SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Undecided 3rd Year MS interested in learning about Pathology. Recommend any rotations (From NY)

Discussion in 'Pathology' started by tmandudeguy, May 3, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. tmandudeguy

tmandudeguy 5+ Year Member

May 9, 2012
    Hey all!

So Im a 3rd year medical student. Im also a DO if that makes any difference. Ive been quite undecided all year but always thought in the back of my head that Id pursue Oncology. I've always had a passion for learning about about cancer biology and the novel immunotherapies coming out to treat them. However after an unexpected IM rotation Im a little more weary of going into medicine. I have an interest in Rads as well, but my brother who is a Pathologist is trying to encourage me to atleast try the field out and learn more about it. We have minimal histology exposure in our curriculum and Im just trying to read a bit on my own and hoping to do a rotation in it. Can anyone recommend any good experiences they had in any particular Pathology rotation that they think a student with minimal exposure like me can go in and see whether this is something I like or not? Places in the northeast would be preferable (Im from NY)

Thanks!

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jmarkant

jmarkant MEMBER 5+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Riverhead, NY
    Apply for an elective rotation through vsas, I'm a DO and rotated at montefiore in the Bronx.

4. tmandudeguy

May 9, 2012
    Right, but I was wondering if there were any particular away rotations you guys could reccomend for someone like me whose trying to decide whether this is something I want to pursue. Ive had like zero path exposure so far =/

5. pathslides

pathslides

Aug 7, 2016
    What do you mean particular away rotation? Pick a hospital in NY that takes visiting students and has a path residency program and ask to do a path rotation. Your "particular" rotation is a general surgical pathology rotation.

6. jmarkant

jmarkant MEMBER 5+ Year Member

Aug 31, 2012
    Riverhead, NY
    Agreed use the online website VSAS and apply to away general pathology rotations.

VSAS Home Page

7. tmandudeguy

May 9, 2012
    Thank you for the replies guys! I guess I'm being a little unclear as to what I mean by particular rotation. I know you use VSAS to do an away rotation in Pathology. What I was wondering was if there were any particular hospitals or rotations you did IN PATHOLOGY that you enjoyed. From personal experiences I've found that doing the a particular rotation such as IM at one program can be very different from doing IM at another program. So I just wanted to know if you had any good learning experiences at any particular pathology program.

8. Alteran

Alteran 7+ Year Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Border war zone
    The overwhelming majority of programs are only generally going to give you two options as a visiting medical student rotating in pathology: Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology. Over 90% of med students choose the AP rotation over the CP rotation. As to what happens on the AP rotation with respect to breadth of exposure, lectures, and case material is all program dependent. However, you will basically just be expected to show up, show/feign interest in the material at the scope, and try not to fall asleep at sign out. You may or not be expected to put together a brief presentation at the end of the rotation over something you found interesting during your time there. Larger programs may give you the option of spending more time in one subspeciality than another, but most medium size programs will just have you sit at the general sign out for your time there, see a couple of frozens, and get some exposure to grossing without actually doing the grossing.

The only CP rotation I would recommend a medical student do would be hemepath, though some departments consider hemepath an AP specialty. Any other CP specialty as a medical student would honestly be a waste of your time.

jmarkant and tmandudeguy like this.
  9. tmandudeguy

May 9, 2012
    Thank you this is very helpful! I do have a personal interest in heme path so maybe ill keep an eye out on that. Are there any particular programs youve had personal experiences with that you would recommend for rotations? I know alot of peers that use pathology as an "easy" rotation to not do anything in. But Id like to go in and meet people who are willing to teach someone genuinely interested in pursuing the field.

10. Mint-Berry Crunch

Mint-Berry Crunch SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2011
    You should definitely give pathology a chance. I knew I wanted to go into pathology before medical school and so I sought out as many rotations as I could in 3rd and 4th year. Learning about pathology and practicing pathology are quite different and getting first hand experience will really help you figure out if it is something you could see yourself doing. Even if you have limited exposure most places are quite understanding and if you show an interest in learning they will teach you (although it can be an extremely easy/ non educational experience if you don't put any effort into it and this certainly has been exploited by many). Being a DO does not matter, except that if you do decide to apply to pathology having USMLE steps 1 and 2 make it easier for the programs to compare you to our MD colleagues. I do not have that much rotational experience with programs in the northeast (from a large academic medical center in the general region), but I would suggest looking into some of the bigger named places as those will most likely give you the best overall exposure to pathology.

tmandudeguy likes this.
  11. tmandudeguy

May 9, 2012
    This is great advice, thanks! I appreciate the input. I havent taken Step 1, but Im looking to take Step 2 so that I have atleast one USMLE grade they can compare me with.

12. Mint-Berry Crunch

Mint-Berry Crunch SDN Bronze Donor Bronze Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Jul 27, 2011
    For pathology step 1 is more useful, just fyi.

13. tmandudeguy

May 9, 2012
    No You right... its just that I feel the time has passed for me to be able to take that exam. Have so much on my plate right now with 4th year approaching. Im hoping if I do really well on Step 2 they may atleast take a second look at me

Mint-Berry Crunch likes this.