undergrad completed outside US a problem?

Started by bigfoot
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

bigfoot

Junior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My heart sank when I read in the Nontraditional forum that many medical schools will not even consider applicants who completed undergrad work outside the US. As if my low GPA is not a big enough cross to carry, here's another. 🙁

I earned my degree in the Philippines 5 years ago. My major was Math. I have not taken any of the prerequisite BCP courses. I plan to quit my job this Fall, study fulltime in the informal postbac premed program at SFSU, complete the prereqs in 2 years, take the MCAT, then apply to allopathic medical schools.

Is anybody in this forum in a similar situation? Have you tried talking to anyone in med school admissions offices to find out what they think about your non-US degree? Will my non-US undergrad matter even if I am taking all the prereqs here?
 
bigfoot said:
My heart sank when I read in the Nontraditional forum that many medical schools will not even consider applicants who completed undergrad work outside the US. As if my low GPA is not a big enough cross to carry, here's another. 🙁

I?
I'm in the same boat with you.. as far as i know, they will take it into consideration as long as you have one full year study in usa, and premed counts... And i do know someone just graduated from med school with her undergrate from foreign country.... Hopefully you do feel better now.
 
Thanks, yvonne10.
I hope we can PM/chat sometime. It's great to finally meet a kindred.
 
bigfoot said:
Thanks, yvonne10.
I hope we can PM/chat sometime. It's great to finally meet a kindred.
sure, i'm planning to take course through open university in sdsu...
good luck