Undergrad Grades

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdibbs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am in quite the predicament I racked up about 7 F's at my community college mainly in my first 2 years there. I know that it doesnt look good for me at this point. I did however clean up my act and managed to get a 4.0 the last 4 semesters finishing most of the pre-reqs gen chem2, ochem, physics, calculas, and biology(semester b4 i got B in gen chem 1). I need advice on what to do next as I will be hopefully starting at uc irvine or uc davis next fall. I'm scared that even with my performance as of late my past semesters will really hurt my chances of being accepted to dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi I am in quite the predicament I racked up about 7 F's at my community college mainly in my first 2 years there. I know that it doesnt look good for me at this point. I did however clean up my act and managed to get a 4.0 the last 4 semesters finishing most of the pre-reqs gen chem2, ochem, physics, calculas, and biology(semester b4 i got B in gen chem 1). I need advice on what to do next as I will be hopefully starting at uc irvine or uc davis next fall. I'm scared that even with my performance as of late my past semesters will really hurt my chances of being accepted to dental school.

7 f'S is A LOT of f's... I've never heard of someone getting accepted with that many... I'd imagine it could be possible by doing great for the rest of undergrad then doing great in post bacc or a masters, then somehow finding a way to explain away 7 f's in an interview

whoa how in the world does one get that many F's?
I'm actually similar to you in that I received a lot of Cs and Ds but only got 1 F. I managed to pull my GPA to 3.4 or something by retaking the F and 2 Ds but with PharmCAS they average all grades so mine is low on there. I say as long as you get 3.0 (averagign the Fs) then you're good to go since your straight As indicate a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you approach this correctly, you should be fine.
1. Continue to do well, and forget about the past for a bit.
2. Address the F's in your application. There has to be a good reason. When you apply explain this honestly and directly in your essay.
3. If you can clearly see the difference in your grades from then to now, I personally don't see why you could not be accepted.

-C

Did you finish all of those pre-reqs at the same community college that you got all of those F's at?

yeah I finished all my pre-reqs at the same community college. I pretty much took a bunch of classes that I didn't like when I first started going to community college just taking classes just to take them only to find out that I'm really good at science. Got my act together learned how to study and worked my butt off.

What sucks for you is that not only do you have 7 F's, they are at a community college and furthermore, so are your pre-reqs. Most schools frown on CC credits, all of your pre-reqs from a CC is a large disadvantage and possibly a disqualifier. You should speak with the admissions office of a few schools that you think you will be interested in and see what advice they have for you. Also, maybe speak with a pre-health advisor at the 4 year school you plan to attend. Map out a plan that will give you a fighting shot and go for it. You can do it, you just have a bit more to overcome than most.

If you approach this correctly, you should be fine.
1. Continue to do well, and forget about the past for a bit.
2. Address the F's in your application. There has to be a good reason. When you apply explain this honestly and directly in your essay.
3. If you can clearly see the difference in your grades from then to now, I personally don't see why you could not be accepted.

-C

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: I second this advice. Forget about the past and continue filling your transcript with As!!

SuperC made a really good point, but the best point of all this is that you got your act together. Don't let the pass interfere with your future. Keep working hard, nothing is impossible, you might need a post-bach/masters but if it gets you to dental school, than it is worth fighting for.
Take a look at me for a example, in high school, I had 5 F's. I was going to the wrong direction and I felt lost, and I made an ever worst mystake by taking 2 years off school after I graduated from high school. I started working with construction... after those 2 years I was burned/tired, and just like you did, I started going into the right direction, got back in schools and working on my goals. My goal/dream is to become a dentist, and I am working/studying hard for my future to be bright. The past is the past man.
The best thing that someone can learn from experiences like this is not that they are getting good grades after they commit something wrong, is that they know the mystakes that they made, and they will know better next time they are faced with difficult decisions.

Good luck man, I am sure you'll make it, just keep your head up, don't let anyone push you back, focus on your goals.