Undecided over major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CashRag33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in a community college for one year already. Currently, I just decided I want to become a physician. But I haven't taken any science classes, so if I start taking science classes now, I will have to take from general chemistry all the way to organic chemistry at least the first one and along with all the other sciences in order to transfer to a university like UCI, UC SAN DIEGO, UC SANTA CRUZ, because they required you to take all that sciences before transfering if you are a biology major since biology major don't follow IGETC route.That will take me approximately two to three more years depending on how many units I am willing to take.

But if I take major in something that is not biology, then I can take general chemistry, and then transfer, and finish the rest of the sciences at the university which I can transfer in like next year. So far I am thinking economics, because it is a good major to get a job if medical school fails, and also the salary is quite good. But I don't know if I am really into economics.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I can help you. I was a biochem / econ double major. I think that you will learn quickly that econ does not mean business. With an econ major you will learn a lot of theory (which for the most part isn't useful in running a business). So if you are going into econ for a "good job" maybe you want to reconsider because it is a lot of math and A LOT of theory.

Secondly, if you want to go to medical school you will (for the most part) have to take general chemistry (1 year) , Organic Chemistry (1 year) , Biology (1 year) , Physics (1 year), Math (1 year) , and English (1 year). So taking that first semester of Orgo helps in the application process. So think of it as making your university time easier when you are there.

I think I can help you. I was a biochem / econ double major. I think that you will learn quickly that econ does not mean business. With an econ major you will learn a lot of theory (which for the most part isn't useful in running a business). So if you are going into econ for a "good job" maybe you want to reconsider because it is a lot of math and A LOT of theory.

Secondly, if you want to go to medical school you will (for the most part) have to take general chemistry (1 year) , Organic Chemistry (1 year) , Biology (1 year) , Physics (1 year), Math (1 year) , and English (1 year). So taking that first semester of Orgo helps in the application process. So think of it as making your university time easier when you are there.

I am thinking of majoring in philosophy or psychology other than economics, maybe that is a better choice? But yeah I really wanna major in biology since it has everything that is required for prerequisites, I am just really stressed on the fact that take all the classes for the major before I can transfer and that means staying for another 2 years.