Does Academic probation affect residency chances if it doesn't affect your GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Stage7Necrophile

Reaction score
I'm a P1 going into P2 and have already been placed on Academic probation twice, even though I have a 3.87 GPA. This is because I get A's or A-'s in my science classes which are graded but frequently fail my "non-science" courses like IPPEs, laboratory, or other courses on Professionalism that are graded Pass/fail in my class. I end up remediating these classes and the grade is changed to a Pass (if it was a graded class, successful remediation results in a grade changed to a C, the lowest passing grade). I was just wondering if this can be a red flag for residencies (or if they can see them) even though they have no impact on my GPA

Members don't see this ad.

Not speaking as someone who looks at residency packets/applications, just someone who has applied to both PGY-1 and PGY-2 positions with a small peak in seeing how each of my residency programs ranked individuals.

What will your transcript look like after completing your P1? You should be able to look at your student portal and see what that reflects (official or unofficial grades). If no "repeat" or remediation is noted, and you keep your head down to the end, I don't foresee any problems unless these professors are longitudinally teaching you and are required to attest to your academics (more so professionalism).

Failing an IPPE rotation though is interesting and not sure how that can be masked/overlooked. What were the specifics that took place that required you to repeat a rotation? Also, courses on professionalism that you initially failed most certainly is a red-flag. You may be ok so long as your GPA stays where it is, but at some point you'll have to reflect on what you did on rotation that requires you to remediate.

Care to share?

I know that sometimes, course remediation is obvious on a transcript, only because I have noticed it before. So, if I saw multiple remediated classes, it would be a huge red flag (even more so that they include a course on professionalism). I'd probably advocate to toss an applicant like that unless we were either desperate or you were able to address it VERY well in your LOI.

On a side note, I feel like it is a sad commentary on the state of pharmacy education that you can remediate multiple failed courses and still be on track to graduate. We weren't even allowed more than one D before academic review and potential expulsion (I had classmates that failed out this way).

Reactions: 1 users