under the table job amcas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CJHawaii

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i used to work at a karaoke bar working overnight 3-4 times a week for about six months.
i, at least, believe that i've gained quite an experience from this job and it explains why my gpa wasn't so good during that certain semester.
yet, i'm confused on whether putting this on amcas work/activities or not because the pay i took home was just tips (~$200) a night. there is no regular pay, all the "employees" just took tips because it was quite a cash and the boss never had to officially pay us for working. Now, is this considered an under the table job?
if it is, should i even list it?
i'm just wondering if adcoms actually checks all our work/activities by contacting our contacts, or maybe compare to the applicant's tax forms? see if he/she really worked during a certain time?

an in-depth advice would be greatly appreciated.
thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a legal resident of the United States to work?

How did you get the job? Don't the restaurants pay people hourly?

Personally, I would skip it. Do you really think having worked in a karoke bar will add anything to an application for medical school? Also, do you really think your decision to spend 3-4 nights working in a karoke bar will be viewed as an acceptable excuse for poor academic performance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you pay taxes, file a return, etc?

If not, why would you put down an illegal act? Stupid...

How the hell would anybody in this process be able to "match" your work record to your tax returns?

Not a good excuse for poor academic performance, either.

Personally, I would skip it. Do you really think having worked in a karoke bar will add anything to an application for medical school? Also, do you really think your decision to spend 3-4 nights working in a karoke bar will be viewed as an acceptable excuse for poor academic performance?

Man.... AMCAS doesn't check up on anything. Include it. The activity sounds hot and you'll probably talk about it during your interviews.

People don't realize that they are not going to check up on anything...Just put whatever you want to your heart's content. You can put that you discovered some type of drug and they won't be able to check up on it unless the are in the field and try to find the actual drugmaker.

I saw a topic on this earlier, and an adcom member stopped in to say that even though most schools don't check, his did have a person who's only job was to check up on all of the admitted students.

yes i am a legal u.s. citizen.
i worked at such a place because my family's financial status was tight and i thought the money was good.
i am considered economically disadvantaged.

Man.... AMCAS doesn't check up on anything. Include it. The activity sounds hot and you'll probably talk about it during your interviews.

People don't realize that they are not going to check up on anything...Just put whatever you want to your heart's content. You can put that you discovered some type of drug and they won't be able to check up on it unless the are in the field and try to find the actual drugmaker.
they probably will not, but won't adcoms will?

I don't know how they'd get your tax return but my guess is that the extent of the checking up would be calling your employer and saying "they work for you?"

It's illegal after all right? Prob better to skip it

I agree.

OP, it does sound flimsy to say that you didn't do well in school because you were working in a karaoke bar. Not that you have to lie if someone asks you at an interview why you didn't do well that semester, but I wouldn't exactly go out of my way to emphasize it to adcoms.

Also, as a general rule, it is never a good idea to attest to having stiffed the IRS on a document and then sign your name swearing that everything on it is true. Part of a good learning experience includes learning when not to discuss your learning experience. The IRS is about as friendly and forgiving as the mafia, and unlike the mafia, their ability to come after you and make you pay up what you owe them is legal.

why not just call it volunteer work?