss my old life again when I returned to school. A few months ago I would have told you that I was definitely going to go back, but as the time has drawn closer, I have been feeling a growing sense of dread. I can't sleep unless I am so tired that I can't keep my eyes open. Classes start in less than a month and I haven't found a place to live for school yet or made any of the other arrangements I know I should be making. My SO is against going back because he says I don't really seem like I want this, and it's hard to be supportive if my heart isn't in it. I've seen a psychiatrist for the anxiety, who hasn't been a lot of help (quote: "I only became a doctor so I could come to America. Your reasons are better than mine, so if I can be happy in this job, so can you.").

I am angry with myself that I don't feel enthusiastic about returning to medical school. Everyone I know is constantly telling me what a privilege and a gift it is to have the chance to become a doctor. On these boards I always read, "you shouldn't become a physician unless you can't imagine doing anything else," and while every doctor I've spoken to thinks that's a bit of an exaggeration, I do agree that medical school and residency are huge commitments requiring a lot of sacrifice. I don't see medicine as a calling, but as a job, and while I have no doubts about my ability to handle med school academically, I just don't know if I'll have the fortitude to want to see it through, especially in third year when the hours are so much worse. If I knew that I could be in a different job eight years from now making, say, $100k, I don't think I would feel badly about not being a doctor.

I guess I'm here posting because I'm afraid that these doubts might be within normal limits, and I don't want to have regrets down the road because I gave up something that I would have actually enjoyed. On the other hand, I don't want to get deep into debt ($60k/year) going back only to find out that medicine really wasn't for me. Any constructive advice about how I might make this decision, and perhaps overcome my anxiety about returning, would be eternally appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Just become a psychiatrist. It's a great gig for those doctors who don't really want to be doctors.

This is simple: do you think you will be happy as a doctor?

If you are not happy now, will you be happy when you are a doctor?

If you are not enthusiastic now, will you be enthusiastic later?

If the answers to the above are no: then there's no point in going back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I felt completely out of place in medical school, not because I was older than the other students in my class, but because they all were so much more enthusiastic about medicine than me.
I think this is normal in the beginning. People are excited, they worked really hard to get in, and all is good in the world. However, medical school is a draining process. I think almost everyone will end up loosing a bit of that enthusiasm. I saw the talk ZDoggMD gave at TEDMED and he quoted some statistics saying something like 70% of doctors wouldn't do medicine again. And these are the people that already have the job security and the income. I imagine that for students/residents it can be even higher.

I am typically a very fast reader, but with my med school textbooks I was able to read only four or five pages an hour, and even then I couldn't have told you right afterward what I had just read.
Again, perfectly normal. The material is really dense, and in M1 is mostly useless to what you'll need as a professional (honourable exception: Physio. Coolest thing ever)

I think your doubts are really natural. I have them. I think about quitting almost every day. Is this really worth it? I don't know. That is what keeps me going. It would suck spending my life wondering "what if". So I say stick it out. Even if you decide medicine isn't for you, the MD/DO will open some doors outside of it. Know that you're not alone. I bet that a lot of your classmates have these exact same doubts. I would even say that most of the posters of SDN (that rarified super elite place where a 250 is a low STEP score) have thought about this too. Give it another shot.

It sounds like you weren't using good study techniques, which may be part of your problem. "going to class" and "reading the textbooks" is something people should NEVER do.

Don't worry about gung ho people. Wankers in my class wanted to play doctor at the free clinic from day 1. I dunno where they are coming from. I think medicine is an interesting and rewarding career, but I had no desire to play pretend doctor for the indigent as a first year.

The experience in the first 2 years is not what being a doctor is all about. You should shadow and make sure you love doing the job of medicine. If you prefer management, go back to that.

Not sure where to begin with my story... I'll try to keep this short. No promises though.

