Undergrad deciding between Pathology or Radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Largeman57

Reaction score
Good morning, I'm a third year undergrad Premed Biology student at the moment. I'm interested in going into either Pathology or Radiology. I know I'm still a very long ways off but it helps having a rough idea of what field I want to go into for interviews and stuff.

Originally I was dead set on Radiology because of my interest in computers and technology, it combines my two interests of medicine and technology into one field, but I don't want to rule out pathology yet. Reason is, I find histology a bit more interesting than anatomy, and I have heard Radiology is one of the worst fields to go into in terms of lifestyle choice because of the volume of scans their expected to process (I've also heard the call is brutal). I'm also a bit afraid AI will replace much of the work Radiologists will do in the future.

How does Pathology compare? Is it better as a lifestyle field? Is the call less terrible?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't decide yet. Get into medical school first, then past your first year. Then decide.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't decide yet. Get into medical school first, then past your first year. Then decide.
I'm not super familiar with the med school curriculum yet, but you're supposed to through different rotations where you're exposed to all the different fields, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good morning, I'm a third year undergrad Premed Biology student at the moment. I'm interested in going into either Pathology or Radiology. I know I'm still a very long ways off but it helps having a rough idea of what field I want to go into for interviews and stuff.

Originally I was dead set on Radiology because of my interest in computers and technology, it combines my two interests of medicine and technology into one field, but I don't want to rule out pathology yet. Reason is, I find histology a bit more interesting than anatomy, and I have heard Radiology is one of the worst fields to go into in terms of lifestyle choice because of the volume of scans their expected to process (I've also heard the call is brutal). I'm also a bit afraid AI will replace much of the work Radiologists will do in the future.

How does Pathology compare? Is it better as a lifestyle field? Is the call less terrible?

Thank you.

In terms of call they are both pretty much the same: minimal. Most private rads groups are using nighthawk style coverage right now which means zero call really, they cover it by telerads in Australia (day when it is our night).

In terms of raw hours, rads is more. Average day, I get in the same time as my rads folks around 8-9am but leave by 4-5 and they are here until 5-7. I would guess, very roughly, they work on average 5 hours more per weekDAY. I do basically nothing on the weekends aside from side hustle businesses I do, rads rotate a guy for interventional coverage coming out to another 2 hours averaged per week. So in the end, they are doing 7 or so average hours more than me. Not sure if 7 hours is material to you, but to me that is.

Income is basically equivalent between us or I am ahead of them by a bit. At my encouraging, they wrapped up some very nice referral contract work some years ago and came back into my income range. There was a short period of time though I was way ahead. I would guess on average though, rads is ahead of path by 15% nationally in income (but again also on hours nationally as well).

Residency is pretty much the same to be honest, although there are some path residency programs that are pure cusssshhh I wouldnt go there as the training is poor.

Rads is much more competitive of a specialty to match into. I would guess 2x or more competitive. Path used to be essentially non-competitive.

Rads is vastly cooler if you are a single guy (or even gal I imagine). You will have vastly more quality relationship/mating options, be invited to better social circles and generally have more street cred than path in general. Rad techs are really the equivalent of nurses/PAs for surgeons and provide a constant halo of younger folks to associate with. Path is a cave. We dont have the equivalent of rad techs/nurses/PAs to associate with and our main ancillary histotechs work at night when we are asleep making all our slides.

As dumb as it sounds, it actually matters: Radiology as a word has better connotation in English than Pathology. Pathology has almost exclusively negative connotation and the word itself is derived the greek Pathos meaning suffering. This will have a near constant subconscious affect, whether you admit it or not, on the "Id" portion of a psyche which will then manifest in unpredictable ways to the ego and superego. This indicates that pathologists as a group likely grapple far more with mental illness/substance abuse/self worth issues than radiologists although I cant point to a real data set to prove this.

You will have more fellow rads in pretty much any setting than fellow paths. Radiologists staff at almost a 2-3:1 ratio to Pathologists.

there you go.

In terms of call they are both pretty much the same: minimal. Most private rads groups are using nighthawk style coverage right now which means zero call really, they cover it by telerads in Australia (day when it is our night).

In terms of raw hours, rads is more. Average day, I get in the same time as my rads folks around 8-9am but leave by 4-5 and they are here until 5-7. I would guess, very roughly, they work on average 5 hours more per weekDAY. I do basically nothing on the weekends aside from side hustle businesses I do, rads rotate a guy for interventional coverage coming out to another 2 hours averaged per week. So in the end, they are doing 7 or so average hours more than me. Not sure if 7 hours is material to you, but to me that is.

Income is basically equivalent between us or I am ahead of them by a bit. At my encouraging, they wrapped up some very nice referral contract work some years ago and came back into my income range. There was a short period of time though I was way ahead. I would guess on average though, rads is ahead of path by 15% nationally in income (but again also on hours nationally as well).

