Undecided about pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepymeko

I will survive
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so as of now in SoCal it is nearly impossible to get a gig to shadow or volunteer at a pharmacy. There's a waitlist, lots of paper work, you have to start off at a gift shop at a hospital, etc. As of now I'm not sure if I want to get into pharmacy. I don't want to take the required prerequisites and end up changing my mind. It seems like it is going to take me months in order to get a volunteer gig, and I kind of need to know right now if this is the job for me. And what's even worse, the pharmacies are telling me that they are not accepting volunteers because: liability,the fact that an untrained person is surrounded by drugs, etc. So the point is, how am I supposed to know that pharmacy is right for me when I can't even shadow anyone?! Reading reviews by people is OK I suppose, but all because someone likes something doesn't mean that I will. I've been googling for weeks on what it's like to be a pharmacist and most articles are just educational... I need actual opinions! The money is encouraging, but I would rather be happy than miserable.

What else can I possibly do? I need to put myself in the position when I am exposed to the ins and outs of what it's like to be a pharmacist. How can someone know what they want to do if they don't have the needed experience?

Are there any other websites that I should read?

Note: Also, can you travel to different countries if you finished a pharmacy program in the states? Traveling is one of my top priorities. The good thing about teaching is that I will be able to move out of the country and teach English if I decide to do so, which I probably will. Right now it's either teaching or pharmacy.

Members don't see this ad.

If you're not into it, don't force yourself. Pharmacy is not for everyone.

Plenty of other jobs out there, even ones that pay as much as pharmacy... If it doesn't feel right and you're not interested in it, don't do it and be miserable for the next 20 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Plenty of other jobs out there, even ones that pay as much as pharmacy... If it doesn't feel right and you're not interested in it, don't do it and be miserable for the next 20 years.

You're right. It seems like I'm only doing it for the money right now and I don't want to be that superficial... I don't want to live a lie and end upset, but then I wonder...

You're right. It seems like I'm only doing it for the money right now and I don't want to be that superficial... I don't want to live a lie and end upset, but then I wonder...

Well, if you ask anyone who is miserable doing what they do if they wish they could've done something different, they will almost always say yes.

Hindsight is 20/20, so ask people older than yourself if they're happy with the decisions they made and if not, what they'd do differently...

You are right about it being hard to find places that will hire or give you pharmacy experience. I HATE retail pharmacy, but I know NOTHING about hospital pharmacy. I know nothing about any other field of pharmacy except for retail. But it is hard getting into the other fields of pharmacy so it is hard to figure out if you really like them or not. I am already in pharmacy school, so I hope I do like them! :laugh:

OK, so as of now in SoCal it is nearly impossible to get a gig to shadow or volunteer at a pharmacy. There's a waitlist, lots of paper work, you have to start off at a gift shop at a hospital, etc. As of now I'm not sure if I want to get into pharmacy. I don't want to take the required prerequisites and end up changing my mind. It seems like it is going to take me months in order to get a volunteer gig, and I kind of need to know right now if this is the job for me. And what's even worse, the pharmacies are telling me that they are not accepting volunteers because: liability,the fact that an untrained person is surrounded by drugs, etc. So the point is, how am I supposed to know that pharmacy is right for me when I can't even shadow anyone?! Reading reviews by people is OK I suppose, but all because someone likes something doesn't mean that I will. I've been googling for weeks on what it's like to be a pharmacist and most articles are just educational... I need actual opinions! The money is encouraging, but I would rather be happy than miserable.

What else can I possibly do? I need to put myself in the position when I am exposed to the ins and outs of what it's like to be a pharmacist. How can someone know what they want to do if they don't have the needed experience?

Note: Also, can you travel to different countries if you finished a pharmacy program in the states? Traveling is one of my top priorities. The good thing about teaching is that I will be able to move out of the country and teach English if I decide to do so, which I probably will. Right now it's either teaching or pharmacy.

safe bet is to get in pharmacy technician program...there are some programs out there for only $2000 (it costs me that much)...you will have to go to school once a week and it'll last 6-7 months...and after that you'll have a sure spot in retail pharmacy or hospital pharmacy doing externship for about 100 hours (meaning u work without paid.)

The best way to get a feel for what a pharmacist does, you should work as a tech. Most places only hire certified pharmacy techs, but its really easy to get certified. Took me two weeks.

The best way to get a feel for what a pharmacist does, you should work as a tech. Most places only hire certified pharmacy techs, but its really easy to get certified. Took me two weeks.

