undergrad loan deferment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted872555

so i have student loans from undergrad and i will be starting medical school in july 2021.

my question is, do i have to submit a deferment request or will they automatically be deferred when i start medical school?

any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

so i have student loans from undergrad and i will be starting medical school in july 2021.

my question is, do i have to submit a deferment request or will they automatically be deferred when i start medical school?

any help is appreciated!
I am pretty sure you have to make the request. How else are they supposed to know you want the deferment? Also, I am pretty sure loan origination and servicing are separate, so they might not even know that you are starting school. Finally, you'd be eligible for a deferment even if you aren't borrowing for med school, and, if you aren't taking new loans, they'd certainly have no way to know you are going back to school.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are they federal loans? Mine went into automatic deferral for med school. I didnt have to do anything at all.

Are they federal loans? Mine went into automatic deferral for med school. I didnt have to do anything at all.
How did they know? I'll guess it was because you took more federal loans for med school?

How did they know? I'll guess it was because you took more federal loans for med school?
That’s probably why. But i think it was reported to the Board of Education.. idk, i just know it was automatic.

That’s probably why. But i think it was reported to the Board of Education.. idk, i just know it was automatic.
This is good to know! Anyone who is lucky enough to receive a no-loan package should probably call their servicer just to be safe, since there probably wouldn't be anything to trigger it if you don't take more federal loans.

If your undergrad or grad school loans were all federal then re-enrolling in school triggers an automatic deferral, because the financial aid department at your medical school has to submit to the federal gov that you’re once again in school. If you had taken out private loans they might not be linked, so there would be a separated process you would have to go through.

Federal student loans is one of the easier government programs to navigate, until it comes time to refinance.

Reactions: 1 users