Undergrad Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turk00

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be a junior next year and was wondering if you guys thought it would be a better idea to load up on science courses to boost the Science GPA up or to take a few more liberal arts courses to show well-roundedness? Which is preferred?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't take more then 2 sciences. My motto is "don't risk messing it up and blowing med school" i'm going to try and keep my entire schedule well rounded.

it depends on a lot of things..your major, how much of your major requirement you've completed, how many pre-med requirements you've completed, random requirements some med schools have in regards to statistics/biochem/english, etc etc. two sciences is an ok number, but don't forget things like labs and stuff. liberal arts courses are always good. you've gotta find that balance, and judging by the fact that you're going into your 3rd year, you know more than anyone else what you can handle and what you can't.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should take whatever classes you'd like to take. If you stick with the classes that you like, you are more likely to do well in them (and have a higher GPA), and you are more likely to actually learn something from them. Med schools adcoms could go either way. Non-science majors do have a slightly higher acceptance rate, but that's probably just because there are so many more science majors and people choose science majors as default. If you are looking for classes that *might* help you during yr 1-2, biochem, cell bio, anatomy, physio are all wonderful classes to have under your belt but it's not necessary to take these classes to succeed in yr 1-2. Studies have shown that non-science majors do as well as science majors in the first 2 yrs of med school.

Originally posted by Doctora Foxy
take biochem

hindsights 20/20 huh? ;) :p :laugh: