Undergrad in 3 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idioteque

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what people who got their Bachelors in 3 years do? Do you apply one cycle early or just apply your would be senior year? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

It all depends on you. Do you want to wait one year after undergrad? Then, apply your would-be senior year.

I finished my undergrad this year in 3 years and I am now going to WashU. I took MCATS by Sophomore year...spring of that year. I applied my Junior year (3rd year).

It depends on you. I didn't want to leave gap between my undergrad and medschool. Hope this helps.

There was a girl that worked here at the NIH that I knew that graduated from Stanford in 2.5 years, then did an internship here for a year, and applied then. She left in may to do into the UCSF MD/PhD/MSTP program. Personally I wouldnt apply right away, take some time to get some real world experiences and take a break from the studying. Personally it felt really good to get away from the studying and refocus, and not get burned out. After 2 majors and 4.5 years of undergrad I needed some time. That would be my advice, but do what you you think will make you happy....

Jim

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it a huge disadvantage to apply one year ahead of everyone?

Idioteque said:
Is it a huge disadvantage to apply one year ahead of everyone?

It depends, some schools are wary of younger applicants. If you're 20 when you apply it shouldn't be a problem. HOwever, some kids have applied at 18 and 19 with great stats and felt they weren't accepted by some schools because of their age. Just make sure that your activities and experiences show that you're mature and you should be fine.

The only thing about waiting is that you better have something worthwhile to do during your year off. Schools don't want to hear I spent the past year breaking in my spot on the couch.

I graduated in 3 yrs and Im starting med school in less than a week. A guy I know also graduated in 3 but hes taking a year off. If you feel ready, then go for it. If not, relax.