Undergrad complete with no prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roxxy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to get some feedback on my course of plan.

I recently realized that I would like to pursue medicine.

I am one term away from finishing off my undergrad (4 courses left).
But, I haven't taken any of required med school science prereqs. I have the humanties/social sci prereqs.

So, I was planning on finishing of my undergrad this fall.
And, next spring, taking required prereq courses in another university (an easier one, preferably). The only reason for the other school is that I don't want to take the chance of risking my GPA will science courses.
I would be taking the courses as a non-degree student or a continuing education student.

I realize that part II of most prereqs courses would be offered in the spring term, and I'm not sure, if I can take that without taking the first parts. Initially, i was planning on taking the part I in the summer of next year.

Is this a smart move? I'm afraid that I might not get into my courses since first dibs go to degree students. Also, would med schools look at it unfavourably if I take prereqs at another school that isn't my undergrad institution?

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

As long as your undergrad pre-reqs come from an accredited university or college I do not think it matters. Also as long as you sign up as soon as possible for your pre-req courses they should be available to you. Check your specific course sign up dates, and hop on there as soon as you can. Also I would check to see if there is online enrollment that starts before on-campus enrollment.

Last edited:
I just wanted to get some feedback on my course of plan.

I recently realized that I would like to pursue medicine.

I am one term away from finishing off my undergrad (4 courses left).
But, I haven't taken any of required med school science prereqs. I have the humanties/social sci prereqs.

So, I was planning on finishing of my undergrad this fall.
And, next spring, taking required prereq courses in another university (an easier one, preferably). The only reason for the other school is that I don't want to take the chance of risking my GPA will science courses.
I would be taking the courses as a non-degree student or a continuing education student.

I realize that part II of most prereqs courses would be offered in the spring term, and I'm not sure, if I can take that without taking the first parts. Initially, i was planning on taking the part I in the summer of next year.

Is this a smart move? I'm afraid that I might not get into my courses since first dibs go to degree students. Also, would med schools look at it unfavourably if I take prereqs at another school that isn't my undergrad institution?

Thanks for any input.
Considering that you have no science GPA as of this moment, your performance in science classes (and on the science sections of the MCAT) will be very important. It's understandable then that you'd want to maximize your chances of getting As by taking "easier" classes. That being said, I wouldn't go off and do something like take the prereqs online (or even at a community college). You ideally should take them at a brick-and-mortar, accredited college or university, as you are planning.

As for which university to take them at, you should go to the one where you think you can perform the best in the classes, and also where you think the classes will give you a good foundation to allow you to prepare properly for the MCAT. I would be careful about assuming that taking classes at an "easier" school will necessarily translate into an easier time getting As. In addition, easy As will be of only limited help if you don't learn much in class and aren't well prepared to take the MCAT. If it were me doing a post-bac, I'd be thinking more about going to a *cheaper* four year school (probably one of my state Us), not an easier one.

P.S. You might be able to register as a degree student, and then just drop out without completing the degree after you finish the prereqs. Look into this, because it will make your class scheduling a lot easier.