I am angry with myself that I don't feel enthusiastic about returning to medical school. Everyone I know is constantly telling me what a privilege and a gift it is to have the chance to become a doctor. On these boards I always read, "you shouldn't become a physician unless you can't imagine doing anything else," and while every doctor I've spoken to thinks that's a bit of an exaggeration, I do agree that medical school and residency are huge commitments requiring a lot of sacrifice. I don't see medicine as a calling, but as a job, and while I have no doubts about my ability to handle med school academically, I just don't know if I'll have the fortitude to want to see it through, especially in third year when the hours are so much worse. If I knew that I could be in a different job eight years from now making, say, $100k, I don't think I would feel badly about not being a doctor.

I guess I'm here posting because I'm afraid that these doubts might be within normal limits, and I don't want to have regrets down the road because I gave up something that I would have actually enjoyed. On the other hand, I don't want to get deep into debt ($60k/year) going back only to find out that medicine really wasn't for me. Any constructive advice about how I might make this decision, and perhaps overcome my anxiety about returning, would be eternally appreciated.

Hey OP, as a non-trad, I can relate to having a few "WTF?!" moments when you realize you're kissing your paycheck and cushy lifestyle goodbye. For me, though, those moments quickly fall by the wayside when I realize that I am finally doing what I've always wanted to do. I don't mean this in an uppity way, but if medicine seems like a "job, not a calling," I can't help but think you might really be hating life (and building resentment) during those tough hours of residency or when you inevitably get called away from a family occasion, etc. Not to say anybody enjoys that stuff, but if you go in with the attitude that it's a small price to pay for getting to do what you've always wanted to, you can probably deal with it. If you're not so sure it's what you want to be doing in the first place, I would imagine that negative feelings will eventually build up to a critical mass that will prevent you from fulfilling your true potential.

If it were merely a lifestyle issue, I'd say just make sure you get a cushy deal (i.e. work at Kaiser, do psych or shoot for a ROAD specialty.) However, I sense it's a bit deeper than that. The preclinical years suck for most people who are used to the workplace, but I would say if you don't feel yourself getting excited about learning how to apply the material, that might be a red flag. You might want to consider doing some shadowing in the specialties you've found appealing at some point, and see if any of them light a fire in you.

You're clearly smart enough to jump through all the hoops, but I think we all owe it to ourselves to use our intelligence in a way we thoroughly enjoy. Otherwise, you risk letting resentment keep you from reaching your true potential, and who wants that?

Also, I'd suggest you take a look at your life in general: During your time in medschool and your LOA, did other aspects of your life suffer? Did you withdraw from family/friends and activities you usually enjoy? Obviously, what I'm getting at is, were you depressed? If so, that might be the reason for some of your feelings. If you were/are truly otherwise fine, but still shuddering at the thought of medschool, I think you owe yourself more time. You may not have the option of pulling out and returning again, so take your time here. Good luck.

Thanks for the well-thought out post. It's good to hear from another nontrad that these feelings are normal; the only other student in my situation (older than average, leaving an established career in another field) never admitted to them. Who knows, maybe he really never had those moments of doubt.

I can't help but think you might really be hating life (and building resentment) during those tough hours of residency or when you inevitably get called away from a family occasion, etc. Not to say anybody enjoys that stuff, but if you go in with the attitude that it's a small price to pay for getting to do what you've always wanted to, you can probably deal with it. If you're not so sure it's what you want to be doing in the first place, I would imagine that negative feelings will eventually build up to a critical mass that will prevent you from fulfilling your true potential.

Hating life and building resentment are exactly what I expect, to be completely honest. Even before school started I was already dreading the idea of third year and intern year. I talked to a couple of third years at my school and none could understand it, they said I should be looking forward to it as a chance to apply what's learned the first two years. The logical part of me completely agrees with that, of course. I'm just not sure if the prize on the other side is worth the torture of slogging through.

have you seen a psychiatrist?

could be depression

no matter what you do you feel the sense of dread and are unhappy

have you seen a psychiatrist?

could be depression

no matter what you do you feel the sense of dread and are unhappy

Yes, I've seen a psychiatrist, and no, I'm not clinically depressed. I don't feel unhappy all the time, far from it. I do think that I could correlate my bad days pretty strongly with amount of time spent thinking about going back.