Residency is pretty much the same to be honest, although there are some path residency programs that are pure cusssshhh I wouldnt go there as the training is poor.

Rads is much more competitive of a specialty to match into. I would guess 2x or more competitive. Path used to be essentially non-competitive.

Rads is vastly cooler if you are a single guy (or even gal I imagine). You will have vastly more quality relationship/mating options, be invited to better social circles and generally have more street cred than path in general. Rad techs are really the equivalent of nurses/PAs for surgeons and provide a constant halo of younger folks to associate with. Path is a cave. We dont have the equivalent of rad techs/nurses/PAs to associate with and our main ancillary histotechs work at night when we are asleep making all our slides.

As dumb as it sounds, it actually matters: Radiology as a word has better connotation in English than Pathology. Pathology has almost exclusively negative connotation and the word itself is derived the greek Pathos meaning suffering. This will have a near constant subconscious affect, whether you admit it or not, on the "Id" portion of a psyche which will then manifest in unpredictable ways to the ego and superego. This indicates that pathologists as a group likely grapple far more with mental illness/substance abuse/self worth issues than radiologists although I cant point to a real data set to prove this.

You will have more fellow rads in pretty much any setting than fellow paths. Radiologists staff at almost a 2-3:1 ratio to Pathologists.

there you go.
Thank you, I appreciate the response. So very similar lines of work with Radiology being a bit more competitive. Now I have heard job prospects for pathologists have been really bad for the last few years, how true is this? Is there any chance of improvement? I have heard radiology is getting more and more competitive every year; I imagine students who don't want to deal with patients will either go one or the other and they're starting to go for radiology more now

In my neck of the woods Rads is becoming like Path and gas with national operations taking over. Radiology have their own versions of Ameripath which are spreading big time where I operate.

I wouldn't recommend path, rads or gas.

Reactions: 1 user
Rads versus Path was my decision, and I decided on path bc I just enjoyed the type of work more, and I didnt like the procedural aspect of radiology. I am 3 years now into private practice pathology, and I am happy with my decision. I will echo that the lifestyle of pathology is probably a bit better most places than rads. My guess is that on average pathologists make a bit less, but I am confident that I make just as much as or more than many radiologists ( I am at about 1.5 x the "reported" average pathologist income). Overall, though, both fields are pretty good for lifestyle and pay, so what matters most is certainly how much you enjoy the type of work involved.

It is very hard to predict what the future will hold for any field. I have a good idea that things will probably be more similar than different 10 years from now. 20-30 years out...who knows? I have a toddler, and if he is similar to me, I was actually thinking I would push Rads more than path bc I have a hard time believing that histology will be relevant when he is mid career in 40-50 years. I worry about histology being replaced by advanced imaging techniques and/or molecular testing. Imaging will always be around but will just become more advanced. As to AI replacing radiologists, maybe it will replace some aspect of their jobs but you will still need a human rending the final report (I hope). The other threat could be clinicians reading more of their own imaging tests.

Who knows, maybe someday the two field will morph together

Thank you.

It is almost ridiculously early for you to even consider a specialty. But if you
like tech/med combo consider radonc. generally attracts hi test/academic types with some typical med student “research” boxes checked. Disproportionately high # of PhD’s in the field. You need to have a very good handle on radiation physics.
I did 5 (4?) months radonc elective back in the stone age (cobalt 60 and “new” linacs) and it is pretty cool. Nice lifestyle field. BUT, many, many horribly ill patients that you will be asked to treat but...well, after med school you may dwell on this.

But if you
like tech/med combo consider radonc. generally attracts hi test/academic types with some typical med student “research” boxes checked. Disproportionately high # of PhD’s in the field. You need to have a very good handle on radiation physics.
I did 5 (4?) months radonc elective back in the stone age (cobalt 60 and “new” linacs) and it is pretty cool. Nice lifestyle field. BUT, many, many horribly ill patients that you will be asked to treat but...well, after med school you may dwell on this.

Just be sure to read this thread first, or at least the first post: FUTURE RESIDENT, DO NOT BECOME A RADIATION ONCOLOGIST!!!

Avoid pathology like the plague unless you have your heart set on working in an academic setting.

Appreciate all the responses. Hopefully by the time I actually have to decide the job market for Pathologists will be better, I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket (Radiology) before even knowing what to expect

Appreciate all the responses. Hopefully by the time I actually have to decide the job market for Pathologists will be better, I don't like putting all my eggs in one basket (Radiology) before even knowing what to expect
Good luck...I’m in Pathology and wish I wasn’t.

Replace rad onc with pathologist in previous post. Of all the pathologists I have met (training and practice), I figure 20% actually live where they want to. The future is academics or corp pathmill. You will have two choices when done with training.