Undergrad question for entering Vet School after 3 years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Polocrosse2017

KSU C/O 2024
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If any of you have completed your prereqs in three years could you share what classes you took each semester. I'm looking at some plans and seeing if I think I can do it. I've been offered the option to do that if I maintain a 3.4 GPA. I'd just like to see what others have done and how they spaced it out.

Members don't see this ad.

I took two semesters of gen Chem summer 1, bio, orgo 1 and 2, physics 1, and stats year 1, genetics and cell bio summer 2, biochem and further bio classes year 2. So it was doable...but only through intense summer courseloads. For me, the gen chem classes were gateway to practically everything else.

Last edited:
You need your gen chem during yesr 1 and your biology during yesr 1 and all of your other non science read (writing, math, etc.) Orgo year two with physics, and upper level bios start. Biochem yesr 3 filled with upper level bio.

Members don't see this ad :)
My first year, I took gen chem and biology, along with calc and stats and english. Sprinkled a couple electives in there as well. My second year was ochem both semesters along with physiology, microbiology, biochem, one semester of physics, and public speaking. The only prerequisite I had left to take was physics II last semester. Sprinkled some other upper level physiology classes in there and nutrition. This semester I'm just taking random upper level science credits to graduate. I never took any summer classes, but all my general education type classes were AP credits. It's not the easiest way to do things, but will save me some time and $$

I came into my first year of undergrad with fifteen hours of gen eds through concurrent enrollment at my local community college (I had speech, college algebra, a humanities, and both comps).
Year 1: Intro Biology, Chem I, Genetics, Physics I
Summer: Physics II
Year 2: Chem II, Microbiology + Lab, Animal Nutrition, Organic Chem, several additional sciences required for my major
Year 3: Biochemistry, several upper division sciences

Obviously within those years were all other gen eds and major requirements. I took between 15-17 hours each semester in addition to the 15 hours I came in with and 7 hours over the summer. Your schedule will really just depend on the specific prerequisites of the schools you are planning to apply for and your degree requirements. To make sure I completed in three years, I made sure I knew what courses were offered what term (some classes are only offered in the spring, every other year, etc.) and planned accordingly.

I got into vet school after three years of undergrad- Here was my schedule for most of the pre-reqs:

Year 1: Gen chem 1+2, Bio 1+2, humanities, stats, math/calculus (ew)
Year 2: Orgo 1 +2, Genetics, Micro, Cell Bio, animal nutrition, English, humanities
Year 3: (the year I applied): biochem, Physics 1+2, Speech

It was definitely doable, but tough (I took 18-21 credits per semester, but that may be due to trying to take a lot of ansci classes too).

Yoooo.

So I'm a biochemistry and molecular biology major, which is as close to a double major that a single major could be. Most people finish in 4-5 years- I did it in 3. Did I do it? Yes. Did I make the GPA I wanted to? Not really, it's good but could be better. Would I do it again? ABSOLUTELY NOT. No way.

I wanted to see if I *could* finish a degree in 3 years. I wanted to save money and be a gunner so I finished in 3 years. I came in with 20 credit hours of AP courses and took 15-18 credit hours every semester. I also took summer courses even though I had a "full time" job working like 50 hours a week. I was also in the honors college and all of the work that comes with that.

I survived, but I didn't get the grades I wanted to. I got B's in classes that I easily could've gotten A's in. I almost got a C in a class that's an easy A. My GPA survived (I think I'm graduating at a 3.6?) but it could've been much better.

I also got sooooooOOoooooOoOo close to burn out every semester (this semester included) and I did burn out Fall of my Sophomore year. And burnout + other preexisting mental health issues hit me like a ton of bricks. Almost dropped out of college as a result. My mental health definitely struggled because of it. And I had made this outrageous goal my freshman year that I was going to graduate in 3, and I felt that I was constantly letting myself and my family down if I didn't.

So here are the courses I took:
Year 1: Chem 1&2, composition, Biochem research, ANSI, Speech, all of the humanities, Econ, plant science
Year 2: Ochem 1&2&Lab (8 hours), Animal Biology, Microbiology & Micro Lab, ethics, Nutrition, communications, more humanities
Year 3: Biochem 1&2&Lab (9 hours), genetics, physiology, physics 1&2, statistics, more humanities (why did my school require so many humanities omg)

On top of that, Year 3 I joined a research lab at the vet school to strengthen my application, to write my thesis, and to get research experience (holy cow research is so cool y'all). I'm also working 10 hours a week pet sitting and on the executive board of my sorority and of another vet related organization. Since getting accepted, I had to drop out of the honors college, stop writing my thesis, and I've been so ill the last 3 weeks, so I've essentially had to quit my research.

The moral of this stupid long post: yes, you can graduate in three years. But you need to really consider what you might be missing out on. (One thing that's actually really sad to me is that I'm never going to be able to go to the bars and drink/ have fun with my undergrad classmates and friends because I won't turn 21 until after I graduate.) As a result, I don't have super fun college memories to take with me- a couple parties here and there, but my life was revolved around graduating in 3 years, and I don't have that many great IRL friends because of it.

Yes. It's totally doable. But it's gonna be really really hard, and you realllly need to make sure that it's something you want to do. (Sorry for the long post, I'm oddly descriptive tonight)

Reactions: 3 users
I graduated in 3 years and will be attending Purdue's vet school in the fall. Here is mine:

Year 1: Bio 1+2, Gen Chem 1+2, Calculus 1+2
Year 2: Cell bio, English, Humanities, Orgo I, Phyiscs I, Animal Nutrition
Year 3: Microbiology, Orgo II, Physics II, Biochemistry
Summer: Genetics, humanities
I came in from high school with most of my humanities/speech requirements done

Last edited: