Undergrad Anatomy/Physiology & Histology Necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gubster

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does not taking A&P and/or Histology in undergrad put a D1 at a disadvantage? I have a strong science background (microbio major), did exceptional on the DAT biology section (24), but have never taken an undergraduate A&P course, and I have also never taken histology.

Members don't see this ad.

As expected, prior exposure to any subject that will be taught in dental school will provide an advantage over not having taken the course. However there are many individuals who do not take these courses and do just fine.

Reactions: 1 user
It's helpful, but far from necessary to do well. I wouldn't say it puts you at a significant disadvantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome, I plan to do independent studying and may even take a community college course because gap years are boring haha. Thank you both!

Well some schools require a year of Anatomy and Physiology (UNLV and OHSU come to mind). So, if you plan to apply to those school, make sure you take it!

yea a lot of schools are requiring anatomy and physiology. it is extremely helpful unless you are a bright student and can pick up on things quickly. i really recommend everyone to take these since they lay a basic knowledge foundation.

I did not apply to any schools that required A&P, I simply want to be as prepared as possible.