I went to Florida State for my freshmen year, and without a doubt, it was the worst decision i've ever made. I disliked the school/town/atmosphere very much. My statistics teacher walked in on the first day (my smallest class, about 300 students) and told us at the end of her speech that "unless we scheduled office hours, we would probably never see her again, as my 4 TA's will be conducting lecture"
as i mentioned, that was my smallest class... bio had 1500 students and was taught in a theatre 😳)
however, my best friend graduated from there recently, and loved it.
but obviously if you're looking academically Florida would be the best bet, though I know many UCF students/graduates who swear by their school.
best of luck to you
I took nearly all of my premed classes at FSU and never had a class of 1500. If you're in the general education type classes, they will be large at nearly every major university because they are general requirements. Everyone needs them. I took plenty of classes that were only 10-30 people as well, which honestly made no real difference in my education. For all the emphasis on student/teacher ratios in k-12, it really doesn't mean much in college where their job is to present the information in an easy to understand format and not so much to teach you and hold your hand for ever thing.
In addition, I never had problems with access to any of the professors at FSU. I took human biochem, which was a large class while interviewing at med schools. I missed quizzes and the prof personally set aside time for me to take the quizzes, as well as review mistakes I made. This happened with another class I was taking at the same time, which was microbiology and had about 60 people in it (it was still a pretty low level class).
You have to pick the school that fits your personality. There are sketch areas around FSU, but there are also very nice areas. Premed advising is worthless at nearly ever school I've been to or talked to people from. Going to FSU will not hamper your chances at getting into a medical school. I have friends from here that got into Louisville, Georgetown, UF, Miami, USF, FSU, UC-Davis, Colorado, Penn State, etc. Hell, they've had 3 rhodes scholars from here, all pretty recently.
What people don't realize is that YOU really make your undergrad education. So, you just have to pick a place you enjoy and where you'll be proud to hang that degree on your wall and go from there.