undergrad matters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elinz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey does anyone know if you get preferential treatment from a dental school if you went there for undergrad? any at all?

Members don't see this ad.

At Tufts you do... they love double jumbos

elinz said:
Hey does anyone know if you get preferential treatment from a dental school if you went there for undergrad? any at all?

It probably varies from school to school. I know that at my school it is particularly hard to get into the med school if you did your undergrad there because the Adcom knows TOO much about the school. They can tell which courses are easier, what kind of extracurriculars are really just fluff, how much grade inflation there is, etc. On the other hand, you might have an advantage because you know more about the dental school, what they are looking for, who to get on the good side of, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
UNC dent school does not have preferential as to where you are from 16 of the unc public school system, but it seems like about 30/81 are from unc undergrad. there are factors that gives you advantange as far as going to same dent school.

for one, you have a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the school itself b/c you're close, know people in the dent school or faculty members. you interact w/ them and they will know if you're serious about dentistry, and mostly likely they'll notice you little bit more, not b/c you're from same undergrad, but they know you better than others.

i'm not saying this is THE case, but for me this is the case. i met few faculty members just by being in pre-dent clubs and dent related volunteering.

just my 2 cents

I have heard that UF favors their own. Again, just hear-say, no proof

I strongly believe and have found that your performance will outshine any undergraduate preferences. There are the occassional people that get into a dental school with somwhat lower stats and a weaker application because the school values the undergrad. There are also people who will NOT get into a school with an amazing application, and perhaps their college or university just doesn't go over well with that particular adcom.

But, with almost ALL people, you are sending in an application for yourself, and it represents YOU. You need an excellent academic record, experience, proof that dentistry is the one thing you want desperately to do, and show that you're an interesting, engrossing person. We can all try to find factors that may lean an adcom one way or another - family members, certain majors, age, location, undergrad, people who write the LORs, whatever.

But these smaller factors will not make up for a poor record and will not necessarily detract from an excellent one.