Undergrad pre-vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saki Nishibi

Meow Rawr Woof
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Many, if not all, of you were once in the same situation as I am-- trying to gather up a list of good undergrad colleges that both gives good opportunities and reduces as much debt as possible to save that for vet school. Well, I'm interested in what you all have to say about this. If you guys don't mind me asking, where did you go for undergrad? How well did it prepare you for vet school? Any clubs/research/special opportunities that are worth considering? Or maybe you didn't like it and wished you went to another school for undergrad? I know that for many vet schools, it doesn't matter where you go for undergrad, but I would like to broaden my scope as much as possible and consider every option that I have that I would not have known otherwise.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to a state school in Nebraska (OOS) because it was the cheapest option, hands down. With my scholarships, I paid about 13,000, give or take, for a bachelors of science in biology. That includes the small bit of tuition I had to pay for, housing, food, etc. With textbooks and such, I would bump it up to around 15,000. I graduated without debt because I had a childhood college fund that paid for a chunk and I worked all four years during breaks for my aunt, then three years in the on-campus c-store, and was an RA for two years. The other schools I applied to were Colorado State and University of Wyoming. Accepted to both and was even IS for CSU. However, I spent less in four years at my undergrad than I would have spent in one year at CSU or UW (who gave me more scholarship money, too).

The actual experience of school was great. I loved pretty much all of college with the exception of first semester junior year (bunch of family stuff happened back home, things blew up in the pre-vet department, failed a class). The only thing I would have changed was my major: I would have been a fine arts major with an animal science minor instead of bio with an emphasis in vet med. This is because I didn't know squat about applying to vet school until my junior year, and so I went with the major that the biology department put me in and followed my advisor's advice. Bad moves all the way around as the "pre-vet" program was shared between the bio department and ag department at the time and those two departments hated each other with a visible passion (at least from the students' perspectives). The biology department now holds the keys to the "pre-vet" kingdom and needs some serious updating. A lot of kids who go here now don't go "pre-vet" because of how the bio department has it set up. Instead, they go through the ag department and are rangeland management or wildlife management and do the few prereqs not in their program as electives. Much more successful that way than the way I did it in my opinion. The current bio advisor tries to have kids average 17-18 credits every semester with 10 of those credits being science, which is a bit excessive to me. The school also is very small and in a very small town, so the options of getting volunteer stuff or shadowing are extremely limited and the school doesn't help whatsoever; it's all on you. Had I realized this sooner, I would have changed my major and organized my summers way differently than I did. Back then, I didn't realize that it's a crap shoot on what your advisor actually knows and just believed everything they told me.

With that being said, if I had to make the choice again, I am pretty sure I would have gone to UW if I could do it all again. I loved my experience of college and the friends I made (and appreciate the things that happened where people were no longer friends), but overall, I don't think my undergrad does a great job of preparing people for trying to get into vet school or having a back up plan. I'm glad I realized this all when I did, or else I would be working at a doggy day care for 10 dollars an hour. Because I realized what is actually important, I became an RA (for club and leadership experiences and the free room/board), really enjoyed it, performed well, and now I'm back at my undergrad as a resident director. I appreciate that I have no debt, but I would have taken some on for the possibility of a better curriculum with people that know what their doing.

Number 1 lesson for no matter where you go: Educate yourself. Do not rely on or absolutely trust your advisors/department until you confirm the information for yourself. This forum is the number one reason why I wised up to the situation. Stick around here, use the internet resources (AAVMA website and such), to know what you really have to do.

If I could do everything over again with hindsight being 20/20.....

I would take as many courses as possible close to home while living with my parents. I would take as many courses and pre-reqs as possible at a community college. I would also attempt to pay for the courses out of pocket instead of with loans. Then I would have transferred to a university for the courses that have to be taken at a four year university. I also would have given more consideration to moving to a state with a veterinary school and establishing residency. This way I could have gone to veterinary school as an IS student and saved a ton of money. Basically any way I could have found to save money and not pull out loans, I would do now if I could looking back.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am finishing up undergrad at a small university that is a ~30 minute commute from where my parents live. Between living at home, scholarships, and some help from my parents, I will graduate without any undergrad debt. Very thankful for this.

If you are determined to pursue vet med, definitely attend an undergrad institution where you are going to be able to graduate with the least debt possible. Don't get caught up in the world of schools with flashy names but hefty price tags. Don't do it. It is not where you go to school that matters, it is what you make of it while you are there.

