UNCG Pre med post bac program ( reviews and advice)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mn91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have just applied to UNCG's pre med post bac program and I would like to hear some reviews from current / previous students . I also would like to know how competitive the program is, my undergrad gpa wasn't the highest but I was pretty active on campus and in the community. I'm looking to make my gpa more competitive as well as to be more prepared for the cats. Thanks for everyone's time!

Members don't see this ad.

The program is very informal, and you can pretty much structure it anyway you want depending on the classes you need. I don't think it's very competitive or hard to get in because you apply and enroll as a second-degree seeking student. You're basically in a pool with other students seeking their second undergrad degree in any field and not just people wanting to complete the postbac. Admission is on a rolling basis; I received my acceptance pretty quickly.

You will be assigned an advisor in your major, like all other undergrad students. I think I only met with mine to get a registration code for the spring semester, but I'm sure you can reach out to the pre-health advisors for help with planning your schedule and other questions related to the program. I'm assuming you meant MCAT when you said "be more prepared for the cats," but there is no test prep component that I am aware of.

Also, depending on how low your current GPA is and how many credits you take, you may need more than a year of the program since the grades received in this program will be averaged in with your undergrad GPA. It may not be a problem if you're aiming for DO schools with grade replacement.

I went to undergrad at UNCG, got a BS in Biology.

There were a few post-baccs in my classes. I don't think things have changed much in the last few years, except that Dr. Cannon (premed advisor) retired. I'd say upper level classes are fairly competitive. I didn't really see into/notice the competitiveness until I started taking invert biology, microbiology, biochemistry, and calculus (my last year and half). I know of one student who's now a med student at Wake Forest, and another one who went to a DO school. One of my undergrad classmates is also going to an MD school in virginia, and another just finished his first year of med school at UNC.

Overall I'd say UNCG will give you a good education. I know I studied hard, and it's paid off.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all,

I have just applied to UNCG's pre med post bac program and I would like to hear some reviews from current / previous students . I also would like to know how competitive the program is, my undergrad gpa wasn't the highest but I was pretty active on campus and in the community. I'm looking to make my gpa more competitive as well as to be more prepared for the cats. Thanks for everyone's time!
Hi, did you end up going to UNCG's post bacc? If so, how was the program for you?

Hi all, I will be attending UNCG's post bacc program starting in spring 18. Does anyone have any updates as to their situations within the program? Thanks in advance!

Hi all, I will be attending UNCG's post bacc program starting in spring 18. Does anyone have any updates as to their situations within the program? Thanks in advance!

I got an acceptance here starting in the summer session. Any one in the program or have been through the program who can give some perspective?

I'll be starting at UNCG in August '18 - very excited to get this post-bacc rolling!

Hi, I have a question about the program, are the courses in evening? Or it is full time program, the courses are also in daytime? Thanks

Hi! I’m starting pre dental post bacc this coming up week! Would anyone that is starting as well join together and figure this thing out?

I got an acceptance here starting in the summer session. Any one in the program or have been through the program who can give some perspective?

I just completed UNCG's postbac program this past summer. I would say form good relationships with the pre-med advisers early. If you're planning on adding extracurriculars figure out which ones and hit the ground running, otherwise you find out that you are constantly busy and haven't done much.
The post-bacc students definitely skew the curves especially for biochem and physics- Physics is really hard at UNCG, make the professor your best friend or do a consortium.
Overall I enjoyed my time here; the learning environment was great, lots of people ready to help you and so much opportunities to boost your applications. It's close to lots of hospitals where you can gain PT experience, and lots of things to do in the community as well.

PS: If you find yourself struggling academically seek SIP quickly!
-Good-luck!

I just completed UNCG's postbac program this past summer. I would say form good relationships with the pre-med advisers early. If you're planning on adding extracurriculars figure out which ones and hit the ground running, otherwise you find out that you are constantly busy and haven't done much.
The post-bacc students definitely skew the curves especially for biochem and physics- Physics is really hard at UNCG, make the professor your best friend or do a consortium.
Overall I enjoyed my time here; the learning environment was great, lots of people ready to help you and so much opportunities to boost your applications. It's close to lots of hospitals where you can gain PT experience, and lots of things to do in the community as well.

-Good-luck!

So were you able to get into a medical school?

-Good-luck!
I am curious too we’re you able to get into med school just fine?