Undergrad Major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mike43s

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a bio major at Penn State but get very bored with bio and was looking to switch majors. I want to go to med school, but in case i don't get in or decide in two years i don't want to go, i want a good major with which you could get a good job after graduation. (kind of like a back up plan just in case med school doesnt work out) Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Well nursing or computer science may land you a decent job after graduation. I'm doing chemistry, so med school all the way, otherwise I'll be laying bricks.

I am not an expert in the statistics, but 95% of the people that I know who are graduating are graduating without any job offers. I only know one person who has graduated with a job in his field. And that was a geologist.

I think that if you really want a job after school you're going to have to do engineering or something with computers. Everything else is not really sought after right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most engineering majors, computer science, accounting, nursing, etc.

Biochemistry. It's what I got my undergrad in and I was offered a job. Actually, everyone who graduated with me got offered a job OR went on to further schooling.

In a non-related to medical field, except for in the more landscape design aspects, the agricultural industry hasn't had too many cuts.

Engineering majors are good. A Math major will let you do a wide range of things. Computer science is another good one. Education(Science or math) is a good backup. Most other things are not quite as good for getting jobs right out of college.

The kids at my school who seem to be getting the best job offers right now are either engineering, math, computer science, or some kind of business type major (finance, accounting, economics).

You're safe in any major as long as you get the medical pre-reqs done. I have a friend who was a film major in undergrad yet their target was medical school.

Though this might be a good time to ask yourself if medical school is really your target - we're talking bio 24/7 here.

I am currently a bio major at Penn State but get very bored with bio and was looking to switch majors. I want to go to med school, but in case i don't get in or decide in two years i don't want to go, i want a good major with which you could get a good job after graduation. (kind of like a back up plan just in case med school doesnt work out) Any suggestions?

Undergrad majors and pretty much undergrad in general makes no difference. My suggestion, Take your BCPM courses and JUST STUDY FOR THE MCAT...you will not become a doctor unless you pass this exam.

Better yet, my college let us make up our own majors if we wanted. Major in the MCAT and you will be all set.

If you want a solid backup, applied math. Math has applications in every field you could ever imagine.

That said, if you are fully committed to medical school, a back up is irrelevant. All time and energy should be focused on getting there. Then, a backup is superfluous.

Last edited:
I am a fan of psychology. Easy major and with a masters degree lots of fields open up, although there are quite a few jobs out there with just a BS.

My knee jerk response would be to say engineering because that's what I did, but if your primary goal is to go to medical school you don't want to set yourself up with a lower GPA. From what people on here say, adcoms don't cut engineers any slack for having lower grades in difficult majors, so whatever you choose you'll have to do well. So I'd caution against engineering.

Maybe some sort of degree in social work. High demand if not too much pay, plus the background could be useful.

If you want a job in Biology, you're better suited by pumping your resume with a lot of undergraduate research and involvement in the field. This is a lot better than spending your time getting a degree that you're not interested in. Now if your major were a social science, I'd be urging you to change.

Go for engineering if you're at all interested in math, physics, and problem solving. It's pretty difficult, but if you do well, it'll teach you really good ways to think. You'll be unique among other pre-meds just from the way you'll be able to think about and solve problems. I think that's an important component of being a doctor.