Best Answer on my opinion. :thumbup:

If you know your job well, working as a pharmacist is probably not hard.
Working as a tech is hard whether you know your job or not.... :(

Just hang in there to see what it feels to be a pharmacist :thumbup:

If you are not sure you want to go into pharmacy, you can look into other jobs as well. Don't go into something you won't be happy with. I would recommend careers that you know for sure you would want and yes, pay is important, but it's not worth it if the work makes someone miserable. After taxes, you only see not much more than half of what you make (depending on where you live and your tax situation). One of my coworkers who is a new grad 2009 actually owed the IRS this year. So it's not exactly six figures that I end up seeing. Not by a long shot.

I chose pharmacy b/c I truly like what I do and went into it 100%. I go into work daily without any dread and it's nice.

If you are wanting to go into healthcare, there are many areas you can look into as well - RN, NP, PA, MD, DO, DDS, DVM, Optometry, etc.

Last edited:
don't limit yourself to only trying pharmacy like the above poster mentioned.

try them all for yourself (it only takes a week or two of observation and talking to those who do the work to know whether you'll enjoy it or not).

stop viewing everything from a $$$ mind-set also... at least to me 6-figures are 6-figures (everything else is just a cherry-on-top).

If you cant get a volunteer job, work as a tech. The certification is really easy if you are good at math. I studied for 3 to 5 days and passed. You just need to know math. I went in not knowing any brand/generic.

With that being said, you have two main options - work retail or work hospital. Hospital jobs are hard to come by, but they are the best IMO. Low stress environment and making IV's can be fun. I find a lot of people get turned off from pharmacy by working retail. It is very stressful, especially for the techs who have to deal with the customers moreso than the pharmacist. Keep that into consideration. If you work retail, try seeing it from the pharmacist perspective.

Dude you are not the only having a hard time finding experience in the pharmacy field. I am still in my second semester of college and I also have been trying to volunteer at the hospital and retail stores. I have all my paper work done (took me 3-4 months) I thought I could just volunteer at the hospital pharmacy but guess what? they told me they can't allow any volunteer at the pharmacy. Right now I am still looking around other retail stores. My advice to you is to not give up.

Dude you are not the only having a hard time finding experience in the pharmacy field. I am still in my second semester of college and I also have been trying to volunteer at the hospital and retail stores. I have all my paper work done (took me 3-4 months) I thought I could just volunteer at the hospital pharmacy but guess what? they told me they can't allow any volunteer at the pharmacy. Right now I am still looking around other retail stores. My advice to you is to not give up.

Just start off in another area of the hospital and work your way up.... being in the same shoes as everyone else, I'm setting myself up to get my CPhT cert. in the summer while continuously volunteering and showing that I truly want to be there. If you show the hospital your worth and that you actually show up on time I have no doubt they'd take you into the pharmacy setting w/in a few months.

If you can't volunteer, also remember you can always ask to "shadow".... look at indie stores, they're very willing to allow outsiders to come in and see how they work (at least in my case)

Since you're in SoCal, contact your local Red Cross office. They staff volunteers for hospitals on military bases. I had volunteered at Camp Pendleton's pharmacy and loved every minute of it. As far as travel ops, you could look into being a gov't employee on an overseas US military base, go to www.usajobs.gov and use the advanced search for international opportunities. I just looked and lots of great locations are hiring pharmacists, Japan, Italy... I can't forsee that changing much in 6 yrs. Good luck!

Last edited:
safe bet is to get in pharmacy technician program...there are some programs out there for only $2000 (it costs me that much)...you will have to go to school once a week and it'll last 6-7 months...and after that you'll have a sure spot in retail pharmacy or hospital pharmacy doing externship for about 100 hours (meaning u work without paid.)

doesn't have to cost $2000; i got away with just buying a PTCB prep book from Barnes and Nobles, studied for a few weeks, and just take the test; it's pass/fail and not too difficult at all;

So should I volunteer at any area of the hospital and HOPE that they will someday take me in as a volunteer at the pharmacy?. Or should I just start studying to become a tech?

doesn't have to cost $2000; i got away with just buying a PTCB prep book from Barnes and Nobles, studied for a few weeks, and just take the test; it's pass/fail and not too difficult at all;

I did the same thing - studied on my own and passed the test. I'm finding that no one will hire w/out one year of full-time experience. For now I'm volunteering, but only a few hrs/wk, b/c my school schedule & family keep me busy, but next year I'd like to work as a tech. Any thoughts on getting hired, if you don't take a course, which many companies will accept in place of 1 yr experience?

I don't know. I've worked in a number of different areas (marketing, legal field) and I know I'm making a conscious commitment to this field. I know a lot of people who go straight through feel like the grass is greener on the other side. Some of the people who leave whatever they've gotten used to thinking about doing start hyping themselves by claiming they are all very passionate about what they do because in the US, for you to do anything, you have to prove how much you love it.

I think pharmacy offers a lot of great opportunities.