Undergrad or grad courses...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

commymommy

*reformed commymommy*
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going back to school after a long break. ugrad gpa was 3.44 (science 3.3) grad gpa 3.8

My question is...should I take undergrad or grad science courses? Certainly upping my ugrad gpa would be nice...but in a way, I feel like I should move forward...and take graduate courses...this would only contribute to my grad gpa though.....

Can anyone help me out?

Kris

Members don't see this ad.

Kris,

What city do you live in? Are you by a medical school, or 2 in the area? What's the nearest school?

As far as the courses go, I don't think it will really matter as long as they are advanced (you have taken the pre req year of bio, physics, gen chem, english, and orgo, right?

I believe (and don't quote me, here) that classes taken after an undergrad degree ALL go into your undergrad GPA, UNLESS you are in a formal graduate program. So taking non-degree courses, or unstructured grad courses, or post-bac courses all go into your undergrad GPA (someone correct me, if I'm wrong).

BUT, don't worry about this.

You have gotten a 2.8 undergrad, and 3.8 grad. I'd forget about the past and move forward. Take more upper level courses and don't worry about what GPA they affect. Medical schools, especially if you keep in touch to the ones that you are applying to and explain your situation, would respect your maturity and how difficult it is for you to raise a family and still pursue your dreams.

They would surely look at improvement more (and not necessarily your past GPA), in your situation, with your responsibilities.

I hope this helps, and good luck!

Thanks! I go through regular bouts of self-doubt about this...I would prefer to take courses that are of interest to me and that I find challenging and not constantly be looking over my shoulder at the mistakes that I have made. My 7 year old is much wiser than I am...he just finished the first grade and this weekend he has told me "oh mom, you can't go backwards"...

Kris