Undergrad + Med School Loans?

Started by MHTech
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MHTech

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am just wondering whether anyone has or currently is going through undergrad and med school almost exclusivley on loans. How common is it for a person to accumlate loans through 8 years of school and begin paying them off once they're residency starts? How much in debt would one be after 8+ years of school?

I currently make 24,000 a year before taxes and that is barely enough to pay for many classes. I will have $4,750 for college through the AmeriCorps program after a year of volunteering. I could contribute a bit but not much. That's where loans come into play. Making what I make, cut it in half for part time work, around $12,000 annually BT, what type of loans would I qualify for and how much? Enough to get through Undergrad? With good undergrad grads, I would obviously be more eligble for loans in Med School.

Just trying to map out plans on how I plan to become a MD, one day.
Thanks! 👍
 
Loans (for me):

Undergrad: approx $10,000 a year (unsub stafford, college access loan)
Med school: approx $45,000 a year (unsub & sub stafford, perkins)
 
Even though I worked 40 hours/week throughout all 4 years of college, I still ended up with a debt of around $30,000. I now borrow about $35,000 a year in med school, so by next year, I'll be around $170,000 in debt (not including interest). 🙁
 
I'm doing it, carrying about $25K in sub and unsub staffords from undergrd and another $38.5K/year in med school. As to how I'm going to pay it back... easy, sell out, work hard on the boards and get into a high paying specialty (i.e. more than 150K/year).