Undergrad GPA vs. Pharm D. GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyface68

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I overheard some undergrad students comparing the importance of maintaining a high GPA in college versus in graduate school (pharmacy school in this case). They claimed that pharm D. students can just "flow by" school since GPA ceases to be a crucial issue (afterall, they have already "made it" to the professional school, and there's no point in keeping up the GPA anymore, right? it's not like they need to impress anyone else!). I disagree with their conclusion in this matter since GPA is an important factor when students are competing for the best residencies, right? Of course other factors include letters of recommendation, etc. I would appreciate any input about this matter, because it certainly bugs me a lot when undergrads underestimate graduate schools.

Members don't see this ad.

GPA may be important if after you graduate you want to get another degree such as an MBA, MPH, MD (yeah yeah) etc. GPA is also important in that many school have a minimum GPA in place that students must meet in order to graduate. Yes, GPA might matter in terms of residencies but I think that the interview is one of the most important parts.

Undergrads are idiots and have no frame of reference to talk about such a thing. You have not "made it" to anything by getting into pharmacy school, give me a break. Some students at my school subscribe to the "C equals PharmD" philosophy and I wish I could impale each one of them on a spike. If you spend so much time and energy getting admitted into a professional program, then why not act as a professional and work as hard as you can to gain all of the knowledge possible within the curriculum. And, it will matter when you get done if you plan on completing a residency, as well as interviewing well and receiving positive letters of recommendation.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA is very important when applying to residencies. It's one of the top things they look at -- even more so than extracurriculars or leadership positions in school organizations. Keep your GPA up. This is advice given to me by directors at Kaiser that interview residency candidates. Other programs *may* have different standards, but I doubt it. Various professors and 4th year students have also imparted the same advice. Of course, if you're absolutely positive you're not applying for residencies or any other academic programs after obtaining a Pharm.D., a stellar GPA may not matter much anymore. But why take the chance that you might need it later on?

Hi everyone,
I overheard some undergrad students comparing the importance of maintaining a high GPA in college versus in graduate school (pharmacy school in this case). They claimed that pharm D. students can just "flow by" school since GPA ceases to be a crucial issue (afterall, they have already "made it" to the professional school, and there's no point in keeping up the GPA anymore, right? .

One other aspect besides the whole residency issue - I know my school and probably a lot of other schools have a lot of scholarships that they give out to P2-P4 students, and the scholarship committee certainly looks at GPA when awarding those. So, one of my main motivations in the first year GPA-wise was to put myself in a better position to get scholarships so I wouldn't have to take out so much in loan.

Does your GPA start all over in pharmacy school or does it continue from undergrad?

One other aspect besides the whole residency issue - I know my school and probably a lot of other schools have a lot of scholarships that they give out to P2-P4 students, and the scholarship committee certainly looks at GPA when awarding those. So, one of my main motivations in the first year GPA-wise was to put myself in a better position to get scholarships so I wouldn't have to take out so much in loan.

i'm sure it also applies to receiving invitations to honorary clubs! the countless number of pros for maintaining a high GPA!

Does your GPA start all over in pharmacy school or does it continue from undergrad?

Not only does ours start over at P1 (unless a student enters from the CU system), but it starts over yet again at P2. We're considered undergrads as P1s. We move into graduate status in the P2 year.

I think GPA is important in both undergrad and in pharm school, but for different reasons. In undergrad, a low GPA can keep one out of pharmacy school or any graduate program. In pharm school, a low GPA can cut off financial aid and place a student a risk of being dropped from the program. I don't believe that high GPA necessarily means that a student has superior clinical skills.

In terms of residency, there's a lot more that goes into selection than GPA (if my school's advisor's are to be believed). A student's community involvement, clarity of direction, motivations, social aptitude and career aspirations are all taken into account (among other factors, I'm sure).

Personally, I've stopped worrying about my GPA and I focus instead on doing what I can. So far, it's working out well. I'm learning a great deal. I have meaningful contacts with classmates, faculty, preceptors and my community. And, my god, I'm ready for summer.

One of my preceptors jokingly mentioned that he only hires from Rho Chi.