One other noteworthy point: OP, you didn't specify if you have a family yet, but as someone who does (and feels totally invested in medicine) having time taken away from your kids flat out sucks. Admittedly, there are times when "saving lives, making the world a better place, etc." just isn't enough to make up for this. I say this as a pre-clinical med student, but also someone who spent a large part if my previous career attached to a pager as a forensic examiner. I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, but I can't help but wonder if having a family, and having to miss out on them to some extent, might be the straw that breaks the camel's back for you. I'd raise an eyebrow at anyone who says all the kid-related stuff they've missed didn't cause them some anger or regret. It's eventually being able to look at the larger picture and be satisfied with it that makes it bearable.

Typical med students. Did no one read OP's post? The answer is clear: don't go back. Listen to your SO. You're only trying to convince yourself to do something you don't want to do.

Two years into undergrad I decided I wanted to try for admission to medical school. I have always had an interest in neuroscience and psychology, and decided that medicine would be a good way to explore those fields while also providing good job security, mobility, and a decent income. I have never been the stereotypical "starry-eyed premed" with a lifelong passion for medicine; I would say that I have never had a true passion for medicine, though I find some of the science quite interesting and always did well in my prereqs. I should mention at this point that I started college at 25, so I was certainly a nontraditional applicant. I loved being a student again and was actually excited at the prospect of four more years of school after college.

At first I really didn't expect that I would get in, because I had come to this decision so late in the game and had many hurdles to overcome. Once I began the application process, it was so all-consuming (I was working 50 hours per week in addition to full-time classes during the application process) that I never took the time to seriously think about my decision again. Last year I was accepted to three schools and chose the one that I thought would challenge me the most, figuring it would make me a better doctor in the end.

The very first day of classes I came home and said to my SO, "I think I've made a huge mistake." I felt completely out of place in medical school, not because I was older than the other students in my class, but because they all were so much more enthusiastic about medicine than me. As the weeks went by, I just couldn't shake that sense of wrongness, and though I continued to do well in classes and made some great friends, it became harder and harder to focus. I am typically a very fast reader, but with my med school textbooks I was able to read only four or five pages an hour, and even then I couldn't have told you right afterward what I had just read. I would come home from classes every single day and google "dropping out of medical school" before I studied, because only when I thought about leaving did I feel any kind of peace. I missed the life I had left behind terribly -- I had a management job before I left for med school, and I had genuinely enjoyed going to work every morning.

Finally I gave up and took a leave of absence. I moved back home, felt ashamed for leaving med school, and frankly wasted the past half a year telling myself that I needed to stay miserable so I wouldn't miss my old life again when I returned to school. A few months ago I would have told you that I was definitely going to go back, but as the time has drawn closer, I have been feeling a growing sense of dread. I can't sleep unless I am so tired that I can't keep my eyes open. Classes start in less than a month and I haven't found a place to live for school yet or made any of the other arrangements I know I should be making. My SO is against going back because he says I don't really seem like I want this, and it's hard to be supportive if my heart isn't in it. I've seen a psychiatrist for the anxiety, who hasn't been a lot of help (quote: "I only became a doctor so I could come to America. Your reasons are better than mine, so if I can be happy in this job, so can you.").

you compare yourself to others in your OP. If your less-enthusiastic-by-comparison is a root of your detachment from medicine I would take a step back and reconsider just based on you. Don't worry about what other people think/do. I have always been the least visibly enthusiastic/motivated person, but those traits shine through my actions over time. In most of my jobs I have been the least enthusiastic person, yet the most competent. People sometimes confuse my calmness with complacency. After education and training your ability to focus will be valuable to you interactions with patients. I as a patient want someone calm rather than excited. think about what you can do for one person in the future and whether your old job has opportunities for advancement and challenge greater than what you would get as a doctor. I sometimes worry about what other people think and have to force myself avoid comparing myself to others. Just wear blinders and try not to worry about what others think.

Typical med students. Did no one read OP's post? The answer is clear: don't go back. Listen to your SO. You're only trying to convince yourself to do something you don't want to do.

+1 You dread medicine itself, it sounds like. Be glad youre only 1 year in when the epiphany came