With that said, if you are genuinely interested in research, for example, find out what student involvement in research looks like at schools you are interested in. This can vary significantly, and is something good to ask about. Also keep in mind that even if there are not great opportunities for this at the school you end up at, some internships (depending on the field) can be research-based or include a research component as well.

One more note: batsenecal alluded to this some too, but don't get stuck on whether the school has an official "pre-vet track" or "pre-vet advisors" or what have you. It really doesn't matter. My school has an official pre-vet animal science type major, but I am a zoology major that just made sure to take the other pre-reqs I needed. I'm applying to vet school this year and doing just fine so far. It really isn't a big deal - look into which schools want which pre-reqs, plan ahead, do your research (all things that any pre-vet student should be doing by the way, "officially" pre-vet or otherwise), and you'll be good to go.

Number 1 lesson for no matter where you go: Educate yourself. Do not rely on or absolutely trust your advisors/department until you confirm the information for yourself. This forum is the number one reason why I wised up to the situation. Stick around here, use the internet resources (AAVMA website and such), to know what you really have to do.

+2. :thumbup:

Many, if not all, of you were once in the same situation as I am-- trying to gather up a list of good undergrad colleges that both gives good opportunities and reduces as much debt as possible to save that for vet school. Well, I'm interested in what you all have to say about this. If you guys don't mind me asking, where did you go for undergrad? How well did it prepare you for vet school? Any clubs/research/special opportunities that are worth considering? Or maybe you didn't like it and wished you went to another school for undergrad? I know that for many vet schools, it doesn't matter where you go for undergrad, but I would like to broaden my scope as much as possible and consider every option that I have that I would not have known otherwise.

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)
I did a year at a CC, then transferred to an IS 4-year school that had a veterinary school. I graduated with no debt, but it wasn't easy.

I wish I would have stayed an additional year at my CC to knock out pre-reqs cheaply. I wouldn't say that my 4-year prepared me for veterinary school any better than another school with good science programs would have. We all have to take the same courses for the same schools, and people from all over the country make it through just fine. Schools with veterinary colleges are likely to have pre-veterinary clubs that will offer some opportunities/networking, but you will also be among a higher number of pre-vet students seeking those same opportunities/jobs. That implies a bit of pressure and competition among students. Not always bad, but I definitely didn't come across people that automatically hated me just because I was also pre-vet at my CC. It can be pretty intense.

Also echoing the 'do your own legwork' idea. Undergrad advisers from a veterinary school are great and can answer a lot of questions. With that being said, I only went to one once and did just fine. I did 100% of the course planning, school selecting, etc. on my own. Everything you need is on the school websites. Questions are just a quick email. Don't feel pressured to attend a 'pre-veterinary' school or a school with a veterinary college.

I attended my IS undergrad school and lived at home so I saved a ton of money because no rent, mostly free food, parents pay half of my car and the school itself is inexpensive for IS people which I highly recommend. The other benefits for me were that the town I live in is very easy for gaining shadowing or volunteer experience both in vet med (although really only SA) and in humanitarian work which I think helped my resume. I was also able to work part time because my family and I had enough networking in my town so it wasn't too hard to find something without terrible hours. I didn't find a lot of pre vet competition overall in my area which was probably a benefit and I was able to get research experience at my school as well which I know can be difficult at some universities. I was able to join the honors college at my university which was a resume booster since my non science classes are honors and I am a biology major so I took more science classes than just the vet school prerequisites require but I think that was a good thing because I feel like I have a lot of experience with these classes and I think it made my schedule look good to vet schools. Good luck! :)

I'm glad that it sounds like you're doing well academically in high school. Take it from someone who didn't: it is so, so much harder to get good scholarships as a current undergraduate than a high schooler. While I did go to one of the cheapest 4-year schools in my state, I did have to move out and pay my own way (worked two jobs all throughout plus volunteering for vet experience), and I still wound up $40k in debt. Granted, I had a fifth year tacked onto that due to a major change, but still. You're doing all the right things. I was always kinda jealous of those who attended college funded primarily by parents or scholarships, especially those on full rides.

But despite my undergrad school being rather small -- especially for a state university -- I had ample opportunities to pursue research projects and even travel abroad to do biological work (didn't actually get to do it, sadly, but I considered it).

