Undecided

tesfawMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am currently a senior in high school about to graduate in a few days, and I still haven't decided if I want to pursue a career as a pharmacist or a medical doctor. So, my question to you guys: how can I keep my options open when entering college? Are the prerequisites for the two fields similar or different?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Yes the prereqs are pretty similar. At OU (where I go) pre-meds and pre-pharms take through o-chem 2, and various biology courses. You shouldn't really need to make a choice between the two until sophomore year, or later depending wether or not your major covers the requirements.

Yes the prereqs are pretty similar. At OU (where I go) pre-meds and pre-pharms take through o-chem 2, and various biology courses. You shouldn't really need to make a choice between the two until sophomore year, or later depending wether or not your major covers the requirements.

But, I forgot to mention that I have taken a good amount of community college courses that fulfill prerequisites for a biology major. Is that okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
But, I forgot to mention that I have taken a good amount of community college courses that fulfill prerequisites for a biology major. Is that okay?

Well, it is ok I suppose. How many classes did you take at the CC? If it is just intro, then that sounds fine. But, if took all your classes for your major there, then it may seem like you are taking the easy route. My suggestion would be to take additional science classes at your future university to show the admissions committee that you can handle science classes.

The only thing I would really worry about is when you finally enter college. If you start out with some upper level science class and you weren't prepared like the rest of the students that are use to the rigor, then your GPA may potentially crash. Then again, it really depends on your university. I would definitely talk to some students and look at the course work and maybe some past exams.

Other than that, I would just keep taking the classes necessary for both, especially since they are both similar. That way you are more flexible when you graduate (if you still haven't decided what you really want to do). You will eventually find out what you want to do, especially in college. :)

Well, it is ok I suppose. How many classes did you take at the CC? If it is just intro, then that sounds fine. But, if took all your classes for your major there, then it may seem like you are taking the easy route. My suggestion would be to take additional science classes at your future university to show the admissions committee that you can handle science classes.

The only thing I would really worry about is when you finally enter college. If you start out with some upper level science class and you weren't prepared like the rest of the students that are use to the rigor, then your GPA may potentially crash. Then again, it really depends on your university. I would definitely talk to some students and look at the course work and maybe some past exams.

Other than that, I would just keep taking the classes necessary for both, especially since they are both similar. That way you are more flexible when you graduate (if you still haven't decided what you really want to do). You will eventually find out what you want to do, especially in college. :)

I have taken two general chem courses, two calculus courses, and will be taking a 3 course biology sequence. All of the classes I take, and will take are the required courses to transfer to a UC. Your scaring me :scared: when you talk about the "rigor" of university courses, is there a big difference between taking general courses at a CC compared to a university? Aren't we learning the same thing?

I have taken two general chem courses, two calculus courses, and will be taking a 3 course biology sequence. All of the classes I take, and will take are the required courses to transfer to a UC. Your scaring me :scared: when you talk about the "rigor" of university courses, is there a big difference between taking general courses at a CC compared to a university? Aren't we learning the same thing?

Oh I am sorry. I don't intend to scare you. I am just giving you a heads up that most universities attract the more rigorous (not a bad thing) professors. Their job is to get you ready to be a successful worker, when you graduate. In the end, you should acquire discipline, persistence, resilience, etc. This is all to make you a better worker and person. You should expect them to challenge you beyond your limits, because our society has little tolerance for mistakes in the workforce.

Don't worry so much about what will happen in the future. You will be a freshman and you will soon be able to find out for yourself. Just focus on your transition when you enter the university. Good luck!

Don't stress about having taken your pre-reqs at a CC, I took just about all of mine at my CC (go go Cypress College!), and then I transferred to UCI and did well in my upper division classes, and that proved to the schools I was applying to that I could hack it at the university level. Ironically, I found many of my CC classes more challenging and rigorous than my UC ones, and the teaching quality to be far superior for the most part at the CC.

Back to your original question - you've got plenty of time, don't stress. If you really want to know about a profession, you need to go and shadow, that will give you a much better perspective, and it is really easy to do, you just need to ask around. Also, consider dental! :D All health professions have the same pre-reqs (more or less), and if you're uncertain about what health profession to enter, you should consider all of your options. I'd suggest shadowing a general dentist, a pharm, and a GP and see which you could imagine yourself enjoying for the rest of your life, because that's the real question.

Well, good luck, and be sure to take your time.