thr1932359

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2018
Hello SDN,

I've gone through the FAQs to see if I could find anything related to this situation but haven't found anything particularly specific.

I'm currently a sophomore undergraduate considering taking a leave of absence from school to do research and volunteering full-time after this school year (with most time being spent on research). The reason I am considering this is because I am on track to graduate in 3 years from a combination of AP / dual enrollment credits from high school, but would like to apply to enter an MSTP program in 2023 (so I'd apply Summer 2022).

My thinking is that while I could graduate in May 2022, I'd rather take the 2021-2022 school year (or part of it) to maximize the amount of time I have to do research and gain volunteering experience before I apply, and graduate in May 2023 instead.

Some context: >3.9 cGPA and sGPA as an engineering major at a T20, have finished all pre-health prerequisite courses and am planning to take the MCAT this Spring. I have been doing well on practice materials (including FLs) so far. I have some teaching assistant / grading experience for engineering classes at my university, and started undergraduate research this past semester working on a project that I will continue working on this upcoming Summer. I will have 90 semester units under my belt (not including AP credit) by the end of this semester, so I think I won't have to worry about being screened out for not having sufficient class units by application time should I choose to take an LOA.

The one thing stopping me from considering this further is that I have heard LOAs for non-medical / emergency situations in undergrad are greatly frowned upon. As a result, I am considering other options, including taking lighter course-loads in upcoming semesters and taking the full 4 years to complete the degree. However, that would cost an additional year of tuition + room & board, and I'm not sure if it'd be particularly different if the plan is to take easy classes and focus on gaining experiences anyways. I'm also considering taking an LOA for a shorter period of time than originally proposed (i.e. only leaving for 1 semester).

Any information or advice is greatly appreciated from those with experience being in (or dealing with) these situations, and sorry if this post comes off as a particularly stupid question. Thanks all!

reveries

7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. MD/PhD Student
Is there any reason you can't just graduate and then spend a year as a research technician?

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

thr1932359

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2018
Is there any reason you can't just graduate and then spend a year as a research technician?
I would prefer not to take more than 4 years total (I would be applying "straight through"), which is why my thinking is to take a year to prioritize getting as much research experience as I can by the time of application (along with volunteering experience), since taking classes could take up a good chunk of time and reduce the amount of time spent in lab.

It'd essentially be swapping the places of year as a research tech and my final year of school so that it's year 1 --> year 2 --> research tech yr (apply Summer 2022) --> year 3, instead of year 1 --> year 2 --> year 3 (apply Summer 2022)--> research tech yr.

I do think that I could have a competitive amount of research experience by the time I apply if I were to go with the setup you proposed, but if I could take an LOA without running into issues, I think I would prefer to do that. Again, this goes back to my original concern as to whether non-medical / emergency reasons for taking an LOA are heavily frowned upon, even if the time period of the LOA is used in a productive manner. If that is the case, then I won't give this idea any more time of day. Thanks for your input though!

Sep 8, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I’m just a current applicant but I think your LOA plan makes a lot of sense. A lot of the secondary apps will ask if you took any time off school and give you a space to explain why, and I think your explanation is very solid. A gap year is certainly the much more common option, but an LOA sounds like it makes the most sense for you.

thr1932359

2+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2018
I’m just a current applicant but I think your LOA plan makes a lot of sense. A lot of the secondary apps will ask if you took any time off school and give you a space to explain why, and I think your explanation is very solid. A gap year is certainly the much more common option, but an LOA sounds like it makes the most sense for you.
Thanks for your input! I am definitely leaning towards it and plan to use it productively (my PI is also open to the idea), but I'm still worried it's going to look like a random hole in my transcript with no good reason to exist. That being said, your thoughts do put me at ease. So I guess this also serves as a bump if anyone else has any input...

Last edited:
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.