Undergrad GPA-3.7/MCAT-38Q/Graduate student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WHR

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a grad student from Canada (University of Toronto) and am currently working on my first application to US medical schools. I have tried for Canadian medical schools during my undergrad and did not get in (that was before my improved MCAT score - 31P to 38Q). Any thoughts on what schools I should apply and the chances of getting in? Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

depends on your UG GPA. Great MCAT score, btw.

I am uncertain of the level of competition in US medicine so I wanted to find out roughly where I stand within the general application pool.

My UG GPA was 3.7
My grad GPA is 4.0
MCAT was PS12, VR13, BS13, WS-Q

I have extensive research experience (publications, conferences, etc) with clinical population (mostly in the field of clinical neuroscience).

My EC is all over the place (but nothing special) ranging from volunteering at hospitals, intramural soccer team, writing for university newspaper, vice president of graduate student union, teaching assistant experience.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
you're extremely competitive, apply top-tier and some mid-tier schools

Non US residents face special obstacles you should be informed about, such as the need at some med schools to put up 4 years tuition and living expenses upon matriculation, whacky stuff like that.

Do some searches or start a thread with "canadian applicant" in the title on the pre allo thread to get some info - evidently some US schools are much more amenable to foreign applicants than others...

Good luck.

I am a grad student from Canada (University of Toronto) and am currently working on my first application to US medical schools. I have tried for Canadian medical schools during my undergrad and did not get in (that was before my improved MCAT score - 31P to 38Q). Any thoughts on what schools I should apply and the chances of getting in? Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm in a similar boat. I've applied to Canadian schools to years in a row. The first time I applied I had a 3.7 UG GPA and a 30Q MCAT (no interviews). Next time I applied with a 3.8 UG GPA and a 39N MCAT (no interviews, probably because of the 'N'). Anyway, I'm thinking I'll have to apply out of country. But, I don't really know anything about American medical schools.

I would also greatly appreciate any advice as to which schools I should apply to, and what my chances are.

Jesus Christ, 3.8/39 and not even the courtesy of an interview? Canada is cold in more ways than just the weather! I'll tell you one thing, your numbers are certainly way above competitive for US schools. Hopefully being Canadian isn't too much of a hurdle, though. Sorry, don't know much about it.

Apply to state and private schools and interviews will be rolling like water. You are very competitive and should'nt have problem securing admission in a top 20 school. Just apply to >30 schools (lower, mid and upper tier schools) and you''ll thank me for writing on this thread. I am a third year and i know that your stats are better than most of my friends in state schools.

Apply to state and private schools and interviews will be rolling like water. You are very competitive and should'nt have problem securing admission in a top 20 school. Just apply to >30 schools (lower, mid and upper tier schools) and you''ll thank me for writing on this thread. I am a third year and i know that your stats are better than most of my friends in state schools.

Thanks TJ, I hope you're right.

Also, I was wondering if most schools require additional information beyond the AMCAS application. I'm assuming yes, but will they ask me for supplemental information directly, or expect me to find out for myself (i.e., through their websites)?

Also, I was wondering if most schools require additional information beyond the AMCAS application. I'm assuming yes, but will they ask me for supplemental information directly, or expect me to find out for myself (i.e., through their websites)?

Yeah, most schools will ask for supplemental information by sending you a secondary application (as an email link to an electronic application or pdf file, or by physically sending you a document; I think many, if not most, schools will send you an email with a link or instructions on how to proceed). Most schools will do this automatically after they receive your AMCAS application; however, some will screen before sending you a secondary application. Basically, for most schools, the secondary applications will ask for money and for you to enter similar information as you did in your primary, perhaps with greater specificity, plus some additional essays.

Your file is reviewed for an interview at most places after you are complete with them. This includes a completed and submitted primary application (AMCAS), secondary application + fee, LORs, and whatever they ask you to submit in the secondary. Therefore, generally, the sooner you are complete, the better, due to rolling admissions.

Thanks everyone for the reassuring comments. I am putting the finishing touches to my primary application - although I should've really finished it a week or two ago. We'll see how the dice falls this time.

which magic spell did you use to go from 31 to 39??

which magic spell did you use to go from 31 to 39??

Well, the first time I wrote the test I wasn't really prepared for it. I am not a health sciences student, and none of my friends were taking the test, so I really had no idea what to expect. Also, I had never taken organic chemistry....

So, I took organic chemistry and a bunch of biology classes and wrote the test again the next August. This time I started studying in May (instead of mid-July). I think the main difference was in study time. I finished reviewing the material by the end of June and had July and the beginning of August to practise again and again and again.... I'm not sure what happened on the writing sample the second time around though.

Under prepared, and you got a 31? Good grief. The average score of a MATRICULANT in the US is 30.

For me, I think I studied as much the first time as I did the second time. However, I took a lot more practice tests (i think at least 10 full tests) for the second time around. Also, I focused more on the topics that I felt uncomfortable with and did as many questions/passages that I can find on those topics. I find that most test takers have one or two subjects that they are comfortable with and they end up with scores that are skewed. I think the strategy of studying the weak areas (even if it made me feel stupid at times) helped me to get 13-12-13-Q. (Although I should've practice my writing sample a bit more).

Jesus Christ, 3.8/39 and not even the courtesy of an interview? Canada is cold in more ways than just the weather! I'll tell you one thing, your numbers are certainly way above competitive for US schools. Hopefully being Canadian isn't too much of a hurdle, though. Sorry, don't know much about it.

Hey Cornell every year takes some Canadian students. Apply early and tell them you Love NYC and Cornell.