Undergrad degree importance??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Finish school or work this semester?

• Finish 2nd degree

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Work

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters

dentalschool123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how important your undergrad degrees are when you graduate dental school and find a job? Will more undergrad degrees or even a masters degree put you at an advantage when finding a job as a dentist? I’m stuck between finishing my 2nd undergrad degree (Chemistry BA, my first degree is Human Physiology BS) this semester or just working and paying back my undergrad loans (not to mention saving 8,000 in tuition). Also fortunate enough to where my parents will give me the 8,000 they would save in tuition toward rent in dental school. But if I don’t finish I don’t have the option to attend the school I’m on the waitlist at (UNE) since they require me to finish the degree. I was accepted to MOSDOH and they said I don’t have to finish. I was wondering if finishing would put me at any advantage after dental school or does it not matter at all? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering how important your undergrad degrees are when you graduate dental school and find a job? Will more undergrad degrees or even a masters degree put you at an advantage when finding a job as a dentist? I’m stuck between finishing my 2nd undergrad degree (Chemistry BA, my first degree is Human Physiology BS) this semester or just working and paying back my undergrad loans (not to mention saving 8,000 in tuition). Also fortunate enough to where my parents will give me the 8,000 they would save in tuition toward rent in dental school. But if I don’t finish I don’t have the option to attend the school I’m on the waitlist at (UNE) since they require me to finish the degree. I was accepted to MOSDOH and they said I don’t have to finish. I was wondering if finishing would put me at any advantage after dental school or does it not matter at all? Thanks!

In my opinion, I am not a professional so take it with a grain of salt, a dentist is a dentist regardless of what their undergrad degree is in. I wouldn't think your undergrad would lend much value in the way of negotiating your pay or making you a more attractive hire. Everyone is graduating with at least a DMD or DDS which I would think trumps any undergrad degree. At the end of the day relevant work experience trumps education because that's what your employer will use to determine your dollar value to them in terms of what you can bring to company and how much you can make them. I'd like to think that with my nontraditional background a dentist would be willing to pay me more but the reality is probably closer to me getting the same pay as everyone else since we all more or less graduate at an even baseline.

But in your situation I'm not sure what I would do. You're so close to being done but could also save yourself some money in the long run.

Your undergrad degree has no significance once you start and finish dental school. In your case, however, finishing your second undergrad degree depends on whether you want to have a shot at UNE or are sure you want to attend MOSDOH.
Okay thanks! I’m not sure because what if I end up not getting into UNE ever and then I wasted all this money since the degree has no significance. Do you have any opinions about either school on which ones better to attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, I am not a professional so take it with a grain of salt, a dentist is a dentist regardless of what their undergrad degree is in. I wouldn't think your undergrad would lend much value in the way of negotiating your pay or making you a more attractive hire. Everyone is graduating with at least a DMD or DDS which I would think trumps any undergrad degree. At the end of the day relevant work experience trumps education because that's what your employer will use to determine your dollar value to them in terms of what you can bring to company and how much you can make them. I'd like to think that with my nontraditional background a dentist would be willing to pay me more but the reality is probably closer to me getting the same pay as everyone else since we all more or less graduate at an even baseline.

But in your situation I'm not sure what I would do. You're so close to being done but could also save yourself some money in the long run.
Oh wow thank you! I know I’m so torn at what to do and I need to decide by this week to not have to pay any tuition because classes start this week. So many things to think about!

Got multiple offers as a Liberal Arts Major. Debt is real and scary. Go and have fun/work