Undergrad Prep for Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blablabla1

Orthodontics Resident
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently applying for dental school as a college senior so schools have already received my applications/supplements.

I'm going to need to decide classes for next semester and was wondering if anyone had insight into whether certain undergrad classes would have helped them adjust better to D1?

Members don't see this ad.

Anatomy would have been helpful, but I'm still getting As on exams without it. Maybe micro.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm currently applying for dental school as a college senior so schools have already received my applications/supplements.

I'm going to need to decide classes for next semester and was wondering if anyone had insight into whether certain undergrad classes would have helped them adjust better to D1?
Immunology

Members don't see this ad :)
After finishing my first year and the first boards, here's my list starting with most benficial:
Anatomy
Biochem
Immunolgy
Histology
pathophysiolgy

From most recommended to still very recommended but slightly less:
1)Anatomy and physiology,
2)biochem,
3) microbio,
4) and maybe even embryology and histology

I didnt take microbio in undergrad and actually had to put in a lot of effort to learn/memorize it all while most of my class had already took it so it was just a review for them.

If you've already taken biochem 1.... take biochem 2 as well. #dyinginbiomedrightnow

I agree with everyone who said anatomy. From most beneficial to least:
1. Anatomy & Physiology
2. Biochem (don't need 2)
3. Cell Biology
4. Immunology
5. Histology
6. Microbiology- helpful for second year

I heard gross anatomy would be a huge help, along with biochem. Thats what my dental school friends have been telling me

I would just make sure that your study habits can account for the increased course load during school. (classes are 8am -5pm at my school, 38 credits)
For example, some students are used to writing everything out and making colorful notes, but it may not be the best approach to studying unless you can be efficient with time.
Also, you cannot memorize everything like undergrad and need to be good at picking out the more pertinent information (for exams and boards) due to time consideration.

This seems to be a significant cause of lower grades in dental school.

I would just make sure that your study habits can account for the increased course load during school. (classes are 8am -5pm at my school, 38 credits)
For example, some students are used to writing everything out and making colorful notes, but it may not be the best approach to studying unless you can be efficient with time.
Also, you cannot memorize everything like undergrad and need to be good at picking out the more pertinent information (for exams and boards) due to time consideration.

This seems to be a significant cause of lower grades in dental school.

Hmm I'm definitely the type to write everything out. What study strategy would you propose that would be much more efficient?

Hmm I'm definitely the type to write everything out. What study strategy would you propose that would be much more efficient?

- I start by looking over notes on the powerpoints and make associations to make it easier to learn, while not wasting much time on general concepts unless I blanked out during lecture.
(i.e. memorizing that glycoproteins are associated with collagens and fibril formation, while proteoglycans are associated with polysaccharides transporting calcium in bone)
- After that, I skim over notes shared by classmates to fill in any gaps.
- After a day or two, I make sure to skim over the powerpoint/notes again to strengthen the associations I made the first time. I find this last step to be the most crucial in studying efficiently.

There will be students that struggle starting out, but it's okay since everyone finds their own methods after the first round of quizzes/exams.

Finding a good strategy will really help you in managing stress and creating extra free time to relax. :)

Would taking medical terminology be worth my while?

Would taking medical terminology be worth my while?

Probably not. Use electives to bring something unique to yourself! Plenty of prehealth applicants take medical terminology so taking something different will make you stand out. For example, I took calligraphy

I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that you should take classes to "stand out". Take classes that will actually help you b/c most places don't really care. I feel like more upper level science classes (with solid grades) would stand out more and help you in the long run than something that you don't enjoy just to put on a transcript. By all means take electives you do enjoy though, just don't plan on dental school caring.

Reactions: 1 users
I wholeheartedly disagree with the idea that you should take classes to "stand out". Take classes that will actually help you b/c most places don't really care. I feel like more upper level science classes (with solid grades) would stand out more and help you in the long run than something that you don't enjoy just to put on a transcript. By all means take electives you do enjoy though, just don't plan on dental school caring.

Disagree. Taking interesting classes (that ACTUALLY interest you) is much better than taking something like medical terminology that's not going to really help you with anything. It gives you a lot to talk about during interviews. We weren't talking about upper level biology classss by the way, we were talking about random electives

I was asking about medical terminology more for its usefulness in dental school. I've already been accepted, and I was wondering if a med terms course has been beneficial for any dental students that took one in undergrad