I do wish I'd gone to a community college for at least a couple of years. It's a lot cheaper, and while some vet schools do require a few prereqs to be taken at a 4-year, for most lower-division sciences, there's probably not a massive difference in overall content or quality.

By all means, if you're on-track to have a significant amount of your schooling paid for, then go wherever you'd like. But with how much vet school ALONE costs nowadays, I think it'd be wise to minimize the debt you incur from undergrad as much as possible. If that means turning down an institution with a vet school for one that is less expensive but still offers all of the pre-reqs you need, so be it. Rankings don't matter, prestige doesn't matter, heck -- even pre-vet advising doesn't really matter (we've got this forum, for goodness' sake). Getting out of undergrad with the least amount of loans possible matters.

A bit off-topic, but I adore your Okamiden avatar, by the way. :) I love those games.

I stayed with my parents and went to nearby IS school but I still wound up with a significant chunk of debt because I wasn't working for pay for the first 2-3 years. I mean, it's apparently below the national average but it still ain't great. If I were to do it over I would have done more to reduce my undergraduate debt. I would have spent more time looking at my options to make sure I was taking the cheapest route. This probably would have just meant going the community college route for the first two years before going to the 4 year that I went to.

I don't think my school was great at prepping me for veterinary school but I don't feel regretful in the least about that. All of the information is out there and reasonably easy to find. The one time I talked to an adviser (in a group) I didn't like the advising that he gave to be honest. It contrasted what I already knew. I don't know if it was just harder for him to be helpful because he was the pre-everything-remotely-medical adviser and he knew pre-med better maybe... but it was just not very helpful.

I was a member of the pre-vet club at my college which was only semi-active but did still provide a couple of cool opportunities like the chance to tour a zoo behind the scenes and talk to the vet there as well as sending out information for any internships/volunteer opportunities they knew about which is how I got set up volunteering at a wild bird rehab I'd never heard of before.

All in all, I think it was fine. I'm not jumping up and down about it but I don't sorely regret going there either. I honestly don't think it would have mattered to me where I went.

I went to OOS in Kentucky because I wanted to work with horses (which changed after a few weeks to cattle). I paid OOS tuition, got some scholarships, and my parents paid the difference (nice of them!). While at my undergrad, I was involved in research (unpaid for a year) then I wrote a few grants and was able to do 2 paid research projects plus studying abroad twice and working as an exchange researcher in Brazil. I basically got a bunch of SA experience in high school and my first summer in college.

Money wise: I lived on campus which was costly for my first year. After that I lived in an off campus house with a bunch of roommates. I got paid a little above minimum wage but was able to afford housing, my truck, and food with what I made. In the summer and breaks, I would work as a milker at the dairy pulling 12 hour days and maximizing my hours (and therefore my pay).

As a researcher, I got a lot of experience and made a ton of connections that helped. My classes were fantastic and allowed me to apply what I learned. I competed in Dairy Challenge all through my undergrad career and that help with differentials and speaking with people on cost effectiveness.

My advice: go where you want, save some money, but get experience. I would not trade my 4 years in undergrad for the world.

Everyone has made some good points, but I just wanted to chime in and mention that you shouldn't forget about the experiences that aren't just for application building, but for personal growth as well. If you're into community service, find a place that allows you to be heavily involved in your local community. Go study abroad (even if it's just a couple weeks in the summer...and won't cost you an arm and a leg). This was one of the more important aspects I was looking at because I knew that was something I wanted to do. I ended up going to a college that allowed my to go abroad for my entire junior year, didn't cost extra and all my classes transferred back so I was able to stay on tract in regards to my science pre-reqs. If you're into sports or outdoor events, join IM/club teams or do your outdoor adventures programs.

I ended up at an OOS liberal arts school which ended up being cheaper than my state schools because they actually had money to give me and offered all the things I mentioned above and more. I lived just outside a city that I consider a second home and would gladly go live in the area again.

I miss my undergrad tremendously...if only it had a vet school...I would have just stayed there.

Everyone is absolutely right in recommending schools that keep your costs low. That being said, don't discount reputable private schools with deep pockets that can provide funding for your studies. There are many schools with large endowments that have need-blind admissions where they will offer 100% of financial need.

Reactions: 1 user
This has been amazingly helpful so far!!!! Thank you to everybody to answered thus far!!